• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does spiritual wisdom mean to you?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I hope this thread can be a good place to discuss/debate the topic of wisdom/no wisdom

When someone speaks of spiritual wisdom, what is your understanding of this topic?
What is difficult to understand in the teaching of spiritual wisdom?

Different religions or different spiritual teachings have their own way of describing wisdom.
Do you find it to be "nonsense"? or do you understand it to be more of a development from within each person who follows spiritual teaching?

And to Atheists who do not believe in something spiritual about life, be it spiritual beings or spiritual teachings.
What are your thoughts about spiritual wisdom?
And maybe the most difficult question to answer. since many atheists say there is nothing except this physical exitance, why is there to you no chance that something "invisible" can exist without you understand it or see it?
Can only science hold the truth?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
When someone speaks of spiritual wisdom, what is your understanding of this topic?
The dimensions of our reality are the levels of internal spiritual wisdom; we can see when someone isn't in alignment with all chakras, and therefore are not maintaining that aspect of Yoga, because their frequency dulls.
Truth is established when all fallacies are removed; science is one method of removing fallacies, religious deduction is another.
Different religions or different spiritual teachings have their own way of describing wisdom.
Do you find it to be "nonsense"? or do you understand it to be more of a development from within each person who follows spiritual teaching?
There are different forms of intelligence, and people will understand certain fields:

historical, grammatical, clerical, mathematical, statistical, analytical, architectural, tactical, logistical, deligator, articulator, representor, operational, dissector/dismantlor, whit, guesstimating, balancing, antagonist, musical, artistic, structural/formulated, etc.

There are different forms of wisdom at the highest level; yet only when we encompass the many little levels of the dimensions.

Buddha means Discernment, Yehoshua means the Lord Saves/Salvation is from Source, Krishna means all reflective dark beauty like the moon, Lao Tzu means Ancient Master, Zanda means Exegesis, each is a form of advanced intrinseque wisdom that makes up 0neness.

Whereas often people are saying study all the knowledge in a religion, as then we can learn wisdom; personally find the bigger the knots, and the more patient we are to sit and untie it, the more we learn from the process.

In my opinion. :innocent:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
There are different forms of intelligence, and people will understand certain fields:

historical, grammatical, clerical, mathematical, statistical, analytical, architectural, tactical, logistical, deligator, articulator, representor, operational, dissector/dismantlor, whit, guesstimating, balancing, antagonist, musical, artistic, structural/formulated, etc.
Thank you for replying @Wisanda :)
In your reply, the part I quoted here, I find it to be very basic knowledge of everyday man, not something very high in wisdom. it is a very human way of thinking. So not sure I can agree that it is spiritual wisdom.

And a question that arise is, Do you see human intelligence and spiritual wisdom as the same thing?

Ps. Don't take my disagreement with you, as an attack or dislike of what you know and understand. or of you as a person.
We just see things very differently :)

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Wisdom in Judaism is called Chochmah in Hebrew. It is best described as having an epiphany or as the cognitive beginning of an idea that is yet to be formed. It's the very beginning of the creative process.

However, because this seminal thought is still unformed, it could be a constructive/productive idea ( Good Wisdom ) or it could be a destructive/flawed idea ( Bad Wisdom ).

A practical example:

An Architect wants to build a house. The seminal idea of building the house and the confidence that it will be beautiful ( because the Architect is trained and has build beautiful homes before ) is Good Wisdom. Even though the Architect has not actually drawn the plans yet, the Architect, in their wisdom, is able to have confidence that the idea will be a success. However, if I want to build a beautiful house I may still be confident, but it would be foolish ( Bad Wisdom ) for me to try to design it myself.

The mechanism of the birth/beginning of the idea for building the house in both my mind and the Architects mind is the same. It is through Chochmah, Wisdom. However, it is wise for the Architect to pursue this idea, but it will be foolish for me to try to do the same thing. This is where Understanding ( Binah in Hebrew ) takes over from Chochmah ( Wisdom ).

Before the idea is formed, there is no Understanding or limits placed the idea, and that's why both good ideas and bad ideas are described as coming from the mechanism in the mind called Wisdom. But in English Good wisdom is "wise" and Bad wisdom is "foolish" or "folly".

