• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does humanism mean to you?

gnostic

The Lost One
Humanism could mean different things to different people, so what does humanism mean to you, personally?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
gnostic said:
Humanism could mean different things to different people, so what does humanism mean to you, personally?
Just checking, did you mean to post this in "Discuss individual Religions" ? as it means only Secular (non-theist) humanists can answer........PM me if you want this in a general forum.:)

Zatarra

Dauphin
To me, Humanism can be summarized with a couple of quick sentences. Note that they're independent and each encapsulate the idea on their own.

“Since there are no gods to help us, we must help ourselves and each other.”

“Don't make up answers to hard questions and don't be a jerk.”

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I understand humanism as the belief that, whether there is a God or not, we ultimately have to figure morality out for ourselves, and that we have the tools to do so. This to me is a sacred duty.

Imagist

Worshipper of Athe.
Humanism, to me, means faith in humankind. While I view this as more realistic than theism, I prefer to call myself a naturalist. I see humans as having both positive and negative potential (and the whole range of greys in between). Having faith in humans is, in my opinion naive. It would be better, I think, to have faith in the laws of the natural universe. These, unlike humans, do not change - only our understanding of them does.

Of course lack of faith in humanity leaves us with a lot we don't know, for example in ethics. But that's the price we pay for internally consistent beliefs.

Last edited:

gnostic

The Lost One
My topic has been brought back from the dead. I have forgotten that I had posted this one up.

imagist said:
Humanism, to me, means faith in humankind. While I view this as more realistic than theism, I prefer to call myself a naturalist. I see humans as having both positive and negative potential (and the whole range of greys in between). Having faith in humans is, in my opinion naive. It would be better, I think, to have faith in the laws of the natural universe. These, unlike humans, do not change - only our understanding of them does.

Of course lack of faith in humanity leaves us with a lot we don't know, for example in ethics. But that's the price we pay for internally consistent beliefs.

Interesting post.

I would agree with you about having faith in humankind. And with the positive and negative potentials.

Last edited:

gnostic

The Lost One
storm said:
I understand humanism as the belief that, whether there is a God or not, we ultimately have to figure morality out for ourselves, and that we have the tools to do so. This to me is a sacred duty.

So do you think that humanism referred to or only means "morality"?

gnostic

The Lost One
storm said:
I think that's it's main purpose. Am I missing something, in your view?

No. I agree with you that humanism is devising morality from "human" level, instead of the so-called "divine" level.

But is that all "humanism" means to you?

For me, it is partly about morality and compassion towards fellow-man (and woman), and partly with gaining knowledge, through human experiences and the capacity to learn, and pushing the boundary to gain that knowledge and achievements, thereby elevating the human spirit to its zenith.

The Athenians did so with their Panthenon. Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo did so with their arts. Galileo, Newton and Einstein did so with science.

cottonflowers

Person With Questions
I have always considered humanism to mean that, whether God exists or doesn't (in the opinion of the individual humanist) He is unnecessary. Also, what another poster, Storm, said, that human beings need to figure out right and wrong for themselves (thus implying there is no set standard). Therefore, it would be incompatible with the standard interpretations of Christianity and Bible literalism, since many Christians believe God established the standards of morality, and didn't leave people to decide. While the parts about non-violence, respect for others and so forth mentioned by some people here are good and also can be accepted no matter what religion one is, isn't most humanism centered around secular philosophy, thus assuming there is no God(s)?

TheColourBlue

Here to learn and share
In my understanding, humanism means that we have a responsibility to one another, to care for one another, act ethically and with compassion, while thinking critically about the many differences we make to the world around us. It probably behooves us to make a positive difference whenever possible, and to leave the world a better place than it was when we entered it. :)

Diederick

Essentially, I strongly relate it to Humanitarianism.

Humanism, to me, is quite similar to what the dictionary says it to be (which would be the absolute role of a dictionary):
Nuon: Humanism
1. The doctrine that people's duty is to promote human welfare
2. The doctrine emphasizing a person's capacity for self-realization through reason; rejects religion and the supernatural

I suppose I ascribe Humanism as a logic result of natural Altruism, with the addition that we, higher mammals, are capable of rational thinking and will either supplement or lower Humanism - accounting for people who are more good and people who are more evil.

Humanism to me is my purpose of creating, assisting or at least supporting a world that is more pleasant (or less unpleasant) for other people to live in. My purpose is to help push this world, along with all other good people, onward in the direction of what can be considered best from an Altruistic point of view. Give the world as much extra momentum I can to maybe make it last that little bit longer, or let it be just that little bit better for all people.

DarkMaster24

Appreciating this life the most, acknowledging that there is no afterlife, helping people, believing humans evolved, rejecting god and other supernatural concepts, ect.