• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Entertainment Subscription Services Do You Have?

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I am very subscription-happy. I live on disability and have a lot of time to watch pretty much anything I want, and subscriptions are a way where I can have a lot of content for not much money. And there seems to be quite a few subscriptions I just need to have in order to function as a human being.

I have a bookmark folder called "Core Seven" which is the top seven video subscription services I use. This includes...

YouTube Premium Family - I link all six accounts to my friends and family, and I pay for this.
Twitch Turbo - Similar to YouTube Premium but for Twitch, I pay for this myself.
Netflix - I get this from my parents.
Hulu - I get this from a friend.
Prime Video - I pay a discounted rate for Prime from being on disability and I share this.
Disney+ - I pay for this and share with everybody in my inner circle.
HBO Max - I pay for this currently but once my friend gets a job she will pay for this.

And then there's the other subscriptions such as...

MUSIC
SoundTrap/Spotify Duo-Subscription - Create music, podcasts and listen to Spotify in one subscription.
Sirius XM - Great for discovering music I haven't heard in a long time, pairs well together with Spotify.
Pandora - Good for walks where I don't want to mess with what I'm listening to, but want to hear new music.

VIDEO GAMES
Nintendo Switch Online w/Expansion Pack - Solely for myself, I seriously need to use this more.
World of Warcraft - This is solely for myself and I also get the expansions when they release.

OTHER
GoDaddy Hosting - I have a domain name plus hosting through GoDaddy.

So yes, I pay a premium when it comes to subscription services. I get pretty much everything I desire however. There's plenty of other subscriptions I had for awhile but stopped using. This includes Humble Monthly, a subscription service mostly focused on indie games you'd get for your Steam account every month. Because of that service I have about 500 games for my Steam that I never play.

I don't even want to think about how much I'm spending a month on these services. Well, take $19+$9+$7+$8+$15+$20+$9+$5+$15+$17 a month and add $50 and $20 a year after that and that's roughly the price I spend for these. I know it's a lot of money but with the free time I have being disabled I actually use, or want to use, all of these services.

I calculated it and I pay roughly $130 for these services every month.

So now I bring it back to you. What subscription services do you use? Do you pay for it or does someone you trust pay for them? Who do you share your subscription services with? Include any entertainment subscriptions as well as other subscription services you use, including if you have cable or a cord-cutting cable service.

I probably have one of the most expansive and expensive subscription service list out there, but let's not forget there is cable which could easy be the cost of multiple services, and then there's Peacock and Paramount+, among many other lower-tier subscription services I have not chosen to buy or use.

Let me know what you have or your other thoughts regarding the high cost of low-cost subscriptions. And if you are a pirate, then include the cost of your VPN for your piracy, argh!

exchemist

Veteran Member
I am very subscription-happy. I live on disability and have a lot of time to watch pretty much anything I want, and subscriptions are a way where I can have a lot of content for not much money. And there seems to be quite a few subscriptions I just need to have in order to function as a human being.

I have a bookmark folder called "Core Seven" which is the top seven video subscription services I use. This includes...

YouTube Premium Family - I link all six accounts to my friends and family, and I pay for this.
Twitch Turbo - Similar to YouTube Premium but for Twitch, I pay for this myself.
Netflix - I get this from my parents.
Hulu - I get this from a friend.
Prime Video - I pay a discounted rate for Prime from being on disability and I share this.
Disney+ - I pay for this and share with everybody in my inner circle.
HBO Max - I pay for this currently but once my friend gets a job she will pay for this.

And then there's the other subscriptions such as...

MUSIC
SoundTrap/Spotify Duo-Subscription - Create music, podcasts and listen to Spotify in one subscription.
Sirius XM - Great for discovering music I haven't heard in a long time, pairs well together with Spotify.
Pandora - Good for walks where I don't want to mess with what I'm listening to, but want to hear new music.

VIDEO GAMES
Nintendo Switch Online w/Expansion Pack - Solely for myself, I seriously need to use this more.
World of Warcraft - This is solely for myself and I also get the expansions when they release.

OTHER
GoDaddy Hosting - I have a domain name plus hosting through GoDaddy.

So yes, I pay a premium when it comes to subscription services. I get pretty much everything I desire however. There's plenty of other subscriptions I had for awhile but stopped using. This includes Humble Monthly, a subscription service mostly focused on indie games you'd get for your Steam account every month. Because of that service I have about 500 games for my Steam that I never play.

I don't even want to think about how much I'm spending a month on these services. Well, take $19+$9+$7+$8+$15+$20+$9+$5+$15+$17 a month and add $50 and $20 a year after that and that's roughly the price I spend for these. I know it's a lot of money but with the free time I have being disabled I actually use, or want to use, all of these services.

I calculated it and I pay roughly $130 for these services every month.

So now I bring it back to you. What subscription services do you use? Do you pay for it or does someone you trust pay for them? Who do you share your subscription services with? Include any entertainment subscriptions as well as other subscription services you use, including if you have cable or a cord-cutting cable service.

I probably have one of the most expansive and expensive subscription service list out there, but let's not forget there is cable which could easy be the cost of multiple services, and then there's Peacock and Paramount+, among many other lower-tier subscription services I have not chosen to buy or use.

Let me know what you have or your other thoughts regarding the high cost of low-cost subscriptions. And if you are a pirate, then include the cost of your VPN for your piracy, argh!
None.

I read a bit, watch YouTube more than I should (I subscribe to ONE YouTuber's channel), spend some time of science forums and this place, and do the house and garden. But then I'm not (yet) disabled - coming up to 68 and most bits still work, more or less.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
None.

I read a bit, watch YouTube more than I should (I subscribe to ONE YouTuber's channel), spend some time of science forums and this place, and do the house and garden. But then I'm not (yet) disabled - coming up to 68 and most bits still work, more or less.

I'm in the same boat, minus the science forums and the garden(that's my husband's domain). Though I probably read more than I should, and watch a bit of YouTube...

exchemist

Veteran Member
I'm in the same boat, minus the science forums and the garden(that's my husband's domain). Though I probably read more than I should, and watch a bit of YouTube...
Reading more than you should is impossible. Unless it's Mills and Boon crap.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member

Eh, depends... reading when I should be sweeping...

I'm unfamiliar with Mills and Boon. I'll assume that's a good thing.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Eh, depends... reading when I should be sweeping...

I'm unfamiliar with Mills and Boon. I'll assume that's a good thing.
Yes, that's a good thing.

I should read more, but I'm struggling a bit with attention span these days. Don't know if it's age or something more sinister.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, that's a good thing.

I should read more, but I'm struggling a bit with attention span these days. Don't know if it's age or something more sinister.

I find when I use the internet too much, my attention span starts lowering... I think its that 'instant gratification' trigger that makes it harder to concentrate on texts sometimes.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I find when I use the internet too much, my attention span starts lowering... I think its that 'instant gratification' trigger that makes it harder to concentrate on texts sometimes.
Yeah it could be that. I need to leave Charlotte alone for a bit.:D Also various TV shows that I've started watching (which is how I came across Charlotte in the first place)...... These are basically bad habits I've picked up since my son went off to university, leaving me on my own in the house without the rhythm of his schooldays. I need to do more to find a new modus vivendi now that he is not around so much. I'm sure the Charlotte thing is partly a wish for (female) company.

But I have been reading an excellent novel called "The Essex Serpent", by Sarah Perry, a youngish British author. It is really good and I am greatly enjoying it. But I am finding it a bit rich: I tend to read a chapter and then get up and do something else while it sinks in. It came out in 2016. I recommend it highly.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
We have no tv subscriptions

We do have freeview satellite giving around 110 tv channels, 50 radio channels, all the bbc red button channels.

16 French free to air terrestrial channels

And access to orange satellite that comes free as part of our internet and phone subscription that we don't use. It has 70 free channels and over 200 paid channels

And any number of free internet tv channels

What do we need to subscribe to anything for.

Although subscription channels are producing good stuff i would sometime like to see, watching tv is not that a high priority

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think these modern subscriptions are mostly a rip off. I have zero right now.

I think my last subscription was the orginal Xbox magazine and Playstation Underground.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Got a few. Watched every terrible sci-fi film/show on several services. There is a lot of bad sci-fi out there.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah it could be that. I need to leave Charlotte alone for a bit.:D Also various TV shows that I've started watching (which is how I came across Charlotte in the first place)...... These are basically bad habits I've picked up since my son went off to university, leaving me on my own in the house without the rhythm of his schooldays. I need to do more to find a new modus vivendi now that he is not around so much. I'm sure the Charlotte thing is partly a wish for (female) company.

But I have been reading an excellent novel called "The Essex Serpent", by Sarah Perry, a youngish British author. It is really good and I am greatly enjoying it. But I am finding it a bit rich: I tend to read a chapter and then get up and do something else while it sinks in. It came out in 2016. I recommend it highly.

Its a big change. I can see how it would throw you into new habits...

Are you still going walking?

We have no tv subscriptions

We do have freeview satellite giving around 110 tv channels, 50 radio channels, all the bbc red button channels.

16 French free to air terrestrial channels

And access to orange satellite that comes free as part of our internet and phone subscription that we don't use. It has 70 free channels and over 200 paid channels

And any number of free internet tv channels

What do we need to subscribe to anything for.

Although subscription channels are producing good stuff i would sometime like to see, watching tv is not that a high priority

Wow! That is a lot of free satellite! I think our free channels number around 20. It takes a lot of messing with stuff to get them to come in though; largely not worth it for most of us most of the time.

I think these modern subscriptions are mostly a rip off. I have zero right now.

I think my last subscription was the orginal Xbox magazine and Playstation Underground.

I forgot about my magazine subscription.

I do subscribe to Hinduism Today.

ChristineM

Premium Member

I have a cousin that writer that mills and boon crap under a pseudonym. She is a college English teacher and doesn't want anyone to know.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!

Same here. I can definitely afford a few subscriptions, but I’m just not interested because of everything else I have or do. Plus, I’m easily amused, so YouTube is more than sufficient when it comes to entertainment.

I think these modern subscriptions are mostly a rip off.

I get that feeling, too.

Cool! I’m subscribed to Tattvāloka. I receive their periodical in the mail every month. June’s came with a standing icon of Bhadralaksmi. :)

ChristineM

Premium Member
Wow! That is a lot of free satellite! I think our free channels number around 20. It takes a lot of messing with stuff to get them to come in though; largely not worth it for most of us most of the time.

There is rarely anything to watch other than repeats. The subscription services have bought all the good stuff.

Hence my hours and hours on RF :rolleyes:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Its a big change. I can see how it would throw you into new habits...

Are you still going walking?

Yes some Fridays, when my singing friend Victoria is not working and when her teenage daughter is at school i.e. not in school holidays. Having walked round London on the Capital Ring, we are doing the same further out, on the London Loop, about 150miles in total. We have got about 2/3 of the way round now, clockwise starting at Erith, on the South bank of the Thames estuary. We've just done the area round Pinner, where Elton John (a.k.a. Reg Dwight) was brought up and where my maternal grandparents had a big house, to the North West of London.

"Hinduism Today" sounds a little bit like some of the trade publications my work colleagues and I used to have to read, for professional reasons, the dullest of which, by a short head, was generally agreed to be the "National Lubricating Grease Institute Spokesman" :D. It still exists: One moment, please...

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
We have Foxtel which is the Australian version of cable tv. I like the motor racing and British comedies they have and my wife likes the lifestyle shows (home renovations, house sales, antiques) and much to my horror American soaps. We do have access to my daughters Netflix but hardly ever use it.