• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What I learned from "Star Talk with Neil deGrasse Tyson"

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
What I learned from "Star Talk with Nei deGrasse Tyson", from the world-famous astrophysicist and comedian, on climate change:

We've doubled the CO2 levels in less than 200 years- 100x faster than by nature.

1 degree celsius would power hundreds more hurricanes, floods, tornados, and blizzards every year.

The mayors of citeis around the world... have been getting together and forming networks and signing on pacts with each other to set targets and timetables for greenhouse gas emissions.

The temperature might go up 1 to 5 degrees in a hundred years, and there is still a lot of debate about how long it would take to reach the tipping point... I don't think we need to go drastic right away.

Pope Francis worked as a chemical technician.

Even if we depleted all our non-renewable resources we still don't know if it would turn out like Venus, but we would push earth easily beyond the point where we could live.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
We've doubled the CO2 levels in less than 200 years- 100x faster than by nature.
On a positive note I think it keeps the bugs from reaching full size.

Even if we depleted all our non-renewable resources we still don't know if it would turn out like Venus, but we would push earth easily beyond the point where we could live.
Do you mean that if all the coal and oil get used that the Earth will become too extreme for us?

The temperature might go up 1 to 5 degrees in a hundred years, and there is still a lot of debate about how long it would take to reach the tipping point... I don't think we need to go drastic right away.
Tipping towards extinction or towards rising sea levels or what?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
What I learned from "Star Talk with Nei deGrasse Tyson", from the world-famous astrophysicist and comedian, on climate change:

1 degree celsius would power hundreds more hurricanes, floods, tornados, and blizzards every year.

The mayors of citeis around the world... have been getting together and forming networks and signing on pacts with each other to set targets and timetables for greenhouse gas emissions.

Maybe Thanos had the right idea.

tenor.gif

Have a lottery and take out half the population. No other solution seems plausible at this point. Otherwise I'm hoping science comes up with an alternative energy source.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Yeah, it is positive.

Do you mean that if all the coal and oil get used that the Earth will become too extreme for us?
Yes.

Inevitable extinction

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Human extinction will almost certainly not arise from climate change, but large scale changes in climate will cause some areas to be far less livable. There will be pressure for entire populations to relocate and as you know from our southern border problems that sort of change is not welcome. Wars may ultimately result from this.

leov

Higher temperature periods alternated lower ones many many times with humans around or not, I do not think that we can do much about this, of course, less industrial pollution would do us all good.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Higher temperature periods alternated lower ones many many times with humans around or not, I do not think that we can do much about this, of course, less industrial pollution would do us all good.
Hi leov, welcome to RF.

The book is paraphrased as, "We've doubled the CO2 levels in less than 200 years- 100x faster than by nature."

leov

Hi leov, welcome to RF.

The book is paraphrased as, "We've doubled the CO2 levels in less than 200 years- 100x faster than by nature."
A few kilometers deep of ice covering melted very fast at the end of the last ice age melted rather fast.

leov

A few kilometers deep of ice covering melted very fast at the end of the last ice age melted rather fast.
I understand human activity contributed into GW but doesn't caused it, we do not really know .

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

The difference is that humans are causing this latest increase. It is not hard to understand. Why not avoid the avoidable? Are you saying that we cannot change the fuels that we consume?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I would not call thousands of years "rather fast":

The last glacial maximum peaked about 18,000 years ago and the ice was mostly gone by about 11,000 years ago.

leov

Then you are not being consistent. Man made global warming has barely begun. It will get faster and faster as the Earth wzrms.
I do not think it is man made, Sun made, we contribute 1-2% (which is too much, if you ask me) but it does not push us into abyss, Solar activity may be or not.