Last edited:

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Do you see human intelligence and spiritual wisdom as the same thing?
Wisdom and intelligence have just been defined as two totally different things in what I wrote; I understand English isn't your first language so maybe that wasn't clear.

There are different forms of intelligence, and it is our ability to solve different forms of equations in different fields of processing.

Wisdom is the ability to solve which forms of intelligence are used to fix a given issue.

Wisdom is something that can be scaled by the dimensional quantum physics of reality; the higher our wisdom level, the more we can attune with Heaven.
Truth is established when all fallacies are removed; science is one method of removing fallacies, religious deduction is another.
You ask what is wisdom to me, this is... I wrote this line, and anyone who watches my posts on here will know I'm always editing, until I'm happy it is perfect for everyone.

This line could be improved on, and the wisdom to comprehend a better phraseology is taking me time to expand my own way of thinking, to then explain it for others on here...

With the Source often communicating advanced psychology in-between, thus will explain the thinking:

In scientific investigation, we might have both deductive, and inductive reasoning used, and through the process of both we become wiser.

In religion when it becomes only inductive reasoning, this is limiting from the process of none removal of rubbish doctrine, that doesn't fit into the logic acquired.

Therefore we always need a better method of using both forms of reasoning, to then come to enlightenment.
In your reply, the part I quoted here, I find it to be very basic knowledge of everyday man, not something very high in wisdom. it is a very human way of thinking. So not sure I can agree that it is spiritual wisdom.
Ps. Don't take my disagreement with you, as an attack or dislike of what you know and understand. or of you as a person.
We just see things very differently
Considering the level of comprehension to understand dimensional quantum physics, & all forms of yoga properly is beyond the wisdom of most theoretical physicists, and Yogi put together.

The idea you're thinking you might insult me by not understanding the complexities, doesn't offend us in the slightest.

Try to stop looking for external ways to accuse/blame, and learn to accuse within; we can become wiser then. :purpleheart:

When we've learned to see that externally blaming, leads to three fingers pointing back; the inner wisdom of reflection within, creates light to share.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
It depends on who is using the term. I've seen three main categories of people that use it. In my experience, it's a term...
  • thrown about by people who think they have it.
  • used by those who seek it.
  • dismissed by those that have come to realize that all existence is sacred and "spiritual," and that such a realization demonstrates that "wisdom" doesn't require a modifying adjective.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And to Atheists who do not believe in something spiritual about life, be it spiritual beings or spiritual teachings. What are your thoughts about spiritual wisdom?

To me, an agnostic atheist, there are only spiritual experiences, not spiritual beings, which is a vague term needing clarification before we can begin to discuss whether such things exist or by what means we can know if they exist, nor spiritual teachings nor wisdom.

And spiritual experiences are psychological phenomena characterized by a sense of mystery, awe, gratitude, and connection. Looking out at the night sky at a single star and recognizing what you are experiencing - how connected we are to that star, how far the drop of light has traveled to inform one's eyes of its presence, and the understanding that we are made of stardust, is an authentic spiritual experience with no gods or spirits involved.

Regarding wisdom, it doesn't need any qualifier like spiritual. There's just wisdom. If intelligence is knowing how to get what you want, wisdom is knowing what to want to be happy. If you mistakenly think that great wealth will make you happy, and are intelligent, you can probably amass great wealth, but you didn't choose what to want wisely, so you probably aren't happy. Calling some wisdom spiritual really means nothing to me.

Sure, plenty of people will adopt a pose or role sitting cross-legged while wearing loose-fitting sheets, burning incense, and
claim to have great insights for living life, but I don't turn to such people for anything. They might possess wisdom, such as the teaching that some desires are harmful and often lead to unhappiness, and thus should be quieted, and that's good advice, but there's nothing spiritual about it. One need not evoke spirits or go into deep trances on entheogens to come to understand that.

since many atheists say there is nothing except this physical existence, why is there to you no chance that something "invisible" can exist without you understand it or see it?

What a rational skeptic - a person who doubts all unsupported claims and requires compelling evidence before believing anything - should say is that nothing is known to exist except the physical, natural world, not that he knows that there is nothing more than the physical. He also should not say that there is no chance that there are undetecable elements of reality, but that such ideas are of little interest or value. They can't be used for anything except to deceive oneself

This will be a long answer, but I think the topic deserves a thorough treatment.

