• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Happens When You Die?

atanu

Premium Member
I believe that leads to confusion because the mind is also conscious and that consciousness ends when the body dies. It is the super-conscious of the spirit that continues on.

In Vedanta paralance, Consciousness is pure, untainted, and not conditioned by superposition of any form and name.

The consciousness that we have is an effect, like reflection of one Moon in many puddles or like reflection of a face in many mirrors. This consciousness is called 'Conditioned consciousness'.

I suppose, we are saying the same thing.

askersha

I have issues with "dvaita" and "advaita". They cant be logically connected. In short, in Advaita, Brahma is God and we are all parts of Him as he created us out of himself. (Brahma created us. If we are pious, it's Brahma's credit; if we are evil, it's Brahmas discredit.) The concepts of punishment, free will and "greatness" go to wastepaper basket. Conclusion: Brahma is an unborn, non-perishable being. A unique fluid.. blob! Something like a flubber.

All space+objects+stimuli=Brahma
is the ultimate formula!

Dvaita is more like "Allah" of Islam but has problems. God is separate from creation (us). He has most probably NOT created us but we are supposed to rely on him because, by nature, He has plenty and we have scarcity. But That means two separate materials: (1) God himself and (2) Creation. Where did this creation material come from? Was it already there by nature just as God was already there by nature? Is an exchange of powers/possessions possible between God and Creation? How? If Two materials (blobs) are possible, why not three, four or more??? I mean in this infinite universe, there can be innumerable Gods, Creations etc. But if such is the case, This God is Powerful+we are dependent+there is no guarantee that God would be Kind, Loving, Just, Omnipotent, Omnixxxx etc... They may be only our suppositions. Based on which, pagan religions like Islam might have started!

And even if God is a creator of sinners, He is not a perfect creator... Crystal clear, aint it?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I believe that leads to confusion because the mind is also conscious and that consciousness ends when the body dies. It is the super-conscious of the spirit that continues on.

Born to be aware?.....only to die...

We won't lose what we have become.

Not much point in a device to generate individual spirits....only to lose that quality.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Born to be aware?.....only to die...

We won't lose what we have become.

Not much point in a device to generate individual spirits....only to lose that quality.

What you have 'become' is a paradigm, and can exist only within the context of your present life. It has no significance in a Paradise where there is no history.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
What you have 'become' is a paradigm, and can exist only within the context of your present life. It has no significance in a Paradise where there is no history.

Not buying that.

I will retain myself.
Anyone having gone before me still is.
Anyone afterward will also continue.
(given the ability to do so.....many won't)

I see no cause to say, I will cease to be me.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Not buying that.

I will retain myself.
Anyone having gone before me still is.
Anyone afterward will also continue.
(given the ability to do so.....many won't)

I see no cause to say, I will cease to be me.

You have no cause to go on as you are. Such an identity can only be seen as a 'has been'. You'll stick out like a sore thumb in the new Heaven, and all the young girls will giggle at the newly arrived fossil. The best thing God can do for you in that case is to cause your rebirth back on Earth.

Of course you don't buy it; your ego will do everything possible to perpetuate its existence so it can receive praise, gratification, and adulation forever and ever, ad nauseum.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
THE Being implies an entity; Being is just essence itself, without a 'Be-er'. Is there an entity that is conscious, or is there simply Pure Consciousness itself?

As I go about life there seems no being I am conscious of. It's like a wave among many other waves all interacting and causing images on the surface of an ocean.

However I occasionally purposefully recall the images that were created and identify myself individually as a wave that took part in the creation of that image.

I'm not really conscious of the wave, I am conscious of the image. And, only at the times I choose to be conscious of it.

This is not a good thing, it is all very passive. I should be able to consciously create the image. Not just be a wave reacting to external forces.

So when I say "I", what do I mean. I mean whoever is in charge. Who makes decisions/chooses actions. Who can actively create the image. Not passively be a part of it.

When a puppet-master moves the puppet. The puppet is passive. The puppet is the image every one sees. If the puppet-master thought themselves the puppet they would seem to be passive. Unaware of who was pulling the strings.

So the puppets pray to the puppet-master to pull their strings in a beneficial way.

Kind of funny. Some get mad because the puppet-master doesn't pull their string in a beneficial way. If the puppet-master cared the puppet master would not pull their stings in a harmful way. So the puppet-master must be evil or perhaps not even exist.

However it gets a bit hard to explain the puppet without the puppet-master.

atanu

Premium Member
THE Being implies an entity; Being is just essence itself, without a 'Be-er'. Is there an entity that is conscious, or is there simply Pure Consciousness itself?

Brahman is existence-consciousness-bliss. Trying to separate those three is futile exercise that mind does.

godnotgod

Thou art That
As I go about life there seems no being I am conscious of. It's like a wave among many other waves all interacting and causing images on the surface of an ocean.

However I occasionally purposefully recall the images that were created and identify myself individually as a wave that took part in the creation of that image.

I'm not really conscious of the wave, I am conscious of the image. And, only at the times I choose to be conscious of it.

This is not a good thing, it is all very passive. I should be able to consciously create the image. Not just be a wave reacting to external forces.

So when I say "I", what do I mean. I mean whoever is in charge. Who makes decisions/chooses actions. Who can actively create the image. Not passively be a part of it.

When a puppet-master moves the puppet. The puppet is passive. The puppet is the image every one sees. If the puppet-master thought themselves the puppet they would seem to be passive. Unaware of who was pulling the strings.

So the puppets pray to the puppet-master to pull their strings in a beneficial way.

Kind of funny. Some get mad because the puppet-master doesn't pull their string in a beneficial way. If the puppet-master cared the puppet master would not pull their stings in a harmful way. So the puppet-master must be evil or perhaps not even exist.

However it gets a bit hard to explain the puppet without the puppet-master.

Neither of which exist in Reality. Both puppet and puppet-master come into existence after the default Reality, and both merge back into the default Reality.

pic8.GIF

Check out the Ten Oxherding Pictures, here:

Ox-Herding

esp. #8 as it pertains to what you are saying.

I like the metaphor you are using for the self-created mind.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Neither of which exist in Reality. Both puppet and puppet-master come into existence after the default Reality, and both merge back into the default Reality.

pic8.GIF

Ox-Herding

This will result in the Creator as Someone alone....

Not much point is forming so many individuals only to end up alone.

godnotgod

Thou art That
This will result in the Creator as Someone alone....

Not much point is forming so many individuals only to end up alone.

It's hard to be alone when you're Everything. All those 'other' faces out there? They are none other than your own.

But if you're walking down the street
Why don't you look down to the basement
And sitting very quietly there is a man who has no head
His eye is single and his whole body also is filled with light
And the streets are his and all the people
And even the temples and the whole world
And many's the time he walks to the river
And seeing the ferryman and seeing the tollman
The light within him leaps to greet them
For he sees that their faces are none but his own
One light, light that is one thought the lamps be many
You never enjoy the world aright
Till the sea itself floweth
In your veins and you are clothed
With the heavens and crowned with the stars.

Incredible String Band

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Everyone is part of Everything.

Is God looking, or are you looking?

Go back and re-read my prevous post as I have added content to it.

Considering this post.....I don't see the need.

I'm not part of everything.
Neither are you.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

pic8.GIF

Ox-Herding

I suspect I need some time to contemplate these images.

I think it is true that there is no higher possible goal than being-consciousness-bliss. However that is not all that is going on.