• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Have You Done For Your Country Lately?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Cool, I like the Colts because my favorite color is blue. Not really but I get you ... at least a little bit.

Well, I am Swiss. And that is important stuff. I would go so far to postulate that cows are the very reason the West became so powerful.

However, We don’t have anything much more important than that round here. Is it bad?

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Kennedy: "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." So, I don't do much, but try not to snap into a slim jim crazy, and attempt to establish a little joy, peace, happiness, and comfort in life. I'm speaking of my own of course. I couldn't even begin to pretend I could establish any of this for anyone else. So, how about you? What have you done for your country lately?

I vote
I engage my congressmen
I Buy American when I can
I support military charities
I support regular American charities.
I serve Jury duty when called and do not try to get out of it
Plus a lot of little misc stuff like Flag on National holidays, support vet events, and promote candidates for office

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don't kill anyone, and I let Indiana subsidize my education so I could take my degree to another state. I tried enlisting, but my knees and shins were even bad then. But, I'm more into doing four local community than country. That's a large, abstract idea, and ideally we would be citizens of Earth. But the community where I live, that's where the efforts of anyone will most be felt.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I vote
I engage my congressmen
I also do those. I also think the troops should be lavishly treated when they are done in the military, and they must not be abused by being sent in as aggressors or securing interests that aren't of immediate and direct importance to national security. And I don't think they should be politicized. If someone is physically and mentally able to serve and wants to, it's a wonderful privilege the rest of us have by not needing mandatory conscription because of volunteer army is sufficiently large enough.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Lately?
I just gave about half of my quarterly bonus back through taxes (though it was against my will) to be wasted on something I probably don't agree with but that has been a constant every quarter and through several different administrations.

Skwim

Veteran Member

Lately? Lately I paid my taxes and continue to do so, and a bit ago I voted Democratic. Before this I was also in the armed service.

joe1776

... So, how about you? What have you done for your country lately?
I can't ask this question of Kennedy, but since you're asking...please define "country."

Are you asking me what have I done for the real estate known as the USA, the group of people who live within the boundaries of that real estate or something else?

If it's the real estate, I try not to trash it. If it's the group of people, I cooperate with them for mutual benefit.

Frankly, I think it's a dumb question but I blame Kennedy not you. His statement had the ring of truth but I think its basically nonsense. What should the individual citizen want from their society is the very first question that should be asked. I want fairness and equality for all.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Lately?
I just gave about half of my quarterly bonus back through taxes (though it was against my will) to be wasted on something I probably don't agree with but that has been a constant every quarter and through several different administrations.
If you've taken steps to minimize the taxes paid,
then you've served your country.

ZenMonkey

St. James VII
Well, I am Swiss. And that is important stuff. I would go so far to postulate that cows are the very reason the West became so powerful.

However, We don’t have anything much more important than that round here. Is it bad?

Ciao

- viole

Interesting ... Cows and power go hand in hand? Ok, so you're swiss ... Is that Switzerland, Holland, or just general Nederlands? I've never been, but can't say I never wanted to. What's to do there? Aside from from I hear so much about here in the West?

ZenMonkey

St. James VII
I vote
I engage my congressmen
I Buy American when I can
I support military charities
I support regular American charities.
I serve Jury duty when called and do not try to get out of it
Plus a lot of little misc stuff like Flag on National holidays, support vet events, and promote candidates for office

When you engage your congressmen, what do you engage in? I mean, is it more community level or national? I can't say I've ever engaged like that myself. Aside from typical campaigning for this or that candidate I don't do politics, but ... I'm trying to expand a little ... as in more local as opposed to national.

ZenMonkey

St. James VII
I can't ask this question of Kennedy, but since you're asking...please define "country."

Are you asking me what have I done for the real estate known as the USA, the group of people who live within the boundaries of that real estate or something else?

If it's the real estate, I try not to trash it. If it's the group of people, I cooperate with them for mutual benefit.

Frankly, I think it's a dumb question but I blame Kennedy not you. His statement had the ring of truth but I think its basically nonsense. What should the individual citizen want from their society is the very first question that should be asked. I want fairness and equality for all.

