• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Heaven?

lunamoth

Will to love
Here is one definition that I find thought-provoking: heaven is a symbol of the possibility of transformation of all things through God's love.

What is your idea of heaven?

lunamoth

Will to love
On heaven, God, and love, Process and Reality by Alfred Whitehead:

What is done in the world is transformed into a reality in heaven, and the reality in heaven passes back into the world. By reason of this reciprocal relation, the love in the world passes into the love in heaven, and floods back again into the world. In this sense, God is the great companion -- the fellow sufferer who understands.

xkatz

So, one does not actually 'go' to heaven. How is heaven attained?

One does not 'go' to Heaven. At least, not as an afterlife. As to how it is attained, I would say it is by being a good and righteous person.

lunamoth

Will to love
One does not 'go' to Heaven. At least, not as an afterlife. As to how it is attained, I would say it is by being a good and righteous person.
So heaven is in this life. Do you believe in a continuation of life after this mortal life?

Where Is God

Creator
Here is one definition that I find thought-provoking: heaven is a symbol of the possibility of transformation of all things through God's love.

What is your idea of heaven?

An Earth where no one fights or kills or steals or pollutes or hates or lies. An Earth where everyone can just chill in peace.

lunamoth

Will to love
An Earth where no one fights or kills or steals or pollutes or hates or lies. An Earth where everyone can just chill in peace.
So, if God's will is always for love, peace, honesty, etc., and one aligns oneself with God's will (union with God), would that lead to heaven?

Where Is God

Creator
So, if God's will is always for love, peace, honesty, etc., and one aligns oneself with God's will (union with God), would that lead to heaven?

No, God's will is for humans to fight over him. We see it every day. Also he doesn't seem to like gays so that isn't ok in my book. Even if everyone aligned with "God" Earth would still be a crappy place to live in.

Morpheus

I see heaven as a state of mind - a way of being. This way of being continues with our spirit after physical death. So in a way you can have 'heaven on earth', by being an example of unconditional love.
But I agree also with xkatz, heaven is closeness, or union, with the Creator. Rather than a 'place'.
Actually, outside of this physical realm, there is no 'place' and no 'time'. These are constructs of human imagination. Hence the saying: "God is nowhere and everywhere".

lunamoth

Will to love
No, God's will is for humans to fight over him. We see it every day. Also he doesn't seem to like gays so that isn't ok in my book. Even if everyone aligned with "God" Earth would still be a crappy place to live in.
I don't see it that way. If I thought that was God's will, I'd choose to be an anti-theist.

lunamoth

Will to love
I see heaven as a state of mind - a way of being. This way of being continues with our spirit after physical death. So in a way you can have 'heaven on earth', by being an example of unconditional love.

I like this. :)

From your perspective, would a person actually need to believe in God to enter heaven?