• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Happens When You Die?

godnotgod

Thou art That
Ignorance of what factor ?

Beliefs are factors of life, the coming and going, we come as chemicals and go to same.

Ignorance is just a state of mental conditioning, and not about anything in particular.

Beliefs and opinions are not factors of life perse; they are acquired during our social indoctrination.

During the Buddha's time, controversy raged, as it does today, over what happens after death. On the one hand, there were the eternalists, who held that one's core being, called the atman, went on after physical death. On the other hand were the materialists, who held that everything ended at physical death.

The Buddha SAW that both views were extreme views, and prompted him to develop what is now called The Middle Path, which is a non-dual view of Reality. When Chopra says: 'we return to where we always are', he means we awaken to Reality, not to our opinions and beliefs. This is the awakening the Buddha also experienced.

Notions about the afterlife or no afterlife are opinions and beliefs.

Last edited:

godnotgod

Thou art That
Particular muscle reactions for example occur independently of the brain. But our own self awareness and sense of being is a direct product of the brain. If you are asserting an afterlife you are claiming that human consciousness and perception occur independently of the brain which is entirely not true.

I can use my focused conscious attention in meditation to quiet brain wave activity, or chant, both in order to achieve a better sense of being and well being. It has also been shown that long term meditators have actually grown a thicker cerebral cortex. So it appears that, contrary to what you claim, it is consciousness that dictates brain activity. If what you claim is true, tell me how the material brain can create non-material consciousness.

You are stating the position that consciousness is a local phenomena. But it has also been shown, via controlled scientific experiment, that the brain is capable of non-local transmission. See here:

and here:

http://www.deanradin.com/evidence/Grinberg1994.pdf

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I can use my focused conscious attention in meditation to quiet brain wave activity, or chant, both in order to achieve a better sense of being and well being. It has also been shown that long term meditators have actually grown a thicker cerebral cortex. So it appears that, contrary to what you claim, it is consciousness that dictates brain activity. If what you claim is true, tell me how the material brain can create non-material consciousness.

You are stating the position that consciousness is a local phenomena. But it has also been shown, via controlled scientific experiment, that the brain is capable of non-local transmission. See here:

and here:

http://www.deanradin.com/evidence/Grinberg1994.pdf

No you have done nothing. Your consciousness is supplied by the brain. Exercising it like you said just like a muscle. By the way I am an avid meditater and what you said was entirely against neuroscience. Your consciousness is not exercising your brain, your brain is exercising itself.

godnotgod

Thou art That
No you have done nothing. Your consciousness is supplied by the brain. Exercising it like you said just like a muscle. By the way I am an avid meditater and what you said was entirely against neuroscience. Your consciousness is not exercising your brain, your brain is exercising itself.

So you're saying that the brain is making the decision to mediate? I guess it knows when it needs self improvement, eh? Mine keeps wanting to go to the beauty parlor to have my nails and hair done. Lately, it has been conspiring to do some awful things. I don't think I can trust it, do you? Uh..oh...here it comes. Best quiet down and hide in its blind spot. So if everything is dictated by HAL 9000, that includes errors in logic, correct? Of course, those errors are detected by the brain and corrected, right? And sometimes it feels a bit paranoid, too. I think its nuts, to tell you the truth. And besides, here is 'I', which is supposed to be created by the brain, talking apart from the brain. What's up with that?

You may be an avid meditator, but you don't seem to know much about Higher Consciousness.

PS: Lately I've been getting messages, something like:

'I am the Lord Brain thy God No man goes to Neuro Heaven but by me...nyah...ha...ha...'

...and when I'm asleep, I suspect it's sneaking out at night, it's ID doing horrendous things and then keeping them from me.

The list goes on and on. Lord Brain my ***!
:p

Look! A runaway train...er....BRAIN! Call 911! It's running off at the mouth!

Thief

Rogue Theologian
After you die....it's one or the other.
You go on .....or you dust lays in a grave.

I think you can choose.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
After you die....it's one or the other.
You go on .....or you dust lays in a grave.

I think you can choose.

since our capacity to learn and make choices is so uniquely human, I think it makes sense that we would determine our own afterlife one way or another..

but do you think there is only one place to go on to? or a choice there also?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
since our capacity to learn and make choices is so uniquely human, I think it makes sense that we would determine our own afterlife one way or another..

but do you think there is only one place to go on to? or a choice there also?

You choose with every action dealt.
What you say and do, leads to where you end up.

You will likely spend your afterlife with others that perform and speak as you do.
How else to be happy?...how else to be fair?

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

You will likely spend your afterlife with others that perform and speak as you do.

what about those too young to have made any choices?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Suffer the children come to Me....
Of such as these is made the kingdom of heaven.

a famous quote

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

I don't think it works. If I spend my afterlife with people who think and speak like me, then i should spend my afterlife with naturalists.

I find it challenging to imagine naturalists in the afterlife.

Ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Suffer the children come to Me....
Of such as these is made the kingdom of heaven.

a famous quote

Matthew
25 At that time Jesus said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children.

Another famous quote.

