• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Everyone Should Know...Don't Talk To The Cops

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's a lengthy video, but it's captivating.
There are grave dangers out there for even innocent people.
This video offers great advice for & illumination of the legal system.
It made me feel stupid.
If it makes you feel stupid too, then you're learning too.

Last edited:

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
You shouldn't talk to the police. Just saying "I'm sorry" can be used as evidence of a confession, I think?

I haven't watched the video though. Is my reply relevant despite not watching the video? Because I happen to know a novice amount about law, despite not having any degree in it, and not being qualified to give professional advice to people - I'm just an armchair person with an understanding of quite a few things regarding it, an above average understanding but since the average person knows little about law, to the point of probably not even knowing what a 'welfare check' is, yes, I can say I might have an above average understanding.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You shouldn't talk to the police. Just saying "I'm sorry" can be used as evidence of a confession, I think?

I haven't watched the video though. Is my reply relevant despite not watching the video? Because I happen to know a novice amount about law, despite not having any degree in it, and not being qualified to give professional advice to people - I'm just an armchair person with an understanding of quite a few things regarding it, an above average understanding but since the average person knows little about law, to the point of probably not even knowing what a 'welfare check' is, yes, I can say I might have an above average understanding.
I understand not wanting to watch a lengthy video.
They're rarely worth the time. This one is.
But I have this very short video about how to
talk to cops. It's brilliant. It's only a minute.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I've been watching 5-6 minutes now @Revoltingest - I agree with the video so far. I have my doubts I'm going to post a rebuttal to anything in this video, rather than just nod my head in understanding and agreement. I may watch more later. But I sometimes have a short attention span. Sometimes I have to get up to blow my nose too due to this cold.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I understand not wanting to watch a lengthy video.
They're rarely worth the time. This one is.
But I have this very short video about how to
talk to cops. It's brilliant. It's only a minute.
Well I guess this guy had the tail of straw, that is why he would not answer questions.:p

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
If you go down to the police station to talk about something, but there are suspicions you might have some involvement, the police may sit you down, act friendly, give you a soda. You sit back, relax, drink the soda. The police take the soda bottle later as DNA evidence just in case they have to use it later. Or so I've read, based on multiple people's accounts on a site I go to that has good fact-checking.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've been watching 5-6 minutes now @Revoltingest - I agree with the video so far. I have my doubts I'm going to post a rebuttal to anything in this video, rather than just nod my head in understanding and agreement. I may watch more later. But I sometimes have a short attention span. Sometimes I have to get up to blow my nose too due to this cold.
Before you post a rebuttal, be sure to watch the
2nd half where the other lecturer, a cop, agrees
with the first one, & tells of the tactics he uses
to get admissions & confessions.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Before you post a rebuttal, be sure to watch the
2nd half where the other lecturer, a cop, agrees
with the first one, & tells of the tactics he uses
to get admissions & confessions.

I don't see myself posting a rebuttal. Unless you know me better than me, and think that I will. In which case, I'm not sure who's correct.

I'm at 17-22 minutes. Thanks for posting this thread.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Best not to say that you are 'sorry'.
It is much more safe to say that you are sad. :)

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
I’ll take my own advice on this. Be respectful, civilized, and cooperative when interacting with the police.

At least 99% of all police fatalities could easily be avoided with this advice.

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
If you go down to the police station to talk about something,
Best not to.......... (going down to the police station if you are suspected of anything.)
It's much better to stay at home and politely refuse. If they have evidence then they will need to arrest you and CAUTION you, and you can have legal advice then.

but there are suspicions you might have some involvement, the police may sit you down, act friendly, give you a soda.
But you will be safe at home...... watching telly..... no probs. :)

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I’ll take my own advice on this. Be respectful, civilized, and cooperative when interacting with the police.

At least 99% of all police fatalities could easily be avoided with this advice.

Another piece of advice. I have heard that if you have a concealed carry, and the officer asks if you have any weapons, never ever reach for the weapon. Calmly tell them that you have a concealed carry and tell them where. If they ask you to take it out, ask them to do it, as another officer who is coming right onto the scene could misunderstand what's going on.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Slightly different to 'not talking to cops' but neither will I race in to help cops if they are struggling with suspects.

Some might think me most wrong to say that, but before you act you have to accept that...

You are not wearing body armour, like them.
If you are hurt you don't get to the front of the A&E queue, like them.
If you use too much force you will not be so protected, unlike them.
You don't have brilliant life insurance, like them.
You don't have such protective instruments and weapons, as them.
You are not in uniform (and can be mistaken for a baddie) unlike them.
You will lose your entire day to statement taking etc.
You could lose days in court cases.

But if you still want to help a struggling cop then fair enough, but eyes open, yes?