• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Happens When You Die?

Dogma is always 'very simple': believe or else. I'm just telling you what the story says. Are you not aware of how the priests manipulated their congregations via fear in order to extract monies from them, or are you that naive? There was no 'Garden Event'. That was all twisted from the original story.

Which priest?

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Oh crap GNG,
Now he's going to start all over with the same 'original story'.
It's twisted enough, now watch this !
Damn !
~
'mud

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Story time...

Personally I believe whatever the original intent of the story of Adam and Eve is long lost.

For me the "event" was one of betrayal. It was when God betrayed man. Adam knew God. God was a presence in the garden. For Adam, there was no question about God's existence.

The serpent was beautiful, mufti-colored. It was the most beautiful thing Adam had ever seen. The serpent was an instrument of God. Because of it's beauty Adam did not fear it, Adam was mesmerized by the rhythm of the colors. Adam should have ran.

Instead Adam just stood there as the serpent approached. Even as the serpent bared it's fangs and readied to strike. Adam trusted God, the garden, everything that was part of the garden, even the Rainbow Serpent that was now before him.

Before Adam even knew what was happening, the serpent struck, injecting its venom into Adam's skull. As the venom drained into him, Adam felt the knowledge of God and the Garden slip away. For the first time in Adam's existence, he felt betrayal and fear. How could God, whom he had trusted allow this. However, even knowledge of this betrayal was taken, replaced by fear and ignorance.

The serpent was not God's adversary, it was man's. Created by God to infect man with ignorance of his true nature. You see, all of the pain, the suffering, the ignorance, it was all by design. It is not man who needs to be forgiven. Man is only who he was created to be. The truth is that it will be up to man to choose whether or not to forgive God.

“Cursed is the ground for your sake;
In toil you shall eat of it
All the days of your life.
Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you,
And you shall eat the herb of the field.
In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread
Till you return to the ground,
For out of it you were taken;
For dust you are,
And to dust you shall return.”

Fortunately this is only a story, or perhaps a lost, confused, misguided memory.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Which priest?

First of all, do you take the story of Adam and Eve literally, or do you understand its allegorical nature?

“Evolution makes it pretty clear that in nature, and in the moral experience of human beings, there never was any such paradise to be lost. So Christians, I think, have a challenge, have a job on their hands to reformulate some of their tradition about human beginnings.”

John Schneider, theologian, Calvin College

False Start? The Controversy Over Adam and Eve Heats Up – AlbertMohler.com

Last edited:

godnotgod

Thou art That
The serpent was not God's adversary, it was man's. Created by God to infect man with ignorance of his true nature. You see, all of the pain, the suffering, the ignorance, it was all by design.

But what purpose does this design serve? You seem to be saying that God deliberately caused man's misery after having given man Paradise. This version smacks of having been concocted after the fact. It seems to me that the important question here is: how and why did man lose touch with his true nature, and I am confident that can be answered via our own self-examination. The Buddhists and Taoists have told us all along that Desire is at the root of our suffering.

Truly, “Only he that rids himself forever of desire can see the Secret Essences”;
He that has never rid himself of desire can see only the Outcomes.
These two things issued from the same mould, but nevertheless are different in name.
This “same mould” we can but call the Mystery,
Or rather the “Darker than any Mystery,”
The Doorway whence issued all Secret Essences.

Tao te Ching, Ch 1

Last edited:
First of all, do you take the story of Adam and Eve literally, or do you understand its allegorical nature?

“Evolution makes it pretty clear that in nature, and in the moral experience of human beings, there never was any such paradise to be lost. So Christians, I think, have a challenge, have a job on their hands to reformulate some of their tradition about human beginnings.”

John Schneider, theologian, Calvin College

False Start? The Controversy Over Adam and Eve Heats Up – AlbertMohler.com

Adam and Eve were the first humans.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Adam and Eve were the first humans.

