• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think of...

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
You might want to watch this then, think that would be very helpful :)
Already knew about all that flap decades ago. I think James Randi is a fraud that debunks when he can and makes it up when he can't. I am certain from controlled testing that Uri Geller has real telekinetic powers. I do not take seriously the media flap doodles like Randi.

Nimos

Already knew about all that flap decades ago. I think James Randi is a fraud that debunks when he can and makes it up when he can't. I am certain from controlled testing that Uri Geller has real telekinetic powers. I do not take seriously the media flap doodles like Randi.
How is James Randi a fraud, his doesn't claim to be anything but a magician? That Uri Geller was shown to not being able to do as he claim on live TV, you don't find that strange? So he claim to have special powers, yet people which do not claim to have them, but is perfectly capable of replicating what he does are frauds and yet you find it more plausible that he had these powers rather than it being a well known trick within the industry?

Wouldn't it have been far more amazing, if James Randi had said, "So we replaced the spoons and kept Uri Geller and his crew away from them, and yet he was still able to bend them.", at least to me that would have been far more interesting when James Randi is actively working to uncover people from making these false claims, but the mere fact that the moment Uri Geller is put to the test under a more controlled environment he instantly fails?

George-ananda

Premium Member
How is James Randi a fraud, his doesn't claim to be anything but a magician?
He will claim to have debunked things he didn't really debunk.
That Uri Geller was shown to not being able to do as he claim on live TV, you don't find that strange?
He performed on TV many, many times. If there were times when his mental focus wasn't there that would still be consistent with a real psychic performer.
So he claim to have special powers, yet people which do not claim to have them, but is perfectly capable of replicating what he does are frauds and yet you find it more plausible that he had these powers rather than it being a well known trick within the industry?
Then let us see these imitators perform under the controlled conditions Geller has performed under as in the quotes above.
Wouldn't it have been far more amazing, if James Randi had said, "So we replaced the spoons and kept Uri Geller and his crew away from them, and yet he was still able to bend them.", at least to me that would have been far more interesting when James Randi is actively working to uncover people from making these false claims, but the mere fact that the moment Uri Geller is put to the test under a more controlled environment he instantly fails?
I tested Uri myself under laboratory-controlled conditions and saw with my own eyes the bending of a key which was not touched by Geller at any time. There was a group of people present during the experiment who all witnessed the key bending in eleven seconds to an angle of thirty degrees. Afterwards we tested the key in a scientific laboratory using devices such as electron microscopes and X-rays and found that there was no chemical, manual or mechanical forces involved in the bending of the key.”
Professor Helmut Hoffmann (Department of Electrical Engineering, Technical University of Vienna, Austria)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
In Advaita philosophy the universe is likened to a play/drama of Brahman in which in Act I It separates itself from itself and in Act II it returns itself to itself.
Why? to experience the joy from finiteness to infiniteness.
As an analogy: Why do humans create art with no practical purpose. TO EXPERIENCE!! Aren’t you having fun now?
Why would Brahman, need to play this game? My position is that it happens just by its existence and lasts till Brahman is in its it existant form (and does not go into its non-existent phase). Why create something and then separate from it? Does Brahman have brain, desires? Humans, animals, vegetation, or even non living objects (there is no distinct separating line, one merges into the other), they are a different case, all afflicted by a disease known as 'maya'.

I do not deny your or other positions. As you know Advaita comes in many shades. The choice is yours (or mine). :)

George-ananda

Premium Member
Why does Brahman need to be creative? You ascribe attributes to him of your own choice. :)
Who says 'need'. The nature of Brahman in Advaita philosophy comes from the insights of the rishis and sages of the tradition (not choices but direct insight and inspiration).