Ciao

- viole

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
and never will. As long as their are people their will be opinions on the same words, the same verses, the same language, the same book, the same authors ad nauseum.
It's pretty simple to me what happens when we die.
If someone dosen't take care of the body it starts to break down and stink really bad.
I once did a wefare check on a man at the request of the man's sisters.
I could smell him from a block away. I broke down the locked door of the old apartment building and found him next to the steam registers, standing, all blue and bloated, and stinking, leaking fluids from where his swollen body burst the skin.
A person never forgets such social unpleasantries.
That's was my world and considerable experience with death.
Then there are the Biblical answers which mostly say "the dead are conscious of nothing".
I have family members that are Jehovah's Witnesses. They are warm, loving, caring, take a lot of abuse from other "christians" and really know the Bible well.
The hold that the dead are simply.................................ah, well, dead.
That there will be a resurrection one day. The dead simply return to the earth.
Many denominations feel that way and use verse to back up the claims.
That's my take on the matter.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

There is brain and there is consciousness. Does consciousness require the brain? Can't prove otherwise. Proof requires some physical evidence but consciousness is not physical. We can't dissect a brain and find it. If you can't find it, it doesn't exist as far as a materialist is concerned.

I recall moments of consciousness after death. Moments of death, moments after death. Memories as non-reliable as any other memories.

When I look for the physical I can't find it either. Waves, force, particles which disappear if you dissect them. Everything we accept to exist we rely on our perceptions. The mind exists to us because we perceive thought.

The brain is the master of our universe I suppose because there is something you can perceive.

I don't know what happens when we die. I find our perceptions to be questionable and unreliable. However you have your certainty to rely on.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
There is brain and there is consciousness. Does consciousness require the brain? Can't prove otherwise. Proof requires some physical evidence but consciousness is not physical. We can't dissect a brain and find it. If you can't find it, it doesn't exist as far as a materialist is concerned.

I recall moments of consciousness after death. Moments of death, moments after death. Memories as non-reliable as any other memories.

When I look for the physical I can't find it either. Waves, force, particles which disappear if you dissect them. Everything we accept to exist we rely on our perceptions. The mind exists to us because we perceive thought.

The brain is the master of our universe I suppose because there is something you can perceive.

I don't know what happens when we die. I find our perceptions to be questionable and unreliable. However you have your certainty to rely on.

We actually have the physical proof you are just in denial. As I stated earlier, the occurrence of thoughts decisions and yes, even consciousness has been tested. Why on earth do you think neuroscience is for? Why do you think the prevailing theory is that consciousness is a product of the brain?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
So you're saying that the brain is making the decision to mediate? I guess it knows when it needs self improvement, eh? Mine keeps wanting to go to the beauty parlor to have my nails and hair done. Lately, it has been conspiring to do some awful things. I don't think I can trust it, do you? Uh..oh...here it comes. Best quiet down and hide in its blind spot. So if everything is dictated by HAL 9000, that includes errors in logic, correct? Of course, those errors are detected by the brain and corrected, right? And sometimes it feels a bit paranoid, too. I think its nuts, to tell you the truth. And besides, here is 'I', which is supposed to be created by the brain, talking apart from the brain. What's up with that?

You may be an avid meditator, but you don't seem to know much about Higher Consciousness.

PS: Lately I've been getting messages, something like:

'I am the Lord Brain thy God No man goes to Neuro Heaven but by me...nyah...ha...ha...'

...and when I'm asleep, I suspect it's sneaking out at night, it's ID doing horrendous things and then keeping them from me.

The list goes on and on. Lord Brain my ***!
:p

Look! A runaway train...er....BRAIN! Call 911! It's running off at the mouth!

This Higher Consciousness garbage is for morons, I am not a moron and no such thing as a higher consciousness exists. It is was spiritualists have created and some what copied from Hinduism and I am no Hindu either. Meditation does not require supernatural fluff and stupidity.
Why make something make-believe into a universally binding fact?
Normal people do not do this. This is why I don't make my dreams as factual items of existence or else pink dinosaurs would be added in every museum.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Social interaction of any factors is the result of the product vs factorals.
Somehow this doesn't make sense....or didn't I get it right !
And some silliness at the preaching Buddha's navel peering prophesies.
Life ends with death, everyone goes forward in some form.
The missing ingredient, cognizance, will be gone.
And everone will evolve into eternity and beyond into infinity.
That's why dead people are only signals in our minds, memories.
Is there a God, I think not, but there's always Pascal to bat around.
If I could have the cognizence to hold, I'd get rid of the rest of it.
I guess the thought of 'ghosts' everywhere, angels everywhere, see, there on my shoulder !
To have 'ghosts' you'd have peices of everone mixed up with everyone else, like \''/ghosts\''/
All those chemicals all around, breathing in and out, mixing and mixing, \''/ghosts\''/
They are everywhere....\''/....\''/....\''/
Those chemicals all around are our ghosts come front, through and on into tomorrow.
That's just life out there, it's chemicals all around, and you are a part of them, life !
OK...that's my rant for the day.
nuff stuff,
~
'mud

Last edited by a moderator: