• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Happens When You Die?

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
atheism of the gaps

Not really, because even if the big bang was the first event we have no idea what caused it, or even if there was a "cause" given that laws of cause and effect would not have existed prior to it.
The sensible view would be an agnostic one because we simply don't know, and we may never know. Saying "God did it" is wishful thinking, not a logical position.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Not really, because even if the big bang was the first event we have no idea what caused it, or even if there was a "cause" given that laws of cause and effect would not have existed prior to it.
The sensible view would be an agnostic one because we simply don't know, and we may never know. Saying "God did it" is wishful thinking, not a logical position.

we were talking about whether the universe was created in specific creation event

All the empirical observational evidence we have points to the big bang (the term originally used to mock the idea), a specific literal creation of all space/time matter/energy as we can possibly ever know it- including all information needed to create galaxies, stars, planets, life, and ultimately self awareness.. how much more creationy can you get?!

If the word 'creation' is not considered appropriate for this event, I think that would suggest that it's the implications rather than the word itself that are disliked?

Rick O'Shez

If the word 'creation' is not considered appropriate for this event, I think that would suggest that it's the implications rather than the word itself that are disliked?

"Creation" implies a creator, that's the problem with the word. "Beginning" would be simpler, or at least a word that everyone could agree on....except those who theorise it wasn't the beginning...so maybe "event"... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
"Creation" implies a creator, that's the problem with the word. "Beginning" would be simpler.

OK, well you say tomato.... it was a very creative beginning process, we don't talk about the 'beginning' of the earth or a mountain range, any more than the 'beginning' of a car or building... but I take your point.

Labels aside, we have to account for the specific composition of that 'beginning' somehow.

If you see 'help' spelled in rocks on a deserted beach, do you presume the waves washed them up that way?

Rick O'Shez

If you see 'help' spelled in rocks on a deserted beach, do you presume the waves washed them up that way?

I don't get the analogy, but yes, it's possible for waves to wash rocks up in recognisable patterns. I live by the sea and look at this kind of thing on a regular basis. ;)

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
People in power don't like their view of reality threatened. I don't think this is entirely a religious thing.

agree there, the church was the scientific authority- as well as the political and religious, with the best libraries, publishing, educated people and even the best observatories.. all just making new ideas more difficult to accept.. maybe we should have separation of science and state also?

I don't get the analogy, but yes, it's possible for waves to wash rocks up in recognisable patterns. I live by the sea and look at this kind of thing on a regular basis. ;)

I hope you don't work for the coast guard! :)

I'm looking at the beach right now, I should probably take a walk before it gets covered with snow,.. then I'm outta here for a while
take care all, have a great you-know-what !

NulliuSINverba

What Happens When You Die?

“The present life of man upon earth, O king, seems to me, in comparison with that time which is unknown to us, like to the swift flight of a sparrow through the house wherein you sit at supper in winter, with your ealdormen and thegns, while the fire blazes in the midst, and the hall is warmed, but the wintry storms of rain or snow are raging abroad. The sparrow, flying in at one door and immediately out at another, whilst he is within, is safe from the wintry tempest; but after a short space of fair weather, he immediately vanishes out of your sight, passing from winter into winter again. So this life of man appears for a little while, but of what is to follow or what went before we know nothing at all."

~ from Bede's Ecclesiastical History of England (A Revised Translation With Introduction, Life, and Notes) By A. M. Sellar (George Bell & Sons, London, 1907)

Q. - Do you fret much over what happens before we're born?

godnotgod

Thou art That
Thief and Godnotgod......the Zen and Zang of our reality.
excuse the misspellings and etc.
The extreme opposites of phrase and meaning.
And inward toward middle is the center of it all,
some are just bound to fail, but what direction is 'up' ?
Where the hell was that middle, I'm still looking.
~
'mud

That which is looking is always exactly between, pretending it is 'here' or 'there'.

godnotgod

Thou art That
we were talking about whether the universe was created in specific creation event

All the empirical observational evidence we have points to the big bang (the term originally used to mock the idea), a specific literal creation of all space/time matter/energy as we can possibly ever know it- including all information needed to create galaxies, stars, planets, life, and ultimately self awareness.. how much more creationy can you get?!

I am neither theist nor atheist, but I do take issue with a 'creation', which leaves us with the age old problem of the origin of original material. The theists would have it that God created the world out of nothing at all. But the philosophers tell us only nothing can come from nothing, ie 'ex nihilo fit'. Now, cutting edge science (Lawrence Krauss) explains a 'universe from nothing'. But all of this assumes the world to be something real; something having material substance. But what if the 'material' stuff of the world is actually an illusion on a higher plane than your ordinary garden variety kind of illusion? In that case, it would solve two major problems: the origin of the original material from which the universe came, because there is none, and that there is nothing actually being 'created'. It is only a projection, a manifestation. So what is the nature of the 'material' universe then?: consciousness. Pure Consciousness.

The Big Bang was an event in consciousness, and consciousness is non-material, outside of time and space. IOW, it itself is No-thing-ness. Everything came out of Nothing.

The world, as we experience it, is a series of events in consciousness.

Last edited:

Rick O'Shez

And you believe the substance (or energy) would be 'self' starting?

Cosmologists are currently trying to work out what, if anything, there was prior to the big bang. The latest thinking seems to be that there was something "before".
Note that the whole principle of cause and effect was probably meaningless prior to the big bang anyway.
So we have currently have no idea. God is a possible explanation but a very crude one - there are all sorts of more interesting possibilities!

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Cosmologists are currently trying to work out what, if anything, there was prior to the big bang. The latest thinking seems to be that there was something "before".
Note that the whole principle of cause and effect was probably meaningless prior to the big bang anyway.
So we have currently have no idea. God is a possible explanation but a very crude one - there are all sorts of more interesting possibilities!

I'm going to hold to science....nothing moves without 'something' to move it.
Energy and mass need a Motivation.

Spirit first.