That's what you've been indoctrinated to believe, but we're finding out that cannot have been the case.

from the link I provided:

“For many Evangelicals, a historical Adam and Eve is a critical part of their theology, but now some conservative religious scholars are saying, publicly, that they can no longer believe it.”
Hagerty asked Dennis Venema, a professor of biology at Trinity Western University, if all humans descended from Adam and Eve. “That would be against all the genomics evidence that we’ve assembled over the last 20 years, so not likely at all,” Venema said. He explained that there is simply too much genetic diversity among human beings than would be possible with an original reproducing pair. Venema affirmed the standard evolutionary line of argument and explained that, in Hagerty’s words, “modern humans emerged from other primates as a large population – long before the Genesis time frame of a few thousand years ago.”

Therefore, the story of Adam and Eve can only be an allegory.

That's what you've been indoctrinated to believe, but we're finding out that cannot have been the case.

from the link I provided:

“For many Evangelicals, a historical Adam and Eve is a critical part of their theology, but now some conservative religious scholars are saying, publicly, that they can no longer believe it.”
Hagerty asked Dennis Venema, a professor of biology at Trinity Western University, if all humans descended from Adam and Eve. “That would be against all the genomics evidence that we’ve assembled over the last 20 years, so not likely at all,” Venema said. He explained that there is simply too much genetic diversity among human beings than would be possible with an original reproducing pair. Venema affirmed the standard evolutionary line of argument and explained that, in Hagerty’s words, “modern humans emerged from other primates as a large population – long before the Genesis time frame of a few thousand years ago.”

Therefore, the story of Adam and Eve can only be an allegory.

Dude,your name is godnotgod and you think I'm going to take your word for it? Lol..:confused:

Faybull

Absolutely not! I quoted you John Scneider, a theology instructor, and a biologist. Did you even look at the link provided?

So what does my avatar have to do with this?

I agree with this. From the root words used in the "creation" account, is becomes evident that "Adam" was a man "chosen". Not created.
The word is not meaning "created". Just as "let us appoint a man in our likeness", from 1v26....God chose Adam.

Faybull

At any rate, how does one know they are "dead"? If the brain and its activity ceases from being, how could you possibly know anything?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Dogma is always 'very simple': believe or else. I'm just telling you what the story says. Are you not aware of how the priests manipulated their congregations via fear in order to extract monies from them, or are you that naive? There was no 'Garden Event'. That was all twisted from the original story.

And you are in denial of the simple things.
My take on Genesis is straight forward.

godnotgod

Thou art That
And you are in denial of the simple things.
My take on Genesis is straight forward.

Well it' not a simple, but a rather convoluted story. The version I advanced is far more simple, cohesive, and logical in terms of the goal of all who aspire to the light: divine union.

Your 'take' is simplistic, rather than simple, in that it takes religious Authority at face value, an authority we already have shown to be faulty, ie; Galileo.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Which priest?

11 Bible Verses about Corrupt Priests

Malachi 2:3
Verse Concepts
"Behold, I am going to rebuke your offspring, and I will spread refuse on your faces, the refuse of your feasts; and you will be taken away with it.

Jeremiah 5:31
Verse Concepts
The prophets prophesy falsely, And the priests rule on their own authority; And My people love it so! But what will you do at the end of it?

Ezekiel 22:26
Verse Concepts
"Her priests have done violence to My law and have profaned My holy things; they have made no distinction between the holy and the profane, and they have not taught the difference between the unclean and the clean; and they hide their eyes from My sabbaths, and I am profaned among them.

Hosea 5:1
Verse Concepts
Hear this, O priests! Give heed, O house of Israel! Listen, O house of the king! For the judgment applies to you, For you have been a snare at Mizpah And a net spread out on Tabor.

Hosea 6:9
Verse Concepts
And as raiders wait for a man, So a band of priests murder on the way to Shechem; Surely they have committed crime.

