• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is heaven like?

rusra02

Premium Member
No offense, but why would you want to be in a place where something could possibly go wrong. Heaven, IMHO, should not be based on the whims of others; it should be a personal experience.
I believe the true God, who created us, will never allow the peace and security of the earth to be disturbed again. (Psalm 72:7) Man's search for peace apart from God has absolutely failed, IMO.

jonathan180iq

That is my only reason for sticking around in this life. If I was not an agnostic and thought that there was no afterlife, then I would just give up on this life immediately and take myself out of it right here and now. Even though I am kind towards my family, the fact that they would grieve over my suicide will not change anything.
As an agnostic, your only reason for living is your mild faith in a magical place to live after you die??

You may need to rethink your position, and your reason for living, for that matter. The two ideas don't mesh.

Yes, eternal life without misery or suffering, I believe, which would have no meaning without knowing what those things are..

This concept of heaven is pretty weak. If you truly believed that heaven was an eternal state free of suffering, then why even worry about 80 years worth of occasional misfortune? So what if your spouse, parents and children die of cancer in the same year? You're all going to meet up pretty soon in the mildest cloud party of all time, right? Suffering wouldn't even exist now if you truly believed that.

I think you'd get bored with perfection pretty fast.
The Jesus narrative poses a similar problem. If he was an eternal being, God in flesh, then getting crucified isn't really all that bad, is it?
Getting beaten up for a few hours and then hanging from a tree for a little while isn't really much of a sacrifice since he got to immediately go back to where he came from, that celestial sky-party where no one experiences suffering, ever.

I mean, what if I really really wanted crab cakes on Tuesdays, but God decided that Tuesdays in heaven were made for Tuna Salad? I don't care how awesome the venue was, I'd be a little disappointed, something that I shouldn't feel in Heaven.

Here's a follow-up question...

What are the Elysian Fields like?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Now I am agnostic. I do not know if there is a heaven or not. But if there is, then what is it like? Is it an eternal blissful life that has no misery and no suffering? If so, then that is the life worth living to me and I will stick around in this life and bear through any suffering and misery in this life so that I can get that life since that is the ultimate life worth living to me.

That is my only reason for sticking around in this life. If I was not an agnostic and thought that there was no afterlife, then I would just give up on this life immediately and take myself out of it right here and now. Even though I am kind towards my family, the fact that they would grieve over my suicide will not change anything.

There is no way I am living a life of unhappiness and misery and I would have to take myself out of such a life. Me having a blissful life that has as little suffering and misery as possible is the only life worth living to me.

I came here to be happy and have no misery in my life since that is the only experience that makes my life worth living. Everything else and all other experiences are completely empty and devoid to me. So I do hope that me choosing to stay in this life anyway will pay off later and that I will get the ultimate eternal blissful life.

I believe it is eternal, blissful with no misery or suffering but it is not a physical life. For that you would have to wait for the Kingdom of God that Jesus establishes when He returns.

I believe there is another reason that a person should not take his own life. God will not let you into Heaven and will not grant you another life, so if you stick around you are a very unhappy ghost and if you stick with the body you could endure the flames of cremation.

I believe the only way to have any chance of that is to receive Jesus as Lord and Savior and He will give you eternal life which is a life worth living.

I believe there is a great deal to be gained by experiencing suffering. Perhaps it is like the marathoner who has completely exhausted himself by the end of the race but it is worth it to finish well.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I think Jesus said "the kingdom of God is within you"...or it might have been "among you"?

I believe within is correct. I believe that is only true if one makes Jesus his king. However the among actually works because those who have the Kingdom within are among those who don't.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
I believe within is correct. I believe that is only true if one makes Jesus his king. However the among actually works because those who have the Kingdom within are among those who don't.

Interesting. I did check, and most of the translations had "among you" rather than "within you", implying that Jesus represented the Kingdom of god.

Muffled

Jesus in me
What, in your opinion, are his misconceptions?

I believe the Buddha saw all suffering as bad but I believe some suffering is good:

1Pe 4:15 For let none of you suffer as a murderer, or a thief, or an evil-doer, or as a meddler in other men’s matters:
1Pe 4:16 but if a man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God in this name.

buddhist

I believe the Buddha saw all suffering as bad but I believe some suffering is good:

1Pe 4:15 For let none of you suffer as a murderer, or a thief, or an evil-doer, or as a meddler in other men’s matters:
1Pe 4:16 but if a man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God in this name.
If some suffering is good, then is more suffering better? Does anyone seek out suffering, without believing that that suffering will lead to greater pleasure/joy/happiness in the future?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Interesting. I did check, and most of the translations had "among you" rather than "within you", implying that Jesus represented the Kingdom of god.

I believe the context of the Paraclete suggests that "within" is correct. The concept of numbers or educated people is not proof in itself.

Muffled

Jesus in me
If some suffering is good, then is more suffering better? Does anyone seek out suffering, without believing that that suffering will lead to greater pleasure/joy/happiness in the future?

I believe what the text is saying is that it isn't always good but is good in context. Perhaps that is why there isn't any in Heaven or the Kingdom of God because suffering is only contextual when evil is present.

buddhist

I believe what the text is saying is that it isn't always good but is good in context. Perhaps that is why there isn't any in Heaven or the Kingdom of God because suffering is only contextual when evil is present.
Why should hope in a future possibility of the elimination of suffering (Christian thought), instead of putting effort into a working model which successfully and progressively lessens suffering now (early Buddhist thought)?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Yes, eternal life without misery or suffering, I believe, which would have no meaning without knowing what those things are..

Which immediately entails that the eternal life, if any, of dead embryos, or dead babies, is meaningless.

Right?

Ciao

- viole

Muffled

Jesus in me
Why should hope in a future possibility of the elimination of suffering (Christian thought), instead of putting effort into a working model which successfully and progressively lessens suffering now (early Buddhist thought)?

I believe one is not able to reduce suffering coming from those who do evil but I can reduce suffering that might come from me. Other people have to work at that but Christians have Jesus to do that for us. So Jesus says be as wise as a serpent (avoid suffering if one can) and as harmless as doves.

Muffled

Jesus in me
God promises eternal life in His kingdom here on earth. Only God is in Heaven and He does not promise to take people there.

I would think this verse covers that: Joh 12:26 If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will the Father honor.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Even that verse does not say the word heaven. And what about all the verses that say Jesus is coming bac to earth.

I believe Jesus has the consciousness of being everywhere and everywhere includes Heaven.

I believe we will be with Him when He does. I can't say categorically that no-one will stay in Heaven but I believe most will return with Jesus. There is a second resurrection but I haven't paid much attention to it.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

So, the young kids spirits, or souls (or whatever spiritual) that died at birth, or before that, will not be able to appreciate that? Assuming they go to Heaven, of course.

Ciao

- viole