• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Everyone Should Know...Don't Talk To The Cops

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
It's a lengthy video, but it's captivating.
There are grave dangers out there for even innocent people.
This video offers great advice & illumination of the legal system.
It made me feel stupid.
If it makes you feel stupid too, then you're learning too.

Imagine having to give them everything literally in writing! (Only quasi-joking)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I got interviewed once (many years ago) as there was an allegation made against someone I was with. Given that I neither reported a crime, nor left the scene, that left me dragged into the investigation.
I was a minor at the time, but had nothing to hide, and so went down to the station, told them what had happened from my perspective (no lawyer or parents present) and then accepted the offer of a lift home from them.

I'm pretty sure the real interrogation was on the trip home. The cop was very friendly, and was constantly trying to position himself as being on my side, making some mildly derogatory comments about the complainant, and seeing if I'd agree.
Nothing would have been admissible from it, I'm sure, but people who suggest you don't need to worry about talking to the cops unless you have something to hide are kidding themselves.

------------------------------------

Just in the interests of balance, my other engagement with police (apart from when I tried to join them once...lol) was with the New Zealand police when I got completely drunk, and decided to sit on the kerb about 100 metres from my apartment, as I was a little weary.
They were extremely polite (given circumstances) and walked me home. Got me off the street, kept me safe, and meant other citizens weren't subjected to me throwing up on their shoes, or anything.

Funniest part is that they wanted to see my license so they could make sure my address really was close by before walking me home. But of course I have an Aussie license. I'd lived in NZ for about a year at that point, and it had taken the edge off my accent, but I got a very direct message of 'If we start walking you home, and it turns out you live in Melbourne, you know we're going to be unhappy, right?'

Justanatheist

In the UK,

Request duty solicitor before uttering one word to police. Duty solicitor free.
Do not allow them to use first name, keep it formal they are not your friend.
If taken to cell request prisoners book with your rights to medical care, pillows, blankets, food and most importantly tea!
Do not involve yourself in casual conversation, THEY ARE NOT YOUR FRIENDS.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
This video offers great advice & illumination of the legal system.
It made me feel stupid.

I watched that video a couple of weeks ago.
For similar reasons, I suspect one should avoid talking to congressional committees as well.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Of course you have some disability identifier to give
them, lest they take offense at your silence....right?

One in each of my purses, one in my phone case (has a card holder), and in a little cubby hole in my dashboard lest someone think I'm reaching for the glovebox (you really never know).

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Of course you have some disability identifier to give
them, lest they take offense at your silence....right?

But the half-joking part was that I would likely be writing things down (also keep about 4 billion notepads in my center console). Faster than text to speech (also I hate text to speech) and though between friends I message or at least type and show my screen, that's too small and I've found unless people know what I'm doing they think I'm like "hey look at my phone," not at what I've typed. So they're getting a piece of paper with writing. Maybe I should just do text to speech for this.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You shouldn't talk to the police. Just saying "I'm sorry" can be used as evidence of a confession, I think?

I haven't watched the video though. Is my reply relevant despite not watching the video? Because I happen to know a novice amount about law, despite not having any degree in it, and not being qualified to give professional advice to people - I'm just an armchair person with an understanding of quite a few things regarding it, an above average understanding but since the average person knows little about law, to the point of probably not even knowing what a 'welfare check' is, yes, I can say I might have an above average understanding.
Arming yourself with knowledge is our best defense against the cops. And knowing how to communicate with them is the first way to approach it.
Short, specific answers, absolutely nothing incriminating and absolutely nothing they don't need. Situations vary, but if it's more than a routine, absolutely nothing without a lawyer.
And agree to NOTHING. Sign NOTHING without a lawyer present. Confess to NOTHING (especially if you didn't do it) without a lawyer.
The police aren't your friend, and they do play dirty.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This video offers great advice for & illumination of the legal system.
It made me feel stupid.

I think I've seen this video before. It's good information.

Sometimes you post things that I agree with.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Of course, Soviet police were the best, eh.

Well, they did manage to keep crime down.

Someone once told me that, during Stalin's reign, if someone left a wallet in a bar or a restaurant, they could come back hours later and find it still there, untouched. No one would dare try to take it. That's effective crime control.

In contrast, U.S. police have been compromised, in league with gangs and organized crime, while coming down hard on the small fry and honest citizens. That's what makes the tricks and mischief by U.S. police (as outlined in the video) all the more infuriating, since they go after people and violate their rights, yet have nothing to show for it. We still have organized crime and violent gangs terrorizing the cities - something that would be unheard of in a society with real police, who actually take their jobs seriously, not as a source of personal enrichment.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, they did manage to keep crime down.

Someone once told me that, during Stalin's reign, if someone left a wallet in a bar or a restaurant, they could come back hours later and find it still there, untouched. No one would dare try to take it. That's effective crime control.

In contrast, U.S. police have been compromised, in league with gangs and organized crime, while coming down hard on the small fry and honest citizens. That's what makes the tricks and mischief by U.S. police (as outlined in the video) all the more infuriating, since they go after people and violate their rights, yet have nothing to show for it. We still have organized crime and violent gangs terrorizing the cities - something that would be unheard of in a society with real police, who actually take their jobs seriously, not as a source of personal enrichment.
Yes, I figured you'd be a fan of the KGB (Putin's alma mater) & its efficiency.

We Never Know

No Slack
This video offers great advice for & illumination of the legal system.
It made me feel stupid.

One thing that wasn't mentioned was that the police/prosecutor doesn't really care if you are guilty or innocent, they mainly only care about closing the case.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Slightly different to 'not talking to cops' but neither will I race in to help cops if they are struggling with suspects.

Some might think me most wrong to say that, but before you act you have to accept that...

You are not wearing body armour, like them.
If you are hurt you don't get to the front of the A&E queue, like them.
If you use too much force you will not be so protected, unlike them.
You don't have brilliant life insurance, like them.
You don't have such protective instruments and weapons, as them.
You are not in uniform (and can be mistaken for a baddie) unlike them.
You will lose your entire day to statement taking etc.
You could lose days in court cases.

But if you still want to help a struggling cop then fair enough, but eyes open, yes?
And since the good samaritan looks like just another
dangerous civilian, no good goes unpunished.
Man who tried to help fallen Colorado officer was shot and killed by another officer, police say

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Point after point in praise of the USSR.
Even a barely literate Scot can read between the lines.

You're mischaracterizing it when you say "praise." I've given fair, objective assessments, addressing both the positive and the negative, looking at everything and denying nothing. I just don't take the Joe McCarthy "Red Scare" approach, and you see that as "praise."

Can you say the same about your praise of capitalism?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You're mischaracterizing it when you say "praise." I've given fair, objective assessments, addressing both the positive and the negative, looking at everything and denying nothing. I just don't take the Joe McCarthy "Red Scare" approach, and you see that as "praise."

Can you say the same about your praise of capitalism?
Again....between the lines lies the message.