• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is god?

Atomist

I love you.
is god like a literal being that cares about stuff... IE like a distinct entity with thoughts/feelings/etc or is it something abstract (or something that I don't know)?

Like does god care if you stole?
Like would he/she/it (I don't know gender of god) be "Bob is a bad person for stealing, and Amanda is a good person for donating to the poor"

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Depends who you ask, I guess.

If you're after my view on God, I guess it's this:

My own view is God is an entity, although whose nature I can't begin to fathom that is also beyond birth and death, gender, race, sex, caste, creed and so on. She is the all-in-all.

Does God care? I don't think so. Our karma will determine the repercussions when they are brought to fruition.

I have a panentheist, monist and transpersonal view of God though.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
is god like a literal being that cares about stuff... IE like a distinct entity with thoughts/feelings/etc or is it something abstract (or something that I don't know)?

Like would he/she/it (I don't know gender of god) be "Bob is a bad person for stealing, and Amanda is a good person for donating to the poor"

A spirit that does have personality...yes.
Creating Man is a demonstration of it.
Creations are a reflection of it's creator.

But to say God is flawed...just because man is a lesser creature?
I won't go that far.

God is thought to be perfect.
The rest of the creation works seem to operate just fine.

The fact that you are asking about God....
indicates not all things work as intended.

Then comes the topic of sin...that item that separates God and Man.

But then...which way did you want to go with this?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I doubt God is interested at all, in what we believe, in what we do in relation to a list of sins, or even what religion we profess to follow.

I do believe he is Interested in how we behave in respect to others and in respect to his Creation.

It is what we make of the Gifts and abilities, during the course of our lives, that seem paramount.

Most religious teachings show us how to behave, and this was a major aspect of Jesus teachings.

Some religions major on Punishments that should be given for breaking their rules. Others, Major on the positives of how you should treat others.

The best defination of GOD you can find in Holy Quran

Surah Ikhlas (Holy Qur'an 112:1-4) is:
Say: He is Allah, the One and Only! Allah, the Eternal, Absolute; He begetteth not nor is He begotten. And there is none like unto Him.

You cannot associate any gender to him , nor you can compare him to any body.
God does not perform ungodly acts:
God does not make mistakes:
God does not forget:
God only performs Godly acts:

and yes, Allah(GOD) Like/love those people who follow his commandemts and do good things and does not like those who do not follow him and donot like

You can also visit the following link to learn more
http://islam-faq.blogspot.com/2009/05/concept-of-god-in-islam.html

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
When I take a wander along the beach or climb a mountain I see God. When I sit still and feel my breath God is there.

I don't know what I am but it seems to me that that which moves me and moves through me is God.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Atomist,

What is god?

God is a word.
Words developed by humans.
Humans have evolved.
Humans developed language for communication.
Communication is necessary for understanding.
The understanding for the word God is:
Everything we see or do not see is ENERGY.
When all these energies are together as ONE unit it is labelled *GOD*.
Each for or no-form are all components of the total energy and so are individual energies which all together completes the universal energy.

Love & rgds

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
God is the complete and infinite Whole; the Beginning, the Middle and the End. Every single thing that exists is a manifestation of God. You are an expansion and manifestation of one particular aspect of the Divine. You are Divine. You just haven't realised it yet.