• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Contemplative Christianity?

Contemplative Christianity...great stuff! Who are well known for doing this?...the Quakers! I can't speak for the Jews as I know next to nothing about them, but I personally can't see why Muslims(besides sufis) and Christians(besides Quakers) cannot adopt seated meditative practices. Catholic monks probably do it, but I personally do not know of any

I like to do it every once in a while(or regularly, preferably), especially if I can get away from the TV...*chuckles*...

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Gal. 2:20

If we look at the verse that you mentioned, the emphasis is ‘crucified with Christ,’ I don’t think it is Christ in me but Christ lives in me. Christ is living in Paul because as a follower of Christ, he lived by faith because of what Christ has suffered on the cross. A agree with your phrase that having faith is action of the heart. How is the application? That is the question now?
Yes, Christ lives in me, is the same as Christ in me. I was paraphrasing it when I said it. But this should not cause any concern since the meaning is the same, and other verses explicitly state this "in me", such as,

"To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory". ~ Col. 1:27

"Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own;", 1 Cor. 6:19
And so forth. The theme of the divine being "in you" is throughout the NT, especially when Jesus says the kingdom of God is inside you. In the verse I cite of Paul's where he says Christ lives in him, or is in him, same thing, this the basically something that as I said before, we either allow, or disallow. The Spirit of God in us, does not come or go. It is always fully present, but not what is always aware to us, not what is guiding our minds and hearts. This is what the practice of meditation does. It makes you consciously aware of this, it lets you "walk in the the Spirit", so to speak because your mind becomes one with, in harmony with the mind of Christ. "Let this mind be in you which was in Christ Jesus". I say this is more than just simple belief, but practical, lived experience. Again, try it and see.

You say Anything that brings you closer to God, is then therefore useful and should not be rejected based on ignorance and fear.” The word of “anything” is dangerous. A lot of cult churches claimed they been closer to God. The new age spuriously do the same. Anybody can claim they are being closer to God. Where is the defining line of the word “anything”?
Anyone can claim it, yes. But not everyone truly bears the fruit. Goodness, that can be said of so very many Christians who stand behind the pulpit proclaimed they are close to God because they obey the Bible, they believe in it, they do not sin, etc, yet their hearts are corrupted. They do not fulfil the law of God, because they do not have that divine love living and breathing within them. "Love is the fulfilling of the law", "Love works no ill". That is not something you "believe in", with your mind giving mental consent to it, but a living, transformed heart, and subsequently mind. That is Christ living in you. You allow that love to live, and it guides all your thoughts, choices, and actions through that Love. Then, and only then, can anyone truly fulfil the "law of God", which is to love others as God loves you.

So, I do not judge by what some says. I discern by what I see. "By their fruits you shall know them". That is the true litmus test of any a profession of faith. Bear in mind of course, us being able to see through the eyes of love and forgiveness in order to discern. If we lack that, then it is our ego passing judgment on others. The Spirit discerns. "An evil tree cannot produce good fruit." There are many types of good trees that bear many types of good fruit. They come in all shapes and sizes. :)

I’ve met a so-called Christian who claimed that he is being closer to God because of his experience like what happened in the Pentecost. After that incident, a spirit entity started to communicate with him named as Jesus Christ. This person believes that he is the true Jesus Christ, and the Jesus Christ in the Bible is not the Jesus Christ that he’s been with.
First of all, there is such a thing known as mental illness. It's not caused by spirits. This person sounds like he suffers from schizophrenia. That is treatable through medications, which if it were a "demon" would have no effect. There are certain similarities between the schizophrenic and the mystical experience, but in the case of the former there is a breakdown, a dysfunction that occurs in these states of consciousness. It's kind of like what they say about how genius mirrors madness. ;)

I can't get into all the details of that here as it's beyond the scope of discussion, but to put a quick fine point to this example above, the mystic can see and know that Christ within them, but they can also see and recognize it in others and know it as themselves. The schizophrenic mistakes this experience of the divine within to be uniquely about themselves, that they THE Christ, and no one but then has this specialness. That he had a mystical experience, speaking in tongues is your reference, does not translate into speaking in tongues or other mystical states are therefore dysfunctional. That's simply not valid to equate the two together like this.

He is dependent on what the Jesus Christ has to say. One example is—the Bible is not to be followed, because according to Jesus Christ, it is not infallible Word of God. Again, how will you draw the line here?
"By their fruits you shall know them". Does it lead to a life more abundant, or into dysfunction?

For me, lack of understanding the scripture may lead to erroneous practice. How could a person depend on experience without the knowledge of Scripture? It should be always balance.
How can a person depend on a knowledge of scripture, without the knowledge of experience? I turn that back around, and this makes my very point about the importance of a contemplative practice. Yes, there should be balance. But where is that balance in those who never spend time in Silence listening to Spirit? It's all in the head. It's all what the mind thinks it can know by simply reading scripture, reasoning and deducing various ideas they get as they read it. There is a marked difference between this and listening in Silence. I believe there is a balance that needs to go both ways.

We cannot dwell much on experience without the knowledge of the scripture. If the scripture told us to test the spirit and warned us for the coming false doctrine, I don’t think this would be ignored.
I certainly don't think this should be ignored either. But how do you test the spirit, if you do not know the voice of Spirit yourself? Scriptures says nowhere, "you shall know them by their beliefs". I think to be spiritually discerning, you need to become spiritually Aware. And that is what the practice of meditation does, that just reading the Bible without that Awareness does not. Balance.

One example is driving an automobile, a person needs a manual before he could drive properly. He should know where is the clutch, the brake, the switch, the gear…..If I would try to do it without that manual/knowledge, I could not make the automobile run. Same as the Bible, without the spiritual manual, you get lost and may not know what is right and wrong.
One also has to understand the car needs gasoline, and that they actually have to pump some into it in order for it to run. :)

But as far as the analogy above goes, you actually should make this about a driver's manual, not an auto manual. We are not just a machine with parts we need to understand to be able to say we are good drivers. Driving takes actual experience. And a driver's manual, is not a listing of parts, but an explanation from others who have actual driving experience what works well to your benefit, and what does not. And guess what? As one gains experience actually driving, soon they can tell others from their own experience, rather than just quoting the book others wrote while not having driven themselves yet. No driver's manual can explain everything for every condition of roads everywhere. You have to be a driver who is experienced and can figure things out themselves.

How will you know what bears good fruit and what is bad? How about the good and evil? What will be the basis? How do you define your word “any” form you statement “Any practice, if it bears good fruit is serving God”?
You will know what does by what it produces. If someone says they serve God, yet bear bad fruit, then question that. If someone says this person over there does not serve God, yet they bear abundant fruit, then question the person accusing them of not serving God. Don't try to fit God into a box of your own understanding. Let God speak for himself through others. Let God defy all your assumptions. Then you begin to see God.

How could you explain this chapter for Christ opens God to the world (from v.1-5)?
Certainly, but I'll keep it extremely brief, though I could type 20 pages on this alone. "The Word", of John 1 is the Greek word Logos. In context it means Manifestor, or Revealer. Logos exposes God, through the activity of creation, illumination, knowledge, Truth, and so forth. Logos manifests God. All things were created through this Agent of manifestation. God manifests through the Logos. The Logos is God manifesting. So when I say Christ opens God to the world, it is thusly, as the Logos, the Manifestor of God. When in verse 14 it says the Logos became flesh, this says that the Jesus in man is a continuation of the activity of the Logos in its eternal nature. The Logos became seen through Jesus the man. So Christ opens God to the world.

"There was the true Light which, coming into the world, enlightens every man. He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. He came to His own, and those who were His own did not receive Him. But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God."

~Jn 1: 9-13​

It is because of this "mystical silence" is accomplished by the same methods used by New Agers to achieve their silence--the mantra and the breath! Contemplative prayer is the repetition of what is referred to as a prayer word or sacred word until one reaches a state where the soul, rather than the mind, contemplates God.
People of other culture have lots of practices you do too. Does this make them "of the devil"? ;) Of course not. You love your children like they do. You play with them like they do. They have learned in spiritual practice to abstain from drunkenness, and so has your traditions. And so forth. It matters not one iota in a negative way that others have spiritual practices that mirror one's own traditions. They pray too. Do you? They read scriptures too. Do you? I can go on and on here.

I'm avoiding going down a rabbit hole here of comparative religion with someone who appears to be at that place where they see only their own points of view religiously to have any validity. I for one, do not limit God to my own theological boxes, not anymore at least. ;) God is the God of all. If they have a genuine knowledge of God, yet say it within their own tradition's language, it is still what we call Christ. We are not saved by beliefs, but through faith when we realize God. If one culture found in a spiritual path a practice that aides in this, and another has found something similar in their path, then what does this say? What fruit does it bear, and by what standard are you judging God in the world?

Contemplative prayer teacher and Zen master Willigis Jager brought this out when he postulated:

Do not reflect on the meaning of the word; thinking and reflecting must cease, as all mystical writers insist. Simply "sound" the word silently, letting go of all feelings and thoughts. (lighthouse trails)
Yes. They too have something to say to this. At a certain point in the path to God one finds that the distinctions between this tradition and that tradition begin to not carry the significance of ultimate importance that we once assumed they did. They are important. They provide good. But ultimately, God is above and beyond any religion. I ask this question. What religion is God? Ultimately then, shouldn't we be that? This does not mean the Christian path is not true, that it teaches that Truth, but it does mean that Christ is beyond Christianity. Christ was before all religion. Christ is eternal.

There is neither Greek nor Jew, but all are One in Christ. The message is there in the Bible.

Last edited:

Yoshua

Yes, Christ lives in me, is the same as Christ in me. I was paraphrasing it when I said it. But this should not cause any concern since the meaning is the same, and other verses explicitly state this "in me", such as,

"To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory". ~ Col. 1:27

"Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own;", 1 Cor. 6:19
And so forth. The theme of the divine being "in you" is throughout the NT, especially when Jesus says the kingdom of God is inside you. In the verse I cite of Paul's where he says Christ lives in him, or is in him, same thing, this the basically something that as I said before, we either allow, or disallow. The Spirit of God in us, does not come or go. It is always fully present, but not what is always aware to us, not what is guiding our minds and hearts. This is what the practice of meditation does. It makes you consciously aware of this, it lets you "walk in the the Spirit", so to speak because your mind becomes one with, in harmony with the mind of Christ. "Let this mind be in you which was in Christ Jesus". I say this is more than just simple belief, but practical, lived experience. Again, try it and see.
1 Cor. 6:18-20
18. Flee immorality. Every other sin that a man commits is outside the body, but the immoral man sins against his own body.
19. Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?
20. For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body.

I just notice that your understanding of the scripture is literal and incomplete--to understand the right context. This scripture does not have to do with meditation, but to offer your body in purity. If you just leave v.18 & 19, and interpreted it literally, therefore are a lot of meaning may come out. The true meaning of the text is in v.18 & v.20; our body should not be corrupted with immorality, as using our body to sin. We must present ourselves with our body pure and blameless to glorify God.

Rom.12:1-2
1. I urge you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.
2. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

This is consistent with Rom. 12:1-2, we present our bodies as a living sacrifice, this becomes an act of worshiping God. Therefore, I believe that when Paul say Christ lives in him, means he is living as Christ-like and used his body to glorify God. It does not imply any supernatural indication in meditation.

Anyone can claim it, yes. But not everyone truly bears the fruit. Goodness, that can be said of so very many Christians who stand behind the pulpit proclaimed they are close to God because they obey the Bible, they believe in it, they do not sin, etc, yet their hearts are corrupted. They do not fulfil the law of God, because they do not have that divine love living and breathing within them. "Love is the fulfilling of the law", "Love works no ill". That is not something you "believe in", with your mind giving mental consent to it, but a living, transformed heart, and subsequently mind. That is Christ living in you. You allow that love to live, and it guides all your thoughts, choices, and actions through that Love. Then, and only then, can anyone truly fulfil the "law of God", which is to love others as God loves you.

So, I do not judge by what some says. I discern by what I see. "By their fruits you shall know them". That is the true litmus test of any a profession of faith. Bear in mind of course, us being able to see through the eyes of love and forgiveness in order to discern. If we lack that, then it is our ego passing judgment on others. The Spirit discerns. "An evil tree cannot produce good fruit." There are many types of good trees that bear many types of good fruit. They come in all shapes and sizes.
Just to add to it, the reality is “an evil tree produce evil fruit.” The evil fruit corrupts human without knowing that they are evil. For the evil one camouflaged as an angel of light (2 Cor.11:14). The thing is how would you detect as practitioner of contemplative Christianity—that there is no deception behind it?

First of all, there is such a thing known as mental illness. It's not caused by spirits. This person sounds like he suffers from schizophrenia. That is treatable through medications, which if it were a "demon" would have no effect. There are certain similarities between the schizophrenic and the mystical experience, but in the case of the former there is a breakdown, a dysfunction that occurs in these states of consciousness. It's kind of like what they say about how genius mirrors madness. ;)

I can't get into all the details of that here as it's beyond the scope of discussion, but to put a quick fine point to this example above, the mystic can see and know that Christ within them, but they can also see and recognize it in others and know it as themselves. The schizophrenic mistakes this experience of the divine within to be uniquely about themselves, that they THE Christ, and no one but then has this specialness. That he had a mystical experience, speaking in tongues is your reference, does not translate into speaking in tongues or other mystical states are therefore dysfunctional. That's simply not valid to equate the two together like this.
mystical
adj
1. (Alternative Belief Systems) relating to or characteristic of mysticism
2. (Theology) Christianity having a divine or sacred significance that surpasses natural human apprehension
3. (Alternative Belief Systems) having occult or metaphysical significance, nature, or force
4. a less common word for mysterious (freedictionary)

For us, the word mystical is not used for evangelical Christianity. We don’t considered ourselves as mystical.

"By their fruits you shall know them". Does it lead to a life more abundant, or into dysfunction?
Actually, when we mean “by their fruits you shall know them” by their practices which is not in line with the scripture, we can assure detection immediately.

How can a person depend on a knowledge of scripture, without the knowledge of experience? I turn that back around, and this makes my very point about the importance of a contemplative practice. Yes, there should be balance. But where is that balance in those who never spend time in Silence listening to Spirit? It's all in the head. It's all what the mind thinks it can know by simply reading scripture, reasoning and deducing various ideas they get as they read it. There is a marked difference between this and listening in Silence. I believe there is a balance that needs to go both ways.
Well, for better understanding of what I’m saying, one example is the one that I mentioned before:

1. I urge you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.
2. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

If I don’t know about this scripture, I can offer my body to corruption as immorality, drunkenness, used my body as my earnings, smoking, placing a lot of tatoos, body piercing, and others that you can do to your physical body to satisfy oneself. Experience is followed when you commit our body holy and acceptable to God, you will gain a healthy body, pure and blameless in the sight of God.

The other way of what you are telling is like this: I will seek God with the things I would like to gain supernatural experiences like I can see and feel like God. I will consciously seek higher level of spirituality to attain the level of godliness to be like God who is powerful. Therefore I can discern and become like God who is all knowing. This is seeking an experience first before the Scripture.

I certainly don't think this should be ignored either. But how do you test the spirit, if you do not know the voice of Spirit yourself? Scriptures says nowhere, "you shall know them by their beliefs". I think to be spiritually discerning, you need to become spiritually Aware. And that is what the practice of meditation does, that just reading the Bible without that Awareness does not. Balance.
I don’t think so. Reading the Bible is not in the head knowledge only. I do believe that when we read the Bible, we start to have faith in Him knowing what God want for us. What we should do and what should not do. The Bible as the Word of God mentioned the following :

Heb. 4:12
12. For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Rom. 10:14
14. How then shall they call upon Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher?
15. And how shall they preach unless they are sent? Just as it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring glad tidings of good things!"
16. However, they did not all heed the glad tidings; for Isaiah says, "Lord, who has believed our report?"
17. So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.

You will know what does by what it produces. If someone says they serve God, yet bear bad fruit, then question that. If someone says this person over there does not serve God, yet they bear abundant fruit, then question the person accusing them of not serving God. Don't try to fit God into a box of your own understanding. Let God speak for himself through others. Let God defy all your assumptions. Then you begin to see God.
Then, how would you know that is the bad fruit that bears? What is your point of reference?

People of other culture have lots of practices you do too. Does this make them "of the devil"? ;) Of course not. You love your children like they do. You play with them like they do. They have learned in spiritual practice to abstain from drunkenness, and so has your traditions. And so forth. It matters not one iota in a negative way that others have spiritual practices that mirror one's own traditions. They pray too. Do you? They read scriptures too. Do you? I can go on and on here.

I'm avoiding going down a rabbit hole here of comparative religion with someone who appears to be at that place where they see only their own points of view religiously to have any validity. I for one, do not limit God to my own theological boxes, not anymore at least. ;) God is the God of all. If they have a genuine knowledge of God, yet say it within their own tradition's language, it is still what we call Christ. We are not saved by beliefs, but through faith when we realize God. If one culture found in a spiritual path a practice that aides in this, and another has found something similar in their path, then what does this say? What fruit does it bear, and by what standard are you judging God in the world?
Do you believe that all is God including you is God? and the belief that all is one and one is all?

Yes. They too have something to say to this. At a certain point in the path to God one finds that the distinctions between this tradition and that tradition begin to not carry the significance of ultimate importance that we once assumed they did. They are important. They provide good. But ultimately, God is above and beyond any religion. I ask this question. What religion is God? Ultimately then, shouldn't we be that? This does not mean the Christian path is not true, that it teaches that Truth, but it does mean that Christ is beyond Christianity. Christ was before all religion. Christ is eternal.

There is neither Greek nor Jew, but all are One in Christ. The message is there in the Bible.

So, you believe in Zen Buddhism? this is what Willigis Jagger trained for.

Thanks

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
1 Cor. 6:18-20
18. Flee immorality. Every other sin that a man commits is outside the body, but the immoral man sins against his own body.
19. Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?
20. For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body.

I just notice that your understanding of the scripture is literal and incomplete--to understand the right context. This scripture does not have to do with meditation, but to offer your body in purity.
It's amusing to hear someone say I take scripture too literally. :) You misunderstand the context why I was quoting this passage. I was quoting it because you tried to say that when Paul says "Christ lives in me", is not the same thing as saying "Christ in me" (which in reality it is). I cited this verse because it explicitly says "the Holy Spirit who is in you". Christ in you, Holy Spirit in you, same thing. I was not citing the passage as speaking about meditation. I later mentioned that what meditation does is help allow you to open to the Spirit which is within you, but this passage's emphasis is about purification.

That too can and does tie into meditation practice, to be sure, but I wasn't citing the verse to say its teaching about meditation directly. It was to make my point "in you" is a valid understanding. It's one I think you still grapple with. I do take that literally: "In you". The best way to understand it I feel is a certain "dual citizenship", or "dual nature". Which is why meditation practice is important towards the renewing of the mind, to "let this mind which was in Christ Jesus be in you.".

If you wish to talk about the presenting of the body as a living sacrifice, that's fine. It wasn't my point in citing the passage however. I'll just briefly cite that the rest of that passage refers to what I have talking about what occurs through meditation practice, the "renewing of your mind". The whole person is involved; body, mind, and soul. We need to take care of our bodies, our minds, our soul, and our spirit. All of them are interconnected. If you just focus on the body, living a physically healthy life, not polluting and abusing it, that is good as it helps keep the mind healthy, but it is not developing the mind. If you keep the body and mind healthy, that is good, but it doesn't focus on developing a knowledge and awareness of the soul. But if you are on such a path that is working on developing the spiritual path which directly affects the soul, in order to do so you also need to take care of the body; eating healthy, exercise, abstain from forms of self-abuse, self-neglect, and so forth, as well as take care of the mind by abstaining from feeding it garbage and allowing it to "think on good things", "Set you mind on the things above," and so forth. If you fail to do those, it will negatively impact your spiritual path.

I'll add one other thing to this, if you do develop the spiritual on top of those, that will dramatically affect both the body and the mind from a "top-down" influence. Without that 'top down' influence, the effort at the spiritual becomes and effort of the body or the mind (ego) trying to apprehend God. The mind cannot truly serve God, without the influence of Spirit upon it. Spiritual development is very direct, and meditation practice is an exercise quite specifically geared to exercise "soul" muscles, so to speak. Whereas study is to develop the mind, and kinesthetic motion the body. Keeping the mind and the body pure, are prerequisites for spiritual practice, but they in themselves are NOT spiritual practice. I think this is where you are mistaken in believing that that is, by simply abstaining from self-indulgence and self-abuse, or simply be reading scripture, that is all that is needed. Those that see these as the path in themselves, tend to become legalists, substituting religious practices for actual spiritual awakening.

This is consistent with Rom. 12:1-2, we present our bodies as a living sacrifice, this becomes an act of worshiping God.
Only if actual worship is involved. :) It's the worship "in spirit and in Truth", that meditation is about. It is not just going to the temple and offering your body, but "in spirit", that is where the rubber meets the road. It does not say worship in body, alone.

Therefore, I believe that when Paul say Christ lives in him, means he is living as Christ-like and used his body to glorify God. It does not imply any supernatural indication in meditation.
Well yes, we use our bodies, for sure. "Christ in you", means in your body, as well as your mind, your heart, and your soul. Here is the key difference and hopefully this will help you understanding. One is mimicking, the other is being. Do you see the difference between the two? A child can act very maturely, imitate what an adult does, but they are not actually mature. They are acting maturely. Inside however, they are still immature children. They are only mature, from the inside, when they have grown through life experience and develop into mature adults.

Spiritual growth does happen naturally over time, moving someone who sees "follow the rules", imitating Christ in behaviors as "being Christian", into a realization that it is more about the spirit and nature of the heart in its actions that is "Christ-like". It moves from external imitation, to internal realization. Those that only have external imitation, who emphasize that, tend to be stuck spiritually. The external becomes a substitute for spiritual awakening, which is far more difficult to move into than simply conforming to the law and calling it "justified in Christ", or something. What meditation practice does, is it dramatically accelerates that otherwise natural internal growth.

If someone is on a path towards Unity with God, if they are so driven to Unite spiritually with the Divine, there is no other exercise to develop that faster than a contemplative practice. It is like going to college where you become directly immersed in Spirit. It's like learning another language which is accelerated through saturation or immersion in the use of the language itself. But again to emphasize, do not mistake mere conformity to external rules with internal reality. It's not the same thing at all. God looks at the heart, not how clean your clothes are.