If what we do impacts the country ... and it does ... no matter what we do, then I think Kennedy was spot on in asking. We the people as you stated ya know? That's what this government consists of. We the people ... As for the real estate aspect of, or boundaries, or land or rubble or whatever it is where ever you are, I would include that also. Without the real estate there are no people able to occupy. so ... Aside from your contentions with Kennedy's question, what else do you find stupid here in America.\, or rather as being nonsense?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
When you engage your congressmen, what do you engage in? I mean, is it more community level or national? I can't say I've ever engaged like that myself. Aside from typical campaigning for this or that candidate I don't do politics, but ... I'm trying to expand a little ... as in more local as opposed to national.

Today its so easy to write them letter's or e-mail them. They almost always respond and once you do they then send you times and dates they will be in your area so you can engage them face to face. Locally I generally just talk to the mayor who is always at city events. My town is rather small only about 25,000 citizens.

joe1776

If what we do impacts the country ... and it does ... no matter what we do, then I think Kennedy was spot on in asking. We the people as you stated ya know? That's what this government consists of. We the people ... As for the real estate aspect of, or boundaries, or land or rubble or whatever it is where ever you are, I would include that also. Without the real estate there are no people able to occupy. so ... Aside from your contentions with Kennedy's question, what else do you find stupid here in America.\, or rather as being nonsense?
Obviously I didn't make myself clear. I'll try again.

"Ask not what your country can do for you..." is nonsense because a country isn't something mystical. It's the cooperative endeavor of its citizens. Asking "What benefits do I hope to gain from cooperating with this policy?" is a sane, intelligent question, one that should be asked repeatedly. Policies that don't enrich the lives of all citizens equally are not going to work well.

Kennedy's statement had the ring of truth only if you don't give it much thought.

Last edited:

ZenMonkey

St. James VII
Obviously I didn't make myself clear. I'll try again.

"Ask not what your country can do for you..." is nonsense because a country isn't something mystical. It's a cooperative endeavor of its citizens. Asking "What benefits do I hope to gain from cooperating?" is a sane, intelligent question. Policies that don't enrich the lives of all citizens equally are not going to work well.

Kennedy's statement had the ring of truth only if you don't give it much thought.

I guess ... I found it inspiring and hopeful and motivating, but hey ... That's me. If it's nonsensical to you then well ... You're certainly free "enough" to express that.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Interesting ... Cows and power go hand in hand? Ok, so you're swiss ... Is that Switzerland, Holland, or just general Nederlands? I've never been, but can't say I never wanted to. What's to do there? Aside from from I hear so much about here in the West?

I beg your pardon? Switzerland. Vastly less flat than Holland.

I am also Swede. So people can confuse Sweden and Switzerland, as they often do, with impunity, in my case.

Ciao

- viole

ZenMonkey

St. James VII
I beg your pardon? Switzerland. Vastly less flat than Holland.

I am also Swede. So people can confuse Sweden and Switzerland, as they often do, with impunity, in my case.

Ciao

- viole

Biography was never my strong suit ...I mean geography .. Hey, what do you do where you're from? You didn't answer my question.

I'm getting pissed off at my country lately. I am technically eligible for citizenship by descent here but the hoops they make you jump through are numerous and tedious in nature.

This all started years ago after I had my MBA admission rescinded. I had applied as an international student and it had turned out that technically, since the country gives nationality by descent, and I had not formally renounced citizenship, I was not eligible to apply as an international student. I was basically told that I would have to formally declare nationality and re-apply next year as a local student.

During that time, I went through the process of formalizing my documents and got into the MBA program the following year. After the MBA program, I wanted to apply for our country's Officer Training School, but got told that since I wasn't born in the country I was considered a "non-resident national" (nationality and citizenship are considered different things here) and that I would have to establish residency, despite having already been in the country for four years. Getting residency is considered the prerogative of the Department of Immigration, while citizenship and naturalization of "non-resident nationals" is under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Anyways, with a lot of back and forth I was eventually able to submit the paperwork to start counting my residency towards full citizenship, but I still can't vote and don't have full working rights.