• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What happens to Christians aged over twenty-two?

pearl

One detail I noticed was that even Christians who were intelligent enough to become undergraduates still resorted to the "Wait until you are older/until you are my age before trying to understand that" line of argument.

Theology is a lifetime quest, never finished, a lifetime of question with never a final answer to the Mystery. Maybe what is meant by 'Wait.....'.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
True, the truth shows flaws in each of us and in the beliefs and practices in our religions, including Christianity.
If I found no flaws in my Religion, I would be greatly worried

sealchan

I was a Christian when I started studying for my theology degree at the age of nineteen. By the time I graduated, at the age of twenty-two, I had lost my faith and become an agnostic. I became an atheist around the age of twenty-three.

One detail I noticed was that even Christians who were intelligent enough to become undergraduates still resorted to the "Wait until you are older/until you are my age before trying to understand that" line of argument.

Let us suppose that I had remained a Christian all these years. I am now fifty. At what stage, if any, would I have stopped hearing other Christians tell me to wait until I am older whenever I disagreed with them about what something in the Bible means, what Christian ethics may or may not involve or anything else related to Christianity?

Or should I wait until I am older before asking this question?

The time for the question is the time the question comes. Adults or elders don't always know why they believe something and so when their efforts fail to work they fall back on an often sincere appeal to their own journey and the apparent softening of hard rational answers that the young tend to demand but the older tend to de-emphasize in the face of life experience which tends to break all those hard rational understandings.

Objectively, all sincerely held beliefs are true and proven within the experience and knowledge of the experiencer/believer. It is merely the scope of experience/knowledge of the knower that confines that belief. You may have overlapping knowledge and experience but you also have a uniqueness which must be answered.

In the end your sense of personal meaning is more important than collective creed...BUT what is found, I think, by those who hold fast to their sense of personal meaning is that those truths expressed in any religion ARE true, but the pathways to the personal experience of their truth is so dependent on the individual that it makes such truths hard to transmit as direct instruction.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I was a Christian when I started studying for my theology degree at the age of nineteen. By the time I graduated, at the age of twenty-two, I had lost my faith and become an agnostic. I became an atheist around the age of twenty-three.

Let us suppose that I had remained a Christian all these years. I am now fifty. At what stage, if any, would I have stopped hearing other Christians tell me to wait until I am older whenever I disagreed with them about what something in the Bible means, what Christian ethics may or may not involve or anything else related to Christianity?

Or should I wait until I am older before asking this question?
There are so many ways of looking at religion and God and the Bible. Before I became a Christian I was confused to the point that I had no faith and not much knowledge but couldn't 'find' God. I won't go into detail but to tell you that one day I prayed after many years of not praying and my prayer was answered, even though I did not recognize what happened at the time as the answer.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
The time for the question is the time the question comes. Adults or elders don't always know why they believe something and so when their efforts fail to work they fall back on an often sincere appeal to their own journey and the apparent softening of hard rational answers that the young tend to demand but the older tend to de-emphasize in the face of life experience which tends to break all those hard rational understandings.

Objectively, all sincerely held beliefs are true and proven within the experience and knowledge of the experiencer/believer. It is merely the scope of experience/knowledge of the knower that confines that belief. You may have overlapping knowledge and experience but you also have a uniqueness which must be answered.
e
In the end your sense of personal meaning is more important than collective creed...BUT what is found, I think, by those who hold fast to their sense of personal meaning is that those truths expressed in any religion ARE true, but the pathways to the personal experience of their truth is so dependent on the individual that it makes such truths hard to transmit as direct instruction.
When I was looking for God (I needed Him but couldn't find Him) I asked a preacher to help me. He told me that faith is a gift. I did not understand that, but I prayed after that for God to give me this gift. I know we can't see God and because so many bad things happen, I wanted to understand what's going on and what God was going to do about it. Anyway, yes, God gave me this gift of faith even though I didn't see that for a while. By the way, I did not join the preacher's religion but I now have faith.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
If your master thinks he has no flaws, why is he not worried about that?
I can't speak for Him, but I doubt "He thinks this".. He Knows

And it probably has to do with being a Poorna Avatar

Brian2

Veteran Member
I can't speak for Him, but I doubt "He thinks this".. He Knows

And it probably has to do with being a Poorna Avatar

That is certainly a difference between Hinduism and Christianity.
The Bible tells us that only Jesus has come down to earth from heaven. It that way it is exclusive. All other people are just that, humans with no divinity. Iows Avatars are just people who claim divinity.
1John 1:7But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. 8If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.…

Kelly of the Phoenix

In my opinion, someone who stops being a Christian was never a Christian to start with. That person may have believed a few things Christians believe or attens a Christian church. But he or she was not a true Christian, only a part time Christian. God calls those He wants and once called, one does not change his mind.
What if God wants someone to leave Christianity? Like how God told biblical prophets to do weird things to make some kind of point?

Brian2

Veteran Member
If God only knows as much as we do, why bother?

It's not that God only knows as much as we know, it is that we know only as much as God wants to let us know at a particular time.
God knows it all and reveals it slowly.
The most important thing is to know God and Jesus and knowing the information we have about them is not what I mean.

For the first eighteen years of a person's life, any version of Christianity they are presented with is going to be fake.
Christianity for children involves pretending that Christians do not have legitimate disagreements on important matters.

Once adulthood starts, any Christian who asks a serious, critical question, because they consider it important, is told that they are not old enough to understand.

This means that Christianity is not a faith to live by but just a religion to belong to. Does it ever claim to have relevance in the life of an individual Christian? If it does, at what point in that Christian's life does it become relevant?