• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if Pennsylvania just sank?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Many years ago, when I was about 7 and my older brother was about 10 or 11, we were traveling from our home (which was then in upstate NY) on our way to our grandparents in Chicago for Thanksgiving. As we were traveling through Pennsylvania, my brother asked a question of my father which has stuck with me ever since: "What if Pennsylvania just sank?"

For reasons which I never quite understood, my brother had some kind of fear or loathing of Pennsylvania. Maybe he wanted Pennsylvania to sink, I'm not sure.

My dad answered the question as best he could, indicating that we'd have to drive around a big sinkhole in order to get to Grandma and Grandpa's house. We'd have to either go through Canada or go down through New Jersey, across to Delaware, then Maryland, WV, then Ohio to get back on the road to Grandma's.

I was wondering if the state would sink exactly along the state borders. Of course, we happened to be IN Pennsylvania at the time, but my dad said that, instead of talking, we should be keeping our eyes peeled to see if there are signs of sinking.

I guess my question is: What makes us think of weird things like this? What sort of weird, off-the-wall, totally outlandish questions have you come up with?

Later on, when we moved to Arizona, we had already been familiar with the famous question: What if California fell into the sea? We would expect to have beachfront property here in AZ.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What sort of weird, off-the-wall, totally outlandish questions have you come up with?

Well, I may have come up with one or two in my time, if my memory serves me. :D

@Quagmire is really good at these things.

Most recently, I happened to be wondering if the god of the mystics was like a joke that "you 'get' well enough to laugh at it, but that you don't really understand."

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I guess my question is: What makes us think of weird things like this? What sort of weird, off-the-wall, totally outlandish questions have you come up with?
Who knows? It may have been prophetic knowledge. Pennsylvania may yet become Pennsylantis.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Many years ago, when I was about 7 and my older brother was about 10 or 11, we were traveling from our home (which was then in upstate NY) on our way to our grandparents in Chicago for Thanksgiving. As we were traveling through Pennsylvania, my brother asked a question of my father which has stuck with me ever since: "What if Pennsylvania just sank?"

For reasons which I never quite understood, my brother had some kind of fear or loathing of Pennsylvania. Maybe he wanted Pennsylvania to sink, I'm not sure.

My dad answered the question as best he could, indicating that we'd have to drive around a big sinkhole in order to get to Grandma and Grandpa's house. We'd have to either go through Canada or go down through New Jersey, across to Delaware, then Maryland, WV, then Ohio to get back on the road to Grandma's.

I was wondering if the state would sink exactly along the state borders. Of course, we happened to be IN Pennsylvania at the time, but my dad said that, instead of talking, we should be keeping our eyes peeled to see if there are signs of sinking.

Later on, when we moved to Arizona, we had already been familiar with the famous question: What if California fell into the sea? We would expect to have beachfront property here in AZ.
A better question ; why hasn't New Zealand sunk yet, and what can we do to speed the process?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Who knows? It may have been prophetic knowledge. Pennsylvania may yet become Pennsylantis.

I've read about a town in Pennsylvania which was built on a coal mine, and there's been this ongoing coal fire which has lasted for decades. I saw footage where they showed fires coming up from holes in the street. It was kind of surreal to look at.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've read about a town in Pennsylvania which was built on a coal mine, and there's been this ongoing coal fire which has lasted for decades. I saw footage where they showed fires coming up from holes in the street. It was kind of surreal to look at.
PA is actually a portal to Old Scratch’s realm.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
PA is actually a portal to Old Scratch’s realm.
I once drove through Florida.
We were lost, trying to back to Indiana from a Key West "New Years Celebration", that lasted for a week or two. We didn't want to get off the highway, because of what Miami is like at night for a couple of gay white boys in a Chevy station wagon loaded with vacation gear.
So, away we went. Into the swamp, with a quarter tank of gas, and a credit card with a questionable balance. This was the olden days, before cell phones. Much less banking online.
As I drove through the jungle, gas gauge dropping, sunburnt skin peeling, all I could see was gas flares from oil rigs sihouetted against trees. I wondered, "How much did we really spend on tequila shots at that place I don't remember? How much did Ken tip that super hot dude who brought us drinks, then disappeared with our credit card for what seemed like an hour?
Did he get the card back before we left?"

Then the car quietly coasts to a stop.

No no.
Pennsylvania isn't Old Scratches' realm. That's Florida.
Tom

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Isn't New Zealand that EuroChristian country that even the Covid virus prefers not to spread in?
Tom
Nah. To the contrary, it seems the EuroChristian gods fued against women will continue, as NZ is showing us the reason women should not allowed to usurp power over men is because female ledership makes it way harder hard for god's end of the world plagues to spread.:D

joe1776

Pennsylvania isn't sinking. It's shrinking. I know because I was born in Punxsutawney, PA (of Groundhog Day fame). We left there when I was seven and, when I went back years later, everything was much smaller than I remembered it.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Nah. To the contrary, it seems the EuroChristian gods fued against women will continue, as NZ is showing us the reason women should not allowed to usurp power over men is because female ledership makes it way harder hard for god's end of the world plagues to spread.:D

To be fair, it's not their first transgression. They were the first country to give women the vote.
I don't want to link that to their earthquake issues or anything. You can draw your own conclusions...