Micah 3:11
Verse Concepts
Her leaders pronounce judgment for a bribe, Her priests instruct for a price And her prophets divine for money Yet they lean on the LORD saying, "Is not the LORD in our midst? Calamity will not come upon us."

Zephaniah 3:4
Verse Concepts
Her prophets are reckless, treacherous men; Her priests have profaned the sanctuary. They have done violence to the law.

Matthew 27:20
Verse Concepts
But the chief priests and the elders persuaded the crowds to ask for Barabbas and to put Jesus to death.

Matthew 27:41
Verse Concepts
In the same way the chief priests also, along with the scribes and elders, were mocking Him and saying,

Mark 15:11
Verse Concepts
But the chief priests stirred up the crowd to ask him to release Barabbas for them instead.

John 19:6
Verse Concepts
So when the chief priests and the officers saw Him, they cried out saying, "Crucify, crucify!" Pilate said to them, "Take Him yourselves and crucify Him, for I find no guilt in Him."

- See more at: 11 Bible verses about Corrupt Priests

The Religion Game, as played in the past, had a fairly well-defined set of rules. It was essentially a game played by paid priests of one sort or another for their personal benefit. To compel their fellowmen to play the game, the priests invented various gods, with whom they alone could communicate, whose wrath they alone could assuage, whose cooperation they alone could enlist. He who wanted help from the gods or who wished to avert their wrath had to pay the priests to obtain his ends. The game was further enlivened, and the hold of the priests on the minds of their victims further strengthened, by the invention of two after-death states, a blissful heaven and a terrible hell. To stay out of the hell and get into the heaven, the player of the Religion Game had to pay lie priests, or his relatives had to pay them after his death. This "pay the priest" aspect of the Religion Game has caused several cynics to define it as the
world's oldest confidence trick designed to enable certain unscrupulous individuals to make a profit out of the credulity and suggestibility of their fellowmen by interceding on their behalf with some nebulous god or ensuring their entry into an equally nebulous heaven. It was this aspect of the Religion Game that caused Sigmund Freud to exclaim, more in sorrow than anger: "The whole thing is so patently infantile, so incongruous with reality, that for one whose attitude to humanity is friendly it is painful to think that the great majority of mortals will never be able to rise above this view of life."

A particularly hideous aspect of the Religion Game resulted from the insistence by certain priests that their brand of god was the only god, that their form of the game was the only permissible form. So eager were these priests to keep the game entirely in their own hands that they did not hesitate to persecute, torture or kill any who happened to wish to play the game by other rules. This practice was started by the Jews, whose enthusiasm for their one and only and very jealous father-god justified those slaughterings the accounts of which constitute so much of the bulk of the Old Testament. The practice was eagerly adopted by so-called Christians, who, not satisfied with slaughtering Moslems and Jews, turned like rabid dogs on one another in a series of ghastly religious wars, Protestant versus Catholic. The Moslems, who borrowed the rules of their Religion Game from Jews and Christians alike, did not fail to copy the bad habits of both. Believers were exhorted in the Koran to wage war on the infidel, the slaughter of unbelievers being defined as one sure way of gaining entry into the Moslem heaven (a much lusher paradise than the rather insipid affair offered by their priests to conforming Christians).

excerpted from: The Master Game, by Robert S. DeRopp

Last edited:

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Ah, from dust to the imagination of those that believe in fantasies.
Angels on pins, thrones in the clouds, and trumpets on high.
And I want a new Triumph for christmas, hell, a new black ink cartridge will do !
It's so unbelievable!
Grown up people and their false dreams of eternity.
~
'mud

Ah, from dust to the imagination of those that believe in fantasies.
Angels on pins, thrones in the clouds, and trumpets on high.
And I want a new Triumph for christmas, hell, a new black ink cartridge will do !
It's so unbelievable!
Grown up people and their false dreams of eternity.
~
'mud

Does this dust come from you old man.Lol...J/K