• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What I need to know about Wicca

xkatz

I am interested in Wicca. I think it's because it emphasizes a lot on nature and that stuff and the fact that it can be practiced alone. However I was wondering with the God and the Goddess, can you worship any god/goddess you choose or are there certain gods/godesses that exist in the Wicca faith already? Also, do most people worship them seperatly (polytheism) or as one (monotheism)?

Demonic Kitten

It really depends on the person. From what I can remember there is not set God and Goddess. I don't follow the Wiccan religion, but I have studied it a bit. Take a look at all the different Gods and Goddesses and go from there. Research and read everything you can get your hands on. When it is time the God and Goddess will reveal themselves to you.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
You can choose the Ones you want. More often They choose you. I belong to the Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egyptian Mythology. My fiance follows some of the Greek Ones. Many do worship The God and The Goddess in general though. There is a lot of flexibility, but then again, some may disagree with me.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
So I will be choosen by a god and goddess essentially? Is their any paticular way they do so OR is it just fate?
They will do what They want when They want. They will identify Themselves to You in a way that is appropriate for you. A lot of people get dreams of Them while sleeping. I get visions or ideas while I am conscious (and I have not talked to anyone else that gets vibes from Them this way). I have also heard of Them just dropping hints, like you may see Their name or a symbol of Them repeatedly in a short period of time. Keep in mind, the last one would work only for a situation where such would not be expected, ie: if you are at a museum or reading a book about Mythology then you would expect to see representations of Them everywhere. To be honest, I wanted it so bad before I got my first "vision." After it happened the first time, I researched Him. I found that it was no coincidence. He represents a lot of what I am so it is only natural that I should be His. For every One that has followed I have found a reason that They have become a part of my spiritual path. They came to me, but once They did, the reason(s) became obvious. I hope that isn't too complex?

DonSinger

I have not found my faith yet, but the wiccan religion seems close to what im dealing with religiously. On more than one occasion water has spoken to me through the drips in our backyard waterfall. At first i thought i was crazy, but every time it happens it makes perfect sense.
In the wiccan faith is water and wind more feminine entities than masculine? Water is always a woman when i hear her. I have yet to hear from fire and earth, and wind i've only faintly heard once.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
I have not found my faith yet, but the wiccan religion seems close to what im dealing with religiously. On more than one occasion water has spoken to me through the drips in our backyard waterfall. At first i thought i was crazy, but every time it happens it makes perfect sense.
In the wiccan faith is water and wind more feminine entities than masculine? Water is always a woman when i hear her. I have yet to hear from fire and earth, and wind i've only faintly heard once.
I've always understood a person's association with an element to be through their Zodiac sign. There are many sources on the matter, but the one I just looked at real quick said that Water and Earth are feminine while Wind and Fire are masculine. What is your astrological sign?

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
taurus.
Thats not how i see it though. i see earth as strong, enduring, and masculine. Just my opinion i guess.
True, but we do know of One called Mother Earth. ;)

By the way, according to my source, Taurus is associated with the Earth element, in case you didn't know and that post was a coincidence. The elements do work together though. You can utilize any or all of them as needed. You can also interpret things your way and make them work your way too. This goes a bit deeper though so use caution.

xkatz

In the wiccan faith is water and wind more feminine entities than masculine? Water is always a woman when i hear her. I

To my knowledge the elements in Wicca don't have genders really. But it's up to you ultimately; so whatever floats your boat.

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
I am interested in Wicca. I think it's because it emphasizes a lot on nature and that stuff and the fact that it can be practiced alone. However I was wondering with the God and the Goddess, can you worship any god/goddess you choose or are there certain gods/godesses that exist in the Wicca faith already? Also, do most people worship them seperatly (polytheism) or as one (monotheism)?

I would also suggest taking a look at Taoism. It is very nature oriented. We don't worship Gods or Goddesses however.

The Neo Nerd

I always thought that wicca had a god and a goddess.

and if you worshipped any other gods/esses that would make you a witch.

I believe there is a lot of overlap between the two systems.

-Q

Line Noise

non practicing abs master
I've always understood a person's association with an element to be through their Zodiac sign. There are many sources on the matter, but the one I just looked at real quick said that Water and Earth are feminine while Wind and Fire are masculine. What is your astrological sign?

... for the profile game, from east to west, it would be more relative to the balance of elements within a chart in naming one's dominate element.

Line Noise

non practicing abs master
I always thought that wicca had a god and a goddess.

and if you worshipped any other gods/esses that would make you a witch.

I believe there is a lot of overlap between the two systems.

