• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What group does your faith belong to?

Which grouping does your religion best fit in?

• Abrahamic/Gnostic

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Dharmic

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Neo-Pagan/occult/Mystic (Wicca, Thelema, ect)

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Left Hand Path

• Universalism/Syncretic/Non-revealed

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • New religious movement (New Age, scientology, ect)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Irreligious

• Indigenous Religions

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

jasonwill2

This is, for simplicity, grouped into essentially the family of beliefs that any one religion belongs to. No reason for 30 options when comparatively the demographics and number of active users on the site makes it hard to compare with a range of options too large for the sampling size.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
LHP covers it quite a bit, but not completely. I can't really say, it's possibly just its own thing.

jasonwill2

Hahah I fit 3 of them,

You sincerely believe in three groupings, or use their beliefs as tools? You are a Chaos Magican, so I know you just use beliefs for tools as you have said so. I think that would put you in Left Hand Path. But if you really do fit into three then you would be I would think Syncretic. *shrugs*

LHP covers it quite a bit, but not completely. I can't really say, it's possibly just its own thing.

I think in the OP, not the poll question I said which group your beliefs best fit into.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Not in my mind, because Paganism is inherently syncretic in the first place, especially Neopaganism.

jasonwill2

Not in my mind, because Paganism is inherently syncretic in the first place, especially Neopaganism.

Then go with neo-pagan?

Ok... guys, is this your way of telling me the poll options suck? If I put 20 options the number of people who vote won't give any meaningful comparison of the options. We need more people for a poll with that many options.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Then go with neo-pagan?

Ok... guys, is this your way of telling me the poll options suck? If I put 20 options the number of people who vote won't give any meaningful comparison of the options. We need more people for a poll with that many options.

If you're asking me, no I don't think the poll sucks. Any poll asking for religious affiliation is going to have problems with it, because it is attempting to map a bewilderingly large and diverse landscape. The best you can do is think about how you want to use the data and what they are for, then tailor things in a way that makes sense for the intended purpose. For this site, it makes most sense to make the options reflect the DIR forums, perhaps? That scheme has flaws also, but it bears relevance for the site. I wouldn't lump "New Age" under Neopagan, for example.

By and large, I prefer religious identification polls that allow you to check all that apply. That's one of the things I didn't like about the original one. :D

Last edited:

jasonwill2

If you're asking me, no I don't think the poll sucks. Any poll asking for religious affiliation is going to have problems with it, because it is attempting to map a bewilderingly large and diverse landscape. The best you can do is think about how you want to use the data and what they are for, then tailor things in a way that makes sense for the intended purpose. For this site, it makes most sense to make the options reflect the DIR forums, perhaps? That scheme has flaws also, but it bears relevance for the site. I wouldn't lump "New Age" under Neopagan, for example.

By and large, I prefer religious identification polls that allow you to check all that apply. That's one of the things I didn't like about the original one. :D

New age and Neo-Paganism are in different options. I wanted to compare hard-and-fast groups of thoughts with seeing what beliefs were most dominant per person, meaning that choosing multiple choices messed with that data to scan population-wise. Also this was partially based off our DIR's

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
For those who appreciate and require a full taxonomy:

Domain: Theist
Kingdom: Monotheist
Phylum: Panentheist
Class: Ekam sat
Order: Hindu
Family: Advaita
Genus: Vaishnava
Species: Bhakti

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
For those who appreciate and require a full taxonomy:

Domain: Theist
Kingdom: Monotheist
Phylum: Panentheist
Class: Ekam sat
Order: Hindu
Family: Advaita
Genus: Vaishnava
Species: Bhakti

Haha I love how you set this up. Its also quite clear

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Perhaps the option of "Eclectic" is what everyone who is dissatisfied with the choices is looking for?

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
Interesting that in the original poll Christianity and Atheism were neck-and-neck, well outdistancing other beliefs. In this poll, syncretism has jumped out to an early lead. Do you suppose this reflects a change in the make up of the board, a change in indetification in response to the new terms, or simply that not enough people have yet responded?