Just to add to it, the reality is “an evil tree produce evil fruit.” The evil fruit corrupts human without knowing that they are evil. For the evil one camouflaged as an angel of light (2 Cor.11:14). The thing is how would you detect as practitioner of contemplative Christianity—that there is no deception behind it?
You are conflating what the mind thinks, with the fruits of the spirit. The proof is in the fruit, not in whether or not how they believe about God fits with your way of thinking about it. Too often, in fact all the time, people assume that what they believe is right and therefore what everyone who thinks differently about the same thing from the way they do, are "deceived", following the evil one camouflaged as an angel of light, etc. :) How does someone know? By being spiritually aware. "My sheep hear my voice and they know me". That's how. But this is not possible when one only uses the mind to try to see truth. You have to hear with spirit, and in order to hear with spirit, you have to become spiritually awake, spiritually self-aware. It's that simple. And that happens by developing that type of awareness. And the most effective path to that, is a deep contemplative practice, where one actually engages Spirit much more actively, directly.

mystical
adj
1. (Alternative Belief Systems) relating to or characteristic of mysticism
2. (Theology) Christianity having a divine or sacred significance that surpasses natural human apprehension
3. (Alternative Belief Systems) having occult or metaphysical significance, nature, or force
4. a less common word for mysterious (freedictionary)

For us, the word mystical is not used for evangelical Christianity. We don’t considered ourselves as mystical.
Speak for yourself. :) That's too bad, actually. As the entire "mystery of God in Christ" is in fact a mystical truth. I'm curious what your source for these "definitions" above is? It is clearly not an unbiased, or informed, understanding of what the word actually means. In fact, I have a feeling he doesn't really understand it itself, but is someone speaking out of their own ignorance to these matters. But if you want to use this rather skewed definition list above, then look at number 2. That's closer to the reality of it, but it is not a "theology". A theology is a mental model of what really amounts to a type of metaphysical point of view. What mysticism actually is, is as I have been describing it, a very direct and immediate communion of mind and spirit with the Divine. Not all this silliness from this person's point of view.

I'll accept these definitions instead:

Mysticism
noun
  1. 1.
    belief that union with or absorption into the Deity or the absolute, or the spiritual apprehension of knowledge inaccessible to the intellect, may be attained through contemplation and self-surrender.
Mystic
noun
  1. 1.
    a person who seeks by contemplation and self-surrender to obtain unity with or absorption into the Deity or the absolute, or who believes in the spiritual apprehension of truths that are beyond the intellect.
Mystical
adjective
  1. 1.
    of or relating to mystics or religious mysticism.
    "the mystical experience"
Now, those are accurate. When I refer to these terms, please use these common definitions that I accept, along with all other mystics. I don't mean anything close to what your source made up himself.

Actually, when we mean “by their fruits you shall know them” by their practices which is not in line with the scripture, we can assure detection immediately.
Where is this stated in scripture? No, it is behaviors that issue forth from the heart that is what the fruits of the Spirit are. It lists them in Galatians 5:22-23,

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law."

These are not practices, these are not doctrinal beliefs or tenets of faith one mentally holds. You're response reflects the legalistic understanding of what faith means, which is about conformity to external standards. None of the above, straight from the Bible, speak of that. How do you bear the fruit of love, joy, peace, etc, except through a transformed heart, mind, spirit, and soul? These are the fruits of an internal Source. The Spirit is "in you", and from "in you", issues forth these fruits. You judge by the actions and behaviors that show these types of fruits. "In line with scripture", is a matter of what you believe, where or not they agree with your doctrines and your beliefs. What is "in line with scripture", is what is listed above. "Love is the fulfilling of the law", says Paul. It comes from Spirit within. That is how you judge, not with what you believe to be true, which is wholly dependent on your own spiritual depth and maturity.

The other way of what you are telling is like this: I will seek God with the things I would like to gain supernatural experiences like I can see and feel like God.
This does not reflect the reality of what either I or other legitimate mystics are doing. I think you have not gleaned from what I have been saying the actual intent is. Nowhere have I said the goal is to "gain supernatural experiences". That is not the goal. The goal is to "gain Christ". If you are seeking for self-gain, then you are focused on yourself, not Christ. I explicitly explained this in depth in previous posts. If you would like I could cite all the many instances, but it was primarily addressed when we were discussing the paradoxical meaning of "seek and you shall find". Do you recall now?

I will consciously seek higher level of spirituality to attain the level of godliness to be like God who is powerful. Therefore I can discern and become like God who is all knowing. This is seeking an experience first before the Scripture.
Again, this is a fictional person that those who you seem to cite have imagined of us. That not only ignores what I have explicitly stated, as well as @Vouthon addressed, but it mischaracterizes and maligns us. It is false. I can't make that clearer. It has nothing to do with seeking power. In fact, it is 100% the exact opposite. It is about surrendering all your power to God. And through that, then we find God alive in us. Prior to that, it's frankly about your ego, seeking your salvation, your happiness, your afterlife guarantee, and all that. Now those, are seeking for power, which not what the mystical experience or contemplative path is about. It is about putting on the mind of Christ, though abandoning all self-seeking.

I don’t think so. Reading the Bible is not in the head knowledge only. I do believe that when we read the Bible, we start to have faith in Him knowing what God want for us. What we should do and what should not do.
You said you thought there should be balance, saying we should read the Bible and not rely on experience. I agreed, but pointed out that it goes the other way around as well, that that balance needs to include experience. What you are at this point unaware of is that though, yes, you may indeed have a spiritual opening that occurs reading the Bible, that is what I would call a taste, an invitation to communion. There is something substantially different as a matter of degrees.

To give an analogy, imagine reading about the Ocean, having never been to the Ocean. One's thoughts can transport them through the imagination to what this imagined enormity and its attributes is like, relating to one's own current personal experiences with what sound similar. The imagination fills in the rest, inspiring the mind and the heart in its imagination. Then there living near the Ocean, where occasional the smell comes to you on the random breeze. You can feel its moisture on the skin when the wind is right. You feel its nearness to you. This is of course a matter of degrees deeper than the one who lives their lives at a much greater distance, only reading about the Ocean and feeling its beauty through the wings of imagination, inspiring themselves through hope.

And then you have those who stand in the Ocean, close their eyes, and fall backward into the Ocean, immersed with their entire being it its infinite wetness. That is a matter of degrees beyond those who read about it and feel inspired, or those who occasional feel its actual nearness on the random breeze. The mystical experience and practice is actually going to the Ocean and becoming directly immersed in it, swimming in its expansive depth. Nothing informs the mind, the body, and the soul like directly experiencing this Ocean by direct immersion with it. It is as I said, a matter of degrees. And the knowledge imparted by the latter is not attainable any other way.

The Bible as the Word of God mentioned the following :

Heb. 4:12
12. For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
"Living" being the operative word here. I see the Word of God as living, not static words on a page that you interpret with the mind. The Word, is Logos, as I explained earlier. Add to this the focus on the "intentions of the heart". It is all about about internal knowledge. And that is a spiritual awareness. And that is developed by going within, communing with Spirit which is "in you". It's not about you reading something from the Bible and passing judgment on others. That is the exact opposite of its meaning and intention.

Then, how would you know that is the bad fruit that bears? What is your point of reference?
Anything that is opposite of peace, joy, love, patience, compassion, etc, such as judging your brother using the Bible as a weapon, self-righteousness, divisiveness, resentment, jealousy, and so forth. In other words, the works of the flesh. That's all pretty self-evident in the Bible.

Do you believe that all is God including you is God? and the belief that all is one and one is all?
That's more a strict pantheistic view based on the way you described it. I don't think of God in those terms.

So, you believe in Zen Buddhism? this is what Willigis Jagger trained for.
What does "believe in Zen Buddhism" mean? I don't think any Zen Buddhist would describe themselves as "believing in" it, as if it was a matter of believing in a deity. Do I see there is some truth in what Zen Buddhism teaches? Sure. I believe there is truth in all perspectives. There is also somethings I don't agree with, but if I "believed in it" in any sense what you may be referring to, I would be a Zen Buddhist then, which would mean I exclusively practice its practices and follow the teachings of its linage.

I'm not exactly sure why you seem to think Zen Buddhism is "evil" or something. I can't exactly fathom that. But then you do appear to be misinformed about a lot of these things. What do imagine makes them "evil"?

BTW, could you please not use colored texts? It makes it very difficult responding as I have to switch from rich text to BB Code to edit out all the color flags as it makes all my responses purple! :) There really no benefit making the words in color. Simply bolding and italics work just fine to emphasize something. Thanks.

Last edited:

lovemuffin

τὸν ἄρτον τοῦ ἔρωτος
Simon Peter encouraged his audience to do the same faith in Jesus Christ just as he had by learning to know Jesus. I believed this is the relationship with Jesus Christ. From that, you may be able to use your spiritual gifts. The message told us to walk in righteousness and continue to grow so we can be useful for the ministry of the Lord Jesus Christ.

The part that was of interest to me is the idea of becoming "partakers of the Divine nature". I originally cited this text in response to your question about biblical passages that suggest a communion with God in a direct/mystical way. It's not clear that what you've said responds at all to the point I was making, which is why I'm reiterating it. It's not a question of disagreeing with your characterization here, as much as suggesting that there is clearly more to the passage than just an exhortation to moral behavior, although certainly in the epistles those exhortations also exist.

It seems to me that you are, in responding, tending to point out other parts of the Biblical texts, which is not invalid, but it's not clear that those interpretations or meanings preclude the other mystical/experiential readings.

Then, how do you define baptism? Is this an act of faith that you are a follower of Jesus Christ?

In the same vein as above, the answer is surely yes. Baptism is an act of faith, a Christian sacrament, and an expression of adopting Jesus Christ as Lord. The question is not whether it's less than that, but whether it's also more than that. And I think the answer is again clearly yes. Baptism is a very prominent symbol in Christianity, capturing as it does all the evocative power of death and resurrection, sin and redemption, as well as the idea of new and eternal life, because Christ has destroyed death (cf. 2 Tim 1:10, Heb 2, etc)

So that those who have been baptized into Christ, in "putting on Christ" participate in that new and eternal life, that liberation from sin and death, that Christ effected through his death and resurrection, of which baptism is a primary symbol.

Therefore, what is “eternal life” for you? Is this an experience only, or the destination or place such as heaven with Jesus Christ?

I think it's useful to avoid prejudicing the question with too much metaphysics, as far as the question of a "place"? Do we mean a spatio-temporal location within the physical universe? Such an interpretation would seem problematic, but then what does "place" mean outside of the context of the physical universe? What does it mean when Jesus says he is going to "prepare a place" for us? I don't think it's necessary to either affirm or deny what the experience of that place is like. What is the experience of "heaven"? I don't know, and I don't think you can get a fully systematic metaphysical answer to the question from the Biblical texts either.

That said, eternal life in the Christian sense is very clearly life in the presence of Christ; in the presence of God, in the fullest sense of that. The very limited claim I (and windwalker obviously) am making is that life in that presence, and life that has the character of the eternal, can exist in the present time, and it seems insufficient to try to make sense of the Christian scriptures without acknowledging that component of the understanding of the ancient Christians who wrote the texts. It is not to say that other elements of their understanding don't exist: they exhort Christians to live by particular moral and community standards, to believe in the truth of certain propositions, to perform certain actions and live according to a particular lifestyle, aimed at the fullness of the "life of the world to come". All of that is true. But it's also true that a defining goal of those practical elements is a transformative experience of God, which is why I cited 2 Peter as a very direct example of this understanding: it is through the promises of Christ that we may become partakers of the Divine nature. I think it's fair to say that according to the authors of the texts, the goal of Christian life is exactly that participation in Divine life, both now and later.

Yoshua

It's amusing to hear someone say I take scripture too literally. :) You misunderstand the context why I was quoting this passage. I was quoting it because you tried to say that when Paul says "Christ lives in me", is not the same thing as saying "Christ in me" (which in reality it is). I cited this verse because it explicitly says "the Holy Spirit who is in you". Christ in you, Holy Spirit in you, same thing. I was not citing the passage as speaking about meditation. I later mentioned that what meditation does is help allow you to open to the Spirit which is within you, but this passage's emphasis is about purification.

That too can and does tie into meditation practice, to be sure, but I wasn't citing the verse to say its teaching about meditation directly. It was to make my point "in you" is a valid understanding. It's one I think you still grapple with. I do take that literally: "In you". The best way to understand it I feel is a certain "dual citizenship", or "dual nature". Which is why meditation practice is important towards the renewing of the mind, to "let this mind which was in Christ Jesus be in you.".
By the way, maybe we are using the same word “meditation” but we are not in the same line of application. The biblical meditation is not like the eastern meditation by emptying your mind due to the entrance of evil spirit/demonic attack. Act of meditating is reading the scripture and reflecting. Thus, by reading it, we observe, study and apply. We may also include prayer here, a prayer that is not the breathe prayer.

If you wish to talk about the presenting of the body as a living sacrifice, that's fine. It wasn't my point in citing the passage however. I'll just briefly cite that the rest of that passage refers to what I have talking about what occurs through meditation practice, the "renewing of your mind". The whole person is involved; body, mind, and soul. We need to take care of our bodies, our minds, our soul, and our spirit. All of them are interconnected. If you just focus on the body, living a physically healthy life, not polluting and abusing it, that is good as it helps keep the mind healthy, but it is not developing the mind. If you keep the body and mind healthy, that is good, but it doesn't focus on developing a knowledge and awareness of the soul. But if you are on such a path that is working on developing the spiritual path which directly affects the soul, in order to do so you also need to take care of the body; eating healthy, exercise, abstain from forms of self-abuse, self-neglect, and so forth, as well as take care of the mind by abstaining from feeding it garbage and allowing it to "think on good things", "Set you mind on the things above," and so forth. If you fail to do those, it will negatively impact your spiritual path.

I'll add one other thing to this, if you do develop the spiritual on top of those, that will dramatically affect both the body and the mind from a "top-down" influence. Without that 'top down' influence, the effort at the spiritual becomes and effort of the body or the mind (ego) trying to apprehend God. The mind cannot truly serve God, without the influence of Spirit upon it. Spiritual development is very direct, and meditation practice is an exercise quite specifically geared to exercise "soul" muscles, so to speak. Whereas study is to develop the mind, and kinesthetic motion the body. Keeping the mind and the body pure, are prerequisites for spiritual practice, but they in themselves are NOT spiritual practice. I think this is where you are mistaken in believing that that is, by simply abstaining from self-indulgence and self-abuse, or simply be reading scripture, that is all that is needed. Those that see these as the path in themselves, tend to become legalists, substituting religious practices for actual spiritual awakening.
Joshua 1:8
8. "This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success.

Ps. 1:2
2. But his delight is in the law of the Lord,

And in His law he meditates day and night.

The Bible does not say anything about meditation in other form, but by meditating the Scripture.

Only if actual worship is involved. :) It's the worship "in spirit and in Truth", that meditation is about. It is not just going to the temple and offering your body, but "in spirit", that is where the rubber meets the road. It does not say worship in body, alone.
Rom. 12:1
1. I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service

Yes, having a body that is pleasing, holy and acceptable to God is an act of worshiping Him. Meditation in worship is another thing here, and does not connect with this verse.

You are conflating what the mind thinks, with the fruits of the spirit. The proof is in the fruit, not in whether or not how they believe about God fits with your way of thinking about it. Too often, in fact all the time, people assume that what they believe is right and therefore what everyone who thinks differently about the same thing from the way they do, are "deceived", following the evil one camouflaged as an angel of light, etc. :) How does someone know? By being spiritually aware. "My sheep hear my voice and they know me". That's how. But this is not possible when one only uses the mind to try to see truth. You have to hear with spirit, and in order to hear with spirit, you have to become spiritually awake, spiritually self-aware. It's that simple. And that happens by developing that type of awareness. And the most effective path to that, is a deep contemplative practice, where one actually engages Spirit much more actively, directly.
Do you mean one should engage the Holy Spirit? I think (biblically) the Holy Spirit should dwell in us, and not engaging. Is that what you mean?

Where is this stated in scripture? No, it is behaviors that issue forth from the heart that is what the fruits of the Spirit are. It lists them in Galatians 5:22-23,

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law."
These are not practices, these are not doctrinal beliefs or tenets of faith one mentally holds. You're response reflects the legalistic understanding of what faith means, which is about conformity to external standards. None of the above, straight from the Bible, speak of that. How do you bear the fruit of love, joy, peace, etc, except through a transformed heart, mind, spirit, and soul? These are the fruits of an internal Source. The Spirit is "in you", and from "in you", issues forth these fruits. You judge by the actions and behaviors that show these types of fruits. "In line with scripture", is a matter of what you believe, where or not they agree with your doctrines and your beliefs. What is "in line with scripture", is what is listed above. "Love is the fulfilling of the law", says Paul. It comes from Spirit within. That is how you judge, not with what you believe to be true, which is wholly dependent on your own spiritual depth and maturity.
What I mean from here is--by looking on their practices, we can check it out with the scripture if what they are doing is in accordance with the written word.

Anything that is opposite of peace, joy, love, patience, compassion, etc, such as judging your brother using the Bible as a weapon, self-righteousness, divisiveness, resentment, jealousy, and so forth. In other words, the works of the flesh. That's all pretty self-evident in the Bible.
If that will be the point of reference, a Hindu can have joy, a Buddhist can have peace, a New Ager can have love, a Muslim can have kindness….. how would you reconcile that?

If a person use the Bible to rebuke and corrected someone, I don’t think this is judging. It is because of love, people usually see it as judging and attacking. If I stopped someone from killing another person, I applied my knowledge, trust and obedience in the word of God that killing is a sin, my point of reference is the Word of God. If I tell someone that he is the most lazy person that I’ve ever met, then I may say that is judging a person. Still, it goes down to the Word of God by not judging because it is only my own word to tell him that he is lazy.

All what we do is still clinging to the word of God—the Bible. This is what I expect to hear from you, and not by looking at the external attributes as peace, love, joy…..

What does "believe in Zen Buddhism" mean? I don't think any Zen Buddhist would describe themselves as "believing in" it, as if it was a matter of believing in a deity. Do I see there is some truth in what Zen Buddhism teaches? Sure. I believe there is truth in all perspectives. There is also somethings I don't agree with, but if I "believed in it" in any sense what you may be referring to, I would be a Zen Buddhist then, which would mean I exclusively practice its practices and follow the teachings of its linage.

I'm not exactly sure why you seem to think Zen Buddhism is "evil" or something. I can't exactly fathom that. But then you do appear to be misinformed about a lot of these things. What do imagine makes them "evil"?
If there is some things that you don’t agree, then why stick on it?

Zen Buddhism focus on their experience in living—the actions of daily life; more focus on experience. Their true spiritual path is different from what Jesus taught us. There is an emptying of mind here; that’s what makes it evil and contrary to the mind of Christ. Anything that robs your consciousness with Jesus Christ is considered not from God. You cannot be a Buddhist and a Christian at the same time, but some people did this, as I did it before as Roman Catholic and believe in Buddhism.

Please read this short detail about Zen Buddhism.

Zen Buddhism is, first and foremost, a practice that was uninterruptedly transmitted from master to disciple, and that goes back to the spiritual awakening (Satori in Japanese) of a man named Siddharta Gautama (Shakyamuni Gotama in Japanese) - The Buddha- 2500 years ago in India.

Zen is Zazen or Zen meditation (za meaning sitting, and Zen meaning meditation in Japanese), or seated meditation. That is, it is a way of vigilance and self-discovery which is practiced while sitting on a cushion. It is the experience of living from moment to moment, in the here and now.

Zazen is an attitude of spiritual awakening, which when practiced, can become the source from which all the actions of daily life flow- eating, sleeping, breathing, walking, working, talking, thinking, and so on.

Zen Buddhism is not a theory, an idea, or a piece of knowledge. It is not a belief, a dogma, or a religion; but rather, it is a practical experience. We cannot intellectually grasp Zen, because human intelligence and wisdom is too limited- the dojo (the hall where Zazen is practiced) is different from the university.

Zen is not a moral teaching, and as it is without dogma, it does not require one to believe in anything. A true spiritual path does not tell people what to believe in, rather it shows them how to think; or, in the case of Zen- what not to think.

Zen Buddhism also rejects metaphysical theories and rituals, and focuses entirely on the practice of Zazen. Zen is very simple. It is so simple, in fact, that it's very difficult to grasp.

In the silence of the dojo, simply sit down, stop moving, and let go your thoughts. Focus just on your Zazen posture and your breathing. Keep your back straight. Let your ego and your unconscious mind melt away, merge with the universe. This is Zen. (zen-buddhism.net)

Thanks

Yoshua

The part that was of interest to me is the idea of becoming "partakers of the Divine nature". I originally cited this text in response to your question about biblical passages that suggest a communion with God in a direct/mystical way. It's not clear that what you've said responds at all to the point I was making, which is why I'm reiterating it. It's not a question of disagreeing with your characterization here, as much as suggesting that there is clearly more to the passage than just an exhortation to moral behavior, although certainly in the epistles those exhortations also exist.

It seems to me that you are, in responding, tending to point out other parts of the Biblical texts, which is not invalid, but it's not clear that those interpretations or meanings preclude the other mystical/experiential readings.

What are the other parts of the biblical texts that are invalid? Can you please tell me?

Thanks

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
By the way, maybe we are using the same word “meditation” but we are not in the same line of application. The biblical meditation is not like the eastern meditation by emptying your mind due to the entrance of evil spirit/demonic attack.
I use the terms meditation and contemplation interchangeably. I understand the use of the word in the context of "to ponder", but even in a spiritual practice of "meditate on scripture", that goes beyond mere 'thinking about' into a certain "emptying yourself" through the words. The goal is to not try to think about the meaning rationally, as it is to let go and allow the meaning to come up to you, as it were. @Vouthon explained this in more detail back in post #7 of this thread. Even the term contemplation also means reflection, and pondering, and it can cause confusion when speaking to someone what you are referring to. It is the context that determines the use and meaning of the terms. If I say I practice meditation or contemplation, that is referring to more than just reading about something and thinking about it. It is more than just a "serious thinking" about something. :)

Now, as far as your understanding of Eastern meditation practices, I think they show the same misinformation you've repeated from others I've seen before in this thread. In Eastern meditation practices, and there are many types, not just one, I don't believe in any of them does "emptying your mind" mean to "go blank". What you "empty the mind" of, is simply distracting thoughts. In other words you enter into silence where the chattering discursive mind is not the focus of your awareness. In reality you become more aware, more conscious, than when you are constantly distracted by all that beehive of constant, unproductive thinking clouding the mind and your vision.

That is all that is meant by "emptying the mind". Not this uninformed notion of "going blank" and letting demons in! :) Where that notion comes from, who the heck knows? It is just simply ignorance speaking from whoever came up with that without any sort of support. It's just fear and ignorance speaking manufacturing a paranoid fiction. Where is that in the Bible? :) I would really love to see the support that meditation opens the door to demonic possession, and don't pull something out of context to support that where it is not speaking about meditation practices, such as Lk. 11:24-26 which has nothing to do with a practitioner of meditation! It doesn't exist, as far as I can tell.

And if it were true that meditation opens you to demonic possession, then the Buddhist monasteries would be full of demon-possessed lunatics, rather than the incredibly calm and compassionate souls we see in the world of reality. In reality however, those whose minds are undisciplined, those who live life unaware, are much more likely to exhibit the uncontrolled "works of the flesh", and a list of bad behaviors. To actually quote something attributed to the Buddha to underscore this point about their practices, "More than those who hate you, more than all your enemies, an undisciplined mind does greater harm." So in reality, a meditation practice makes you less prone to harmful issues that seek your destruction. To me it is consistent with 'putting on the full armour of God' where you have live in constant awareness, which would obviously include a disciplined mind (which is what meditation practices teach), which allows you to "With all prayer and petition pray at all times in the Spirit". To pray without ceasing, is in reality the practice of "mindfulness meditation".

The Bible does not say anything about meditation in other form, but by meditating the Scripture.
It doesn't say a lot of things about a lot of things you practice in service of God. We've covered all this ground before. It can be seen in there, I see it, but it is not explicitly laid out saying, "sit in position with your eyes slightly closed, calmly let go of distracting thoughts," etc. The Bible also doesn't explicitly lay out the structure of your Sunday Church services either. This is a non-argument.

Rom. 12:1
1. I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service

Yes, having a body that is pleasing, holy and acceptable to God is an act of worshiping Him. Meditation in worship is another thing here, and does not connect with this verse.
You don't want it to be there. Why? Why are you opposed to something that brings good to those who practice it, where it brings them closer to God beyond anything else they have done? Why oppose this? What is the basis for your misgivings? Bad experience with it? Fear and paranoia of the unfamiliar? I don't get it. Meditation practice is absolutely a form of worship. It is truly communion with the Beloved. It is an exchange of Divine Love. Why would you oppose that?

Do you mean one should engage the Holy Spirit? I think (biblically) the Holy Spirit should dwell in us, and not engaging. Is that what you mean?
When I say engaging that, I mean it in the sense of like engaging the mind. It other words, availing yourself of what you already have available to you, as opposed to doing nothing with it. So engaging the Spirit within, means to avail yourself of that Gift, not just stick it on the shelf of 'beliefs'. Actively engage what you already have, allow it to let you grow, inform you, teach you, guide you, and so forth.

What I mean from here is--by looking on their practices, we can check it out with the scripture if what they are doing is in accordance with the written word.
That is not what that passage is speaking about. It never says you judge a person's spiritual condition by their religious practices. You gauge the spiritual condition of the person by their behaviors. If you see a practice is directly responsible for causing harm, then say something about it then and show how it is related. But do you see harm coming from meditation practices? Where? Point to it, if you can. But do be careful that citing some extreme case as though that reflects the whole can be turned on anything, such as saying airplanes are dangerous because of a crash here and there, or that being religious makes you a terrorist. No, show me where the practice as a whole does more harm, than it does good. I will show you where it does more good, and in fact everyone should practice it because of its proven, demonstrated benefits. Show the detriments if any, if you can. I do not believe you can in any substantive manner, and this whole objection is baseless and ill-informed.

If that will be the point of reference, a Hindu can have joy, a Buddhist can have peace, a New Ager can have love, a Muslim can have kindness….. how would you reconcile that?
The more important question is how do YOU reconcile that? :)

Last edited:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
The biblical meditation is not like the eastern meditation by emptying your mind due to the entrance of evil spirit/demonic attack.
Actually, it is about "emptying the mind," or, more specifically, "sitting in silence and listening for God."

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Various people. I'm not interested in presenting an argument, I made a statement, take it however you want.
I take it as wholly rejected without any support. "Various people"? Who? What credibility do they have? "Various people" claim that they are Jesus Christ. Does that make it valid enough to support in making statements of fact, such as you did? In other words your claim has absolutely zero credibility. It should be ignored as simple baseless ignorance on display.

lovemuffin

τὸν ἄρτον τοῦ ἔρωτος
What are the other parts of the biblical texts that are invalid? Can you please tell me?

I think you misread my post, or I did a poor job communicating, since I did not intend to imply that any part of the biblical text is invalid, nor even that any particular interpretation was invalid. Rather, I was saying that I did NOT think your points were invalid, but rather that they did not give a complete picture of the texts.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
The thread's been very interesting to me. I was unaware of these Contemplative practices.

The idea that meditation could open a person to spirits and demons is a relatively new one. Its mainly just fear-mongering by evil ministries of the sort that have healing services and do leg lengthenings and things like that, and it also has sold some books. God knows I wasted my time reading one or two of them in addition to Frank Peretti's horribly irresponsible and accusative fiction books. Its basically the same kind of superstitions that the Victorians had, believing that ghosts could come out of mirrors and such.

lovemuffin

τὸν ἄρτον τοῦ ἔρωτος
The thread's been very interesting to me. I was unaware of these Contemplative practices.

By way of introduction my sort-of-ad-hoc categorization of the contemplative tradition in Christianity is to divide it roughly into various groups like this
  • The desert monasticism of Egypt and Syria, and Asia Minor from the 4th-9th centuries
  • The Greek monastic tradition of Mt. Athos, and especially hesychasm from the 11th century to the present, including it's cousins in Russian or eastern european orthodoxy
  • The medieval Catholic tradition and it's ongoing expressions. St. John of the Cross, Catherine of Sienna, Teresa of Avila, Meister Eckhart, Bernard of Clairveaux, and etc
  • The modern expressions like "centering prayer", Keating, Merton, and etc.
I'm betting others can recommend more modern authors (I'm not sure of protestants. Maybe Cynthia Bourgeault?) but most of the texts I'm familiar with are from the eastern Christian tradition, and I'd like to note a few just for reference and for anyone interested.

Maximus Confessor: Selected Writings

Maximus is a 7th century monk who lived in Constantinople, the center of the Christian empire. He's a useful place to start because he seems to gather together the various strands of orthodox theology in the preceding couple centuries and sums them up succinctly. To give you an idea of his mystical bent:

"When in the full ardor of its love for God the mind goes out of itself, then it has no perception at all either of itself or of any creatures. For once illumined by the divine and infinite light, it remains insensible to anything that is made by him, just as the physical eye has no sensation of the stars when the sun has risen. All the virtues assist the mind in the pursuit of divine love, but above all does pure prayer. By it the mind is given wings to go ahead to God and becomes alien to all things.

When through love the mind is ravished by divine knowledge and in going outside of creatures has a perception of divine transcendence, then, according to the divine Isaiah, it comes in consternation to a realization of its own lowliness and says with the conviction of the prophet: 'Woe is me, for I am stricken at heart; because being a man having unclean lips, I dwell in the midst of a people with unclean lips and I have seen with my eyes the King, the Lord of hosts.'" (Four Hundred Chapters on Love)
The Ascetical Homilies of St. Isaac the Syrian

Isaac was a 7th century monk and, briefly, bishop of Ninevah, in a monastery that still exists close to modern Mosul, in Iraq. Isaac is virtually unknown in the west, as far as I can tell, but is probably the single most well known monastic writer on contemplative prayer and spiritual life in eastern Christianity.

"Humility restrains the heart. Then, once someone has become humble, immediately God's mercy surrounds him and embraces him. Once this mercy has drawn close, the heart straightaway becomes aware of its benefit, for a certain confidence and power surge up within it... Because a person has found an entrance to all these good things by way of prayer, henceforward he will take delight in prayer of faith, his heart exulting out of confidence, and no longer blindly and as a result of hearsay, as had hitherto been the case...

The purpose of prayer is for us to acquire love of God, for in prayer can be discovered all sorts of reasons for loving God. Love of God proceeds from conversing with him; this conversation of prayer comes about through stillness, and stillness comes with the stripping away of the self.

Just as the whole force of the law and the commandments laid down by God for humanity has its boundary extending up to purity of heart, as the Fathers have said, so all the types and varieties of prayer which human beings address to God have their boundaries extending up to purity of heart. Groans, prostrations, heartfelt requests and supplications, sweet tears and all the other varieties of prayer, as I have said, have their authorized boundary only as far as pure prayer. Moving inwards from purity of prayer, once one has passed this boundary, the mind has no prayer, no movement, no freedom, no requests, no desire, no longing for anything that is hoped for in this world or the world to come. For this reason, after pure prayer there is no longer any prayer: all the various stirrings of prayer convey the mind up to that point through their free authority; that is why struggle is involved in prayer. But beyond the boundary, there exists wonder, not prayer. From that point onwards the mind ceases from prayer; there is the capacity to see, but the mind is not praying at all. (from the Ascetical Homilies)
Other books of interest:

The Philokalia

The Philokalia (Love of Beauty) is a collection of ancient texts preserved and read within the Hesychast monastic tradition in Greece. It contains excerpted writings on monastic life, including the tradition of prayer, contemplation, and silence, from many authors.​

The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church

A modern book that does a pretty good job (in my opinion) of explaining the theological basis of the mystical tradition that arose in eastern Christianity and which is exemplified by authors like Isaac and Maximus. It gives a good overview without having to wade too deeply into specific theologians like Gregory Nazianzen, Basil the Great, Gregory of Nyssa, John of Damascus, and others who were important in the formation of the orthodox doctrine delineated at the ecumenical councils​

The Way of a Pilgrim

A 19th century Russian classic. It encapsulates in a fictional narrative a lot of the basic spiritual values and ideas of the eastern mystical tradition.​

The Sayings of the Desert Fathers

A collection of aphorisms preserved from early Christian monasticism in Egypt. More practical and less theological, they offer a pretty unique perspective on Christian life, with an emphasis on humility, love, and detachment. They are an interesting antidote to excessive theological speculation ;)

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Any spiritual activity is "capable" of producing any sort of spiritual result. Open is open. That's why one has to practice this stuff with intention.
You know, that's an interesting response and I happen to agree with it. I always say to anyone practicing meditation that there are two basic guiding principles and those are intention, without expectation. That intention part if the key. It really is what I see as the true exercise of faith. You will through faith remain present, emptying yourself before the divine, open to what light is given to you, and able to withstand whatever darkness from within you encounter. I brought this up earlier in my many responses in this thread that what a meditation practice does it exposures you to all that which is hidden in the dark places within us.

We encounter the demons we have created through self-rejections, self-loathings, shame, guilt, and so forth. These 'demons' are aspects of our own selves we do not wish to acknowledge, and like angry, hurt children lash out at us through that pain. Our own fear of these "monsters" empower them. And what happens when we "open" ourselves, is we will in fact at some points meet the devil, so to speak. This is why I think some utterly freak out and slam the door on the practice, externalizing the whole affair and further dissociation from these aspects of themselves, leading ultimately to deeper and deeper dissociation and ensuing pathologies; religious fanaticism, self-abuse, and other lunatic behaviors, moving into pathological regressions and so forth. And then those who themselves fear what is within themselves, who turn to religious fanaticism to hide away these "devils", will hear of these folks who dabbled with the spiritual in meditation practices, such as New Age, and had a terrifying encounter with their own shadows, then cite them as "experts", and add them to a long list of "demon inspired" practices they fear. It's all based on fear and ignorance.

But as you say "intention", is what really will hold you there, through faith in the divine to "overcome" this fear and to ultimate heal the dissociated self, that 'demon' we made out of our own hidden and repressed selves, and liberate it into the service of Light. This, is healing. This, is standing before that Light and 'giving an account' of all who we are, naked, forgiven, and unashamed before the throne of God. Very, very, very few are willing to face this, but it is exactly that intention that empowers you to stand. You stand before the mirror of the divine to see yourself, accept yourself in the Light of the Knowledge of God, and to truly be Free. That, is salvation. In this life, and all life to come.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
You know, that's an interesting response and I happen to agree with it. I always say to anyone practicing meditation that there are two basic guiding principles and those are intention, without expectation. That intention part if the key. It really is what I see as the true exercise of faith. You will through faith remain present, emptying yourself before the divine, open to what light is given to you, and able to withstand whatever darkness from within you encounter. I brought this up earlier in my many responses in this thread that what a meditation practice does it exposures you to all that which is hidden in the dark places within us.

We encounter the demons we have created through self-rejections, self-loathings, shame, guilt, and so forth. These 'demons' are aspects of our own selves we do not wish to acknowledge, and like angry, hurt children lash out at us through that pain. Our own fear of these "monsters" empower them. And what happens when we "open" ourselves, is we will in fact at some points meet the devil, so to speak. This is why I think some utterly freak out and slam the door on the practice, externalizing the whole affair and further dissociation from these aspects of themselves, leading ultimately to deeper and deeper dissociation and ensuing pathologies; religious fanaticism, self-abuse, and other lunatic behaviors, moving into pathological regressions and so forth. And then those who themselves fear what is within themselves, who turn to religious fanaticism to hide away these "devils", will hear of these folks who dabbled with the spiritual in meditation practices, such as New Age, and had a terrifying encounter with their own shadows, then cite them as "experts", and add them to a long list of "demon inspired" practices they fear. It's all based on fear and ignorance.

But as you say "intention", is what really will hold you there, through faith in the divine to "overcome" this fear and to ultimate heal the dissociated self, that 'demon' we made out of our own hidden and repressed selves, and liberate it into the service of Light. This, is healing. This, is standing before that Light and 'giving an account' of all who we are, naked, forgiven, and unashamed before the throne of God. Very, very, very few are willing to face this, but it is exactly that intention that empowers you to stand. You stand before the mirror of the divine to see yourself, accept yourself in the Light of the Knowledge of God, and to truly be Free. That, is salvation. In this life, and all life to come.
It sounds great like anything can be faced down, but is that really possible for everyone? In addition to self loathings there are abominable pasts, deep childhood depressions, physical pains, mortal losses, mental problems, loves and other distractions. Maybe some things don't go away when you face them and are just part of who you are, analogous to continuous physical pain. It may not be possible for some people who have been deeply rejected to feel truly accepted. I am not easily convinced that its just a matter of willingness and being forgiven. It sounds good though.