• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does it mean "I never knew you"?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is written the Lord will say (or says) "I never knew you. Get away from me you workers of lawlessness."
Matthew 7:23

What does "I never knew you" mean?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I take that to be referring to the religious who have no inner knowledge of Spirit. They do all the external righteous acts of religious prescriptions, but inside are full of envy, pride, jealousy, spite, etc. It goes along with him saying make clean the inside of the cup as well.

"I never knew you", means you never lived a life of the Spirit. That Spirit was never part of their acts.

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I take that to be referring to the religious who have no inner knowledge of Spirit. They do all the external righteous acts of religious prescriptions, but inside are full of envy, pride, jealousy, spite, etc. It goes along with him saying make clean the inside of the cup as well.

"I never knew you", means you never lived a life of the Spirit. That Spirit was never part of their acts.

It is true what you say. Why does he use the word to know though? He is saying he never knew the cups that are unclean inside. Surely he knows workers of iniquity. Why does he say "I never knew you"?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It also does not make sense that he first says "I never knew you" and then he says "get away from me". How can they not be known to him if they are with him? To "get away from me" means with me, now leave.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Where else the word "to know" is found.

Matthew 25:24;
I knew you that hard you are a man reaping where not you did sow and gathering from where not you did scatter.

Luke 8:46;
but Jesus said touched me someone I indeed knew power went out from me

Luke 16:4;
I know what I will do that when I shall have been removed from the management they might receive me into the homes of them

John 17:25;
Father righteous although the world you no knew I moreover you knew and these knew that you me did send

Romans 7:7;
What then will we say the law sin never may it be but sin not I knew if never by law the moreover indeed coveting not I had been conscious of if never the law said not you be covet

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There are different types of knowing. One can know with the mind, and one can know with the heart. I can know who someone is, but I may never 'know' them in the sense that I hear them, I see them, and I am joined to them as they truly are. This is a spiritual knowledge.

"I never knew you" would mean you had no part in me.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And never, means never. Never were they part of me. They had their reward, which was their religion and their egos.

Jonathan Hoffman

"I never knew you" reminds me of the denial Peter made he pretended not to be a disciple of Jesus. I think Jesus says this because he will say this later when he denies these hypocrites the key to the Kingdom of Heaven on the Day of Judgment. I think Jesus is saying that those who profess to believe in him but fail to obey his commandments are hypocrites from whom he will turn his back on the Last Day.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"I never knew you" reminds me of the denial Peter made he pretended not to be a disciple of Jesus. I think Jesus says this because he will say this later when he denies these hypocrites the key to the Kingdom of Heaven on the Day of Judgment. I think Jesus is saying that those who profess to believe in him but fail to obey his commandments are hypocrites from whom he will turn his back on the Last Day.

That is the common perception of it.

That is not the 'Jesus' I know.

Luke 22:44 And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.

Who is he in anguish for? The lost sheep and the sinner. Surely he will never "turn his back" on anyone. He is not that kind of leader.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

A gentle and humble person never becomes a person who can say "I NEVER knew you. GET AWAY FROM ME".

Shuddhasattva

what is the koine Greek word used for "knew" and what is the Aramaic word used for "knew" and what do they mean contextually and by connotation?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There are different types of knowing. One can know with the mind, and one can know with the heart. I can know who someone is, but I may never 'know' them in the sense that I hear them, I see them, and I am joined to them as they truly are. This is a spiritual knowledge.

"I never knew you" would mean you had no part in me.

I believe you are right but the recorded words are backward. "You having no part in me" means THEY never knew him. That is how they were written so that is how most people read it. Like the next guy.

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
what is the koine Greek word used for "knew" and what is the Aramaic word used for "knew" and what do they mean contextually and by connotation?

I do not know. I know Jehoshua. He does not say things like "get away from me". That is what insolent people say.

Jonathan Hoffman

That is the common perception of it.

That is not the 'Jesus' I know.

Luke 22:44 And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.

Who is he in anguish for? The lost sheep and the sinner. Surely he will never "turn his back" on anyone. He is not that kind of leader.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

A gentle and humble person never becomes a person who can say "I NEVER knew you. GET AWAY FROM ME".

Like many of us, Jesus has different aspects to his personality. At times he is humble and forgiving. At other times he is angry and assertive ("I come not to bring peace but a sword").

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

OT "Knew" from Jeremiah 16:21
World English Bible
Therefore, behold, I will cause them to know, this once will I cause them to know my hand and my might; and they shall know that my name is Yahweh.

yada: to know
Original Word: יָדַע
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: yada
Phonetic Spelling: (yaw-dah')
Short Definition: know

Word Origin
a prim. root
Definition
to know
NASB Translation
ability (1), acknowledge (4), acknowledged (2), acquaintances (5), acquainted (1), aware (6), becomes known (1), bring forth (1), cared (1), chosen (2), clearly understand (2), cohabit (1), comprehend (1), concern (2), concerned (1), consider (3), declare (1), detected (1), directed (1), discern (2), disciplined (1), discovered (3), distinguish (1), endowed (3), experienced (4), experiences (1), familiar friend (1), find (5), found (1), gain (1), had knowledge (1), had relations (6), had...relations (1), has (1), has regard (1), has...knowledge (1), have (4), have relations (3), have...knowledge (2), ignorant* (1), illiterate* (1), indeed learn (1), inform (1), informed (4), instruct (3), instructed (1), intimate friends (1), investigate (2), knew (38), know (542), know for certain (4), know with certainty (1), know assuredly (1), know well (1), knowing (5), knowledge (4), known (65), knows (54), knows well (1), lain* (1), leading (1), learn (7), learned (1), literate* (1), made himself known (2), made it known (1), made myself known (2), made known (10), make himself known (1), make his known (1), make it known (1), make my known (1), make myself known (4), make them known (1), make your known (1), make yourself known (1), make known (14), notice (2), observe (2), perceive (1), perceived (1), possibly know (1), predict (1), professional mourners (1), provided (1), raped (1), read* (1), realize (1), realized (5), recognize (2), recognized (1), regard (1), satisfied* (1), seems (1), show (3), shown (1), skillful (3), sure (1), take knowledge (1), take note (1), take notice (1), taught (2), teach (6), tell (3), tells (1), took notice (1), unaware* (1), unawares* (1), understand (10), understands (1), understood (3), unknown* (1), very well know (1), well aware (1).

Shuddhasattva

Is that hebrew or aramaic? as the bible is greek, I think you should look there first.

interesting that you say you know yeshua though, is he to be known through the canonical gospels exclusively?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Greek from the NT

Word Origin
from a prim. root gnó-
Definition
to come to know, recognize, perceive
NASB Translation
ascertaining (1), aware (7), certainty (1), come to know (1), comprehend (1), felt (1), find (3), found (2), kept...a virgin* (1), knew (13), know (104), know how (1), knowing (3), known (25), knows (14), learn (1), learned (1), perceived (1), perceiving (2), put (1), realize (3), recognize (7), recognized (1), recognizing (1), sure (4), take notice (1), unaware* (2), understand (11), understood (6), virgin* (1).

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
how relevant is psalm 6:8? are we better off looking to the gnostic gospels rather than OT inheritance perhaps?

Depart from all that which does sin for YHWH has heard the sound of weeping.

It means that which causes sin should depart and it will.