-Q

It is a bit of a generalist term these days. a b.y.o.g or perhaps a paradigm, whether easier to start with or to name with a general assumption that someone else would understand what it means than getting into the details and complications of personal beliefs and practice.

of one generation, perhaps more aligned with the early modern revival politics and relations; it appeared to be more associated with an unnamed lord and lady, a masculine and a feminine - which to be explained at a superficial level was not far off from how the representation of the trinity represents the one - a name which was little else than an interchangeable, exchangeable mask - a personification - as to apply a (different) set of attributes or to bring it down to a level for in which intent is more focused as for the mind is more readily able to grasp the concept or purpose of.

Or perhaps just a glass closet for the esoteric opera for survival and recruitment - adapt all which can be adapted - reclaim the new along with the old.

But such questions often beg for a gardnerian debate, other traditions, paths which a title of witch is given inside or not - fitting or not, lineages and off shoots of the orders ... which I should decide whether to be a bunny of or a fudd before entering.

Mr Cheese

True, but we do know of One called Mother Earth. ;)

By the way, according to my source, Taurus is associated with the Earth element, in case you didn't know and that post was a coincidence. The elements do work together though. You can utilize any or all of them as needed. You can also interpret things your way and make them work your way too. This goes a bit deeper though so use caution.

the elements are generally given in neo paganism as

air=male
fire=male
water=female
earth=female

east, south, west and north (respectivly)

Of course we can look to tarot for further insight...
here we have the four suits...
swords
wands
cups
coins

(some swap wands and swords, thus swords become fire, but both are masculine)

What makes something male and somethign female?
How their natures are....
Men have penises....
Women have vaginas...

Giving and receiving, analytic and catalytic...

But if we go back to tarot we can look at the court cards
king, queen knight page (or whatever is in your deck)
fire water air and earth respectivly...

so we see a suit of cups for example has king queen knight and page
Thus Cups, or water is composed of fire water air and earth....it contains them all.

SO while Earth is seen as feminine.... it al;so contains all four elements.
Thus, Fire can also be feminine even if it is usually and predominantly masculine in its "being"

WHen male is Female « Prayers and Reflections

Princess?

generally tarot decks go

KIng fire
Queen water
Knight air
and here must be your princess earth

…

You of course raise a valid point.
We see this in kabbalah in the fractal nature of things, worlds within worlds. Or Etz chaim (tree of life) within each emanation.

So we see this in tarot, water contains fire air water and earth
and so on.

So what do we get?

YHVH the tetragrammaton is generally seen as:

father mother child consort

The Yod and the Vau are male
the two Hehs are female.

This of course can lead to us looking to the Gnostic myth of Sophia, there being a heavenly Sophia and a fallen material Sophia (Sophia Ecamoth)

But we return to our oringinal conundrum. How can male be female and female be male?

Well as we have demonstrated lately, certain people in this group are incapable of seeing polarity and SEX for what it is, a DYNAMIC changing force.

So the four elements in the court cards in tarot represent:
The four qworld of Kabbalah
origination
creation
formation
expression

or as more standard from WIKI:

Atziluth (אֲצִילוּת), or “World of Emanations”; on this level the light of the Ain Sof radiates and is still united with its source.

Beri’ah (בְּרִיאָה) or “World of Creation”; on this level is the first concept of creation ex nihilo however without any shape or form. This is also where the Highest Ranking Angels are to be found.

Yetzirah (יְצִירָה) or “World of Formation”; on this level the created being assumes shape and form.

Asiyah’ (עֲשִׂיָּה) or “World of Actions”; on this level the creation is complete, however it is still on a spiritual level. At a later stage there is the ‘physical Asiyah’ comprising our physical world with all its creatures.

from idea to implementation… air leads to fire to water to earth
idea…transformation of idea..emotions and spirit and physicality…
etc.

We also see dynamic polarity. Not only do the four elemnets in the court cards represent the four modes, four world, 4 elements, 4 animals (ezekiel) etc. but they also represent polarity.

For as you point out, Fire contains water and earth, thus fire is Male but it is also female. How is this possible you cry?

It is possible as polairty is DYNAMIC, it changes constantly. One returns to kabbalah, the sefirot, they are not male or female, they are always BOTH at all times. A first mistake of many beginners is to think that Hod mercury is male, Venus Netzach is female etc. This is incorrect…they are both. Polarity IS DYNAMIC. We can see this dynamism in pretty much ALL paths that speak of polarity. The Hindus do not refer to it as a DANCE without reason.

So How can Yod and Vau be female and male?
It depends on where you are.
WHich world, which expression you are in.

Or ultimatly:

We see things as we are
Not as they are

–Kahlil Gibran

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
I think anyone posting on this thread was called either an atheist, agnostic, or Satanist. So I think that was more of a trollin.:troll: