• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Does It Mean to Say "God is Infinite"?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
As I understand it, there are in mathematics an infinite number of infinities.

There is, for example, infinity, infinity + 1, infinity + 2, infinity + 3, and infinity + @SalixIncendium's horrifying lime-striped tuxedo, which he typically wears with pink sandals. And so on, infinity after infinity.

Now, the question is, "What does it mean to say 'God is infinite'?"

Does that mean there's an infinite god, an infinite god + one more infinite god, an infinite god plus two more infinite gods, etc?

Does it mean god has no beginning and no end?

Does it mean everything is god, since -- if something is not god, that would seem to imply that god has an end of some sort?

Most importantly, does it mean Salix has a infinite set of bad fashion choices to pick his next outfit from?

PuerAzaelis

Unknown Friend
I don't know about God but George Cantor is the reason that I can cross a room and reach the opposite wall while at the same time traversing half the distance, then half of half the distance, then half of half of half of half the distance, then, etc.

Perhaps the real number of Gods is an infinitesimal of infinitesimals.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think that infinite respecting God means that God was never not existing. Some people believe that the material universe always existed. I do not know about that. I do believe that God was always and will be always existing.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
If you ask Wikipedia about (mathematical) infinity, you will sooner or later read this The cardinality of any infinite ordinal number is an aleph number. Every aleph is the cardinality of some ordinal. The least of these is its initial ordinal. Any set whose cardinality is an aleph is equinumerous with an ordinal and is thus well-orderable.

Now aren't you truly sorry to have started this thread? If you become sorry that you're sorry then sorry that you're sorry that you're sorry and down into the "turtles all the way down" philosophy you can experience an infinity of sorrow.

But wait, there's more. If you order now, we'll give you a Wikipedia entry on whether the universe is infinite or not as an ordering bonus.

So you could experience the OP with a layer of math infinity, a layer of (perhaps) physical infinity with a topping of infinite sorrow.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

There is, for example, infinity, infinity + 1, infinity + 2, infinity + 3, and infinity + @SalixIncendium's horrifying lime-striped tuxedo, which he typically wears with pink sandals. And so on, infinity after infinity.

Does that mean there's an infinite god, an infinite god + one more infinite god, an infinite god plus two more infinite gods, etc?

Does it mean everything is god, since -- if something is not god, that would seem to imply that god has an end of some sort?

Most importantly, does it mean Salix has a infinite set of bad fashion choices to pick his next outfit from?

It means god is greater than we can understand him to be. His truth and love etc are everlasting and infinate. It doesnt stop.

Mathematically? Laymans terms: god is a mystery we cant solve

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?

If there were a God and it was infinite it would be the same thing as an infinite space is now. It would be everywhere and have no beginning or end. Say, why not just call God Space? What's the difference?

Of course we don't know if space or a god is infinite. Or if infinity is really infinite in reality.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member

To me, there is no difference between an infinite god and infinite god +. one more infinite god. Infinity is infinity, it is never ending.

Yes, God has no beginning nor end, God pervades all things. Nothing is outside God :D For something to be "not God", meaning God has no influence on this entity, God would be is 1: Does not pervade all things, and 2: is not the fabric of reality itself (meaning he is not time and space). Thus, something outside God would mean God is not infinite.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Yes. "To infinity, and beyond", infinitely.

As in a Mobius strip.

Yes.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Nevermind. Infinite doesn't mean forever. Aren't you proud of me, I learned something today?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

God is as infinite as the imagination will carry it.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Without direction there can be no infinity.
Now is infinity in infinite directions ?
That means that there are infinite directions. And they each have infinite endings.
And if they have seperate endings, do they all have seperate voids at the ends ?
That would mean that the voids have infinite containers, made of infinite......
oh well....that's as far as I can go....maybe there is no infinity ?
Does `God` trim `His` nails, or cut `His` hair, can `He` lick `His` elbow ?
Ahhh...imagination...how far it goes.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Without direction there can be no infinity.
Now is infinity in infinite directions ?
That means that there are infinite directions. And they each have infinite endings.
And if they have seperate endings, do they all have seperate voids at the ends ?
That would mean that the voids have infinite containers, made of infinite......
oh well....that's as far as I can go....maybe there is no infinity ?
Does `God` trim `His` nails, or cut `His` hair, can `He` lick `His` elbow ?
Ahhh...imagination...how far it goes.
Being God, there are no voids. So, you win @Mud.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
If one is given to say that god is infinite they are merely pointing out that they are not above vapid, somewhat meaningless, speculation.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
hey Savagewind,
There is no winning in the world of nothingness !
But I like tying with you, the Cosmos is endless !