Truth? The term can be problematic, especially when one is seeking such elusive and unobtainable entities as absolute truth and objective truth.

For example, were Newton's physics correct? Did he have the truth? Some of his physics falls short, as Einstein showed us, but most of it is useful. Is it true or not?

I've learned to not get bogged down in that discussion, which is unproductive. Newton's ideas have empirical adequacy (defined below) in the realms in which it is applied, such as the New Horizons space probe. It works, and nothing else is relevant to deciding if this idea is a keeper or not.

For me, truth is the quality that facts possess, facts being linguistic strings (sentences, paragraphs) that accurately map a portion of reality. This is decided empirically - does the idea work to help us anticipate and at times control outcomes? Any other idea is confusing and leads to semantic inefficiencies and errors, or metaphysical claims with no practical value...

Let me illustrate. Correct ideas work. That's what lets us know they're correct. If I tell you that I live five blocks north and three blocks east of the pier, the deciding factor of whether that is correct or not will be whether this idea can be used to get me to the pier. If walking 5 blocks south and three blocks west works as hoped to get me to the pier, then the idea is correct. If I end up anywhere else, it was wrong. That's what I mean by true - it works.

Here are some closely related and useful ideas in this area:

Correspondence definition of truth - a statement is true to the extent that it conforms to / corresponds with / accurately reflects (objective) reality.

Empirical adequacy - A theory or claim of fact is empirically adequate, roughly, if all of what it says about observable aspects of the world (past, present, and future) can be confirmed

Instrumentalism - belief that statements or theories may be used as tools for useful prediction without reference to their possible truth or falsity. Peirce and other pragmatists defended an instrumentalist account of modern science.

Fallibilism - the principle that propositions concerning empirical knowledge can be accepted even though they cannot be proved with certainty.

I really like this formulation by an anonymous Internet source, who has affected my thinking in this area:

"Truth has no meaning divorced from any eventual decision making process. The whole point of belief itself is to inform decisions and drive actions. Actions then influence events in the external world, and those effects lead to objective consequences. Take away any of these elements and truth immediately loses all relevance.

"We should expect similar decisions made under similar circumstances to lead to similar outcomes. Pragmatism says that the ultimate measure of a true or false proposition lies in its capacity to produce expected results. If an idea is true, it can be used in the real world to generate predictable consequences, and different ones if that idea turned out to be false. In other words, the ultimate measure of a true proposition is the capacity to inform decisions under the expectation of desirable consequences.

"All we need to know is that we have desires and preferences, we make decisions, and we experience sensory perceptions of outcomes. If a man has belief B that some action A will produce desired result D, if B is true, then doing A will achieve D. If A fails to achieve D, then B is false. Either you agree that truth should be measured by its capacity to inform decisions and produce results or you don't. If you agree, then we can have a conversation. And if we disagree about some belief, we have a means to decide the issue.

"If this is not how your epistemology works - how you define truth - then we can't have a discussion, and I literally don't care what you think, since it has no effect on anything.
" - AntiCitizenX

That's where I am with a lot of these claims of spirituality and higher truth. If such ideas can only be used to make one feel that he has special knowledge, but not to make better choices in life, then like Anticitizen X, I won't call that knowledge, truth, fact, or wisdom - just feel-good ideas.

This is a pragmatic approach to truth, fact, knowledge, etc.. It's not distracted by sterile metaphysical speculations. It's all about empirical results and obtaining desired outcomes. That is the sine qua non of a correct idea - that it can be used this way.

When you ask if science is the only path to truth, what I would say is that the application of reason to empirical evidence is the only known path to truth as I have defined it. Scientists do that in laboratories and observatories, but we all do it every day as well, as when looking both ways before crossing a street. We are acquiring empirical evidence about the present condition of the traffic in the street, and making rational choices to effect a desired outcome, namely, crossing the street safely. If that's science, then yes, science is the only known path to truth.

What's the alternative to this approach too navigating reality? Faith, which arriving at a belief without going through the reason and evidence route.

I consider that a mistake - logical error. Faith can't possibly be a path to truth if any idea or its mutually exclusive, polar opposite can equally well be believed by faith, even though at least one such idea is incorrect. And if you happen to guess correctly, you cannot know that you have until you acquire evidence, anyway.

When you resort to evidence properly understood, you get one answer, such as the speed of light, you get the same answer (within the limits of measurement) every time every time you remeasure, and if that answer can be used to successfully predict outcomes, such as how long it will take messages from a probe orbiting Saturn to reach tracking stations on earth, you can call it correct, true, or any other related term, and add it to your fund of useful knowledge.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
To me, an agnostic atheist, there are only spiritual experiences, not spiritual beings, which is a vague term needing clarification before we can begin to discuss whether such things exist or by what means we can know if they exist, nor spiritual teachings nor wisdom.

And spiritual experiences are psychological phenomena characterized by a sense of mystery, awe, gratitude, and connection. Looking out at the night sky at a single star and recognizing what you are experiencing - how connected we are to that star, how far the drop of light has traveled to inform one's eyes of its presence, and the understanding that we are made of stardust, is an authentic spiritual experience with no gods or spirits involved.

Regarding wisdom, it doesn't need any qualifier like spiritual. There's just wisdom. If intelligence is knowing how to get what you want, wisdom is knowing what to want to be happy. If you mistakenly think that great wealth will make you happy, and are intelligent, you can probably amass great wealth, but you didn't choose what to want wisely, so you probably aren't happy. Calling some wisdom spiritual really means nothing to me.

Sure, plenty of people will adopt a pose or role sitting cross-legged while wearing loose-fitting sheets, burning incense, and
claim to have great insights for living life, but I don't turn to such people for anything. They might possess wisdom, such as the teaching that some desires are harmful and often lead to unhappiness, and thus should be quieted, and that's good advice, but there's nothing spiritual about it. One need not evoke spirits or go into deep trances on entheogens to come to understand that.

What a rational skeptic - a person who doubts all unsupported claims and requires compelling evidence before believing anything - should say is that nothing is known to exist except the physical, natural world, not that he knows that there is nothing more than the physical. He also should not say that there is no chance that there are undetecable elements of reality, but that such ideas are of little interest or value. They can't be used for anything except to deceive oneself

This will be a long answer, but I think the topic deserves a thorough treatment.

Truth? The term can be problematic, especially when one is seeking such elusive and unobtainable entities as absolute truth and objective truth.

For example, were Newton's physics correct? Did he have the truth? Some of his physics falls short, as Einstein showed us, but most of it is useful. Is it true or not?

I've learned to not get bogged down in that discussion, which is unproductive. Newton's ideas have empirical adequacy (defined below) in the realms in which it is applied, such as the New Horizons space probe. It works, and nothing else is relevant to deciding if this idea is a keeper or not.

For me, truth is the quality that facts possess, facts being linguistic strings (sentences, paragraphs) that accurately map a portion of reality. This is decided empirically - does the idea work to help us anticipate and at times control outcomes? Any other idea is confusing and leads to semantic inefficiencies and errors, or metaphysical claims with no practical value...

Let me illustrate. Correct ideas work. That's what lets us know they're correct. If I tell you that I live five blocks north and three blocks east of the pier, the deciding factor of whether that is correct or not will be whether this idea can be used to get me to the pier. If walking 5 blocks south and three blocks west works as hoped to get me to the pier, then the idea is correct. If I end up anywhere else, it was wrong. That's what I mean by true - it works.

Here are some closely related and useful ideas in this area:

Correspondence definition of truth - a statement is true to the extent that it conforms to / corresponds with / accurately reflects (objective) reality.

Empirical adequacy - A theory or claim of fact is empirically adequate, roughly, if all of what it says about observable aspects of the world (past, present, and future) can be confirmed

Instrumentalism - belief that statements or theories may be used as tools for useful prediction without reference to their possible truth or falsity. Peirce and other pragmatists defended an instrumentalist account of modern science.

Fallibilism - the principle that propositions concerning empirical knowledge can be accepted even though they cannot be proved with certainty.

I really like this formulation by an anonymous Internet source, who has affected my thinking in this area:

"Truth has no meaning divorced from any eventual decision making process. The whole point of belief itself is to inform decisions and drive actions. Actions then influence events in the external world, and those effects lead to objective consequences. Take away any of these elements and truth immediately loses all relevance.

"We should expect similar decisions made under similar circumstances to lead to similar outcomes. Pragmatism says that the ultimate measure of a true or false proposition lies in its capacity to produce expected results. If an idea is true, it can be used in the real world to generate predictable consequences, and different ones if that idea turned out to be false. In other words, the ultimate measure of a true proposition is the capacity to inform decisions under the expectation of desirable consequences.

"All we need to know is that we have desires and preferences, we make decisions, and we experience sensory perceptions of outcomes. If a man has belief B that some action A will produce desired result D, if B is true, then doing A will achieve D. If A fails to achieve D, then B is false. Either you agree that truth should be measured by its capacity to inform decisions and produce results or you don't. If you agree, then we can have a conversation. And if we disagree about some belief, we have a means to decide the issue.

"If this is not how your epistemology works - how you define truth - then we can't have a discussion, and I literally don't care what you think, since it has no effect on anything.
" - AntiCitizenX

That's where I am with a lot of these claims of spirituality and higher truth. If such ideas can only be used to make one feel that he has special knowledge, but not to make better choices in life, then like Anticitizen X, I won't call that knowledge, truth, fact, or wisdom - just feel-good ideas.

This is a pragmatic approach to truth, fact, knowledge, etc.. It's not distracted by sterile metaphysical speculations. It's all about empirical results and obtaining desired outcomes. That is the sine qua non of a correct idea - that it can be used this way.

When you ask if science is the only path to truth, what I would say is that the application of reason to empirical evidence is the only known path to truth as I have defined it. Scientists do that in laboratories and observatories, but we all do it every day as well, as when looking both ways before crossing a street. We are acquiring empirical evidence about the present condition of the traffic in the street, and making rational choices to effect a desired outcome, namely, crossing the street safely. If that's science, then yes, science is the only known path to truth.

What's the alternative to this approach too navigating reality? Faith, which arriving at a belief without going through the reason and evidence route.

I consider that a mistake - logical error. Faith can't possibly be a path to truth if any idea or its mutually exclusive, polar opposite can equally well be believed by faith, even though at least one such idea is incorrect. And if you happen to guess correctly, you cannot know that you have until you acquire evidence, anyway.

When you resort to evidence properly understood, you get one answer, such as the speed of light, you get the same answer (within the limits of measurement) every time every time you remeasure, and if that answer can be used to successfully predict outcomes, such as how long it will take messages from a probe orbiting Saturn to reach tracking stations on earth, you can call it correct, true, or any other related term, and add it to your fund of useful knowledge.
@It Aint Necessarily So.
Thank you so much for your answer. It was a pleasure to read your reply. and have a lot of respect for the way you see and understand the world and our existence :)
Your answer toward if science is the only one holding the truth was very good reading too.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I hope this thread can be a good place to discuss/debate the topic of wisdom/no wisdom

And to Atheists who do not believe in something spiritual about life, be it spiritual beings or spiritual teachings.
And maybe the most difficult question to answer. since many atheists say there is nothing except this physical exitance, why is there to you no chance that something "invisible" can exist without you understand it or see it?

I'm an atheist and believe in spirituality and the invisible; I don't believe in deities/beings/entities. I guess spiritual wisdom to me would be someone who fully lives their healthy and personal values. I admire people who have a connection with the spirits and their ancestors. While the former is hard for me to understand, when I see the relationship and benefits of it of the two, I see it real in people.

I see spirituality by means of how we act. Sometimes I see it as an aura in people. I rarely see it but it's not specific to knowing "spiritual plains" but appreciating the mundane (say working with the earth) and the spirits (say working with the personalities of different parts and traits of the earth) together. It's, how can I say, refreshing to see.

I like seeing people live their religions and values to their full potential and appreciating their five senses with their "sixth." Not forgetting that they are part of this world too. Many say the cliche, look to the present or be in the present. Our past is our foundation, so why put it aside. If we just sat and didn't think of our future, then our children etc would not have the benefit of carrying on wisdom for future generations to come.

Every person has wisdom. I think we would see it more without division.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

When someone describes something as "spiritual wisdom," I generally take this to mean:

- they believe it to be true.
- they consider it important.
- they aren't interested in explaining why they think it's true or important.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
since many atheists say there is nothing except this physical exitance, why is there to you no chance that something "invisible" can exist without you understand it or see it?
I believe there are things that we can't see.

I don't believe that there are things that you can see but that I can't, other than stuff that resides only in your own head.