• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Do YOU Think Of When You Hear, Read, or Say the word; "God"?

InChrist

Free4ever
Do you think of some magical being that someone else told you about?

Do you think of some magical being that you have experienced, for yourself?

Do you think of a magical being that that you want to believe is real but don't know?

Do you think of some magical being that you just can't accept as being real?

Do you think of some non-magical force that is responsible for the physical universe?

Do you ignore the word so you don't have to think about it?
When I hear, read or think about the word or title God, I think of the One who created heaven and earth…

For thus says the Lord,
Who created the heavens,
Who is God,
Who formed the earth and made it,
Who has established it,
Who did not create it in vain,
Who formed it to be inhabited:
“I am the Lord, and there is no other.

Isaiah 45:18

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

Do you think of a magical being that that you want to believe is real but don't know?

Do you think of some non-magical force that is responsible for the physical universe?

I think of some non-magical being (not a force) that is responsible for the physical universe and much more.

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
In as much that we first learn of God(s) from others as children this must be the first example, and when looking into such matters later we will learn as to many different descriptions and attributes for any of these. And mostly being of the monotheistic variety but where some seem to believe in multiple gods. I could make up my own version of course but I see no value in this.
Never seem to have experienced anything so as to form this impression.
I'd rather just accept what is true, so no preference either way.
Mostly not - since it appears to me that existence doesn't require such..
Again, mostly not - but then I don't have sufficient knowledge to make such an assessment so I leave that open.
Given the above, and the likelihood of me making any progress towards better understanding, not that relevant any more. :oops:

Last edited:

danieldemol

Premium Member
Yes
No
Yes
No
No
WTF?! HELL NO!

HonestJoe

In most contexts I hear the word, I think of it as the mild swearword it's typically being used as. Where it's being used to describe an actual divine being or beings, I will tend to think of whatever the person using it is describing (directly or indirectly).

It's almost as if "god" is just another word. :cool:

Tamino

Several of those creep around in the background of my mental landscape if the "god" keyword is activated, yes
Yes, several, but we may have to define the word "magical"
I am reasonably sure that the sun and earth exist.
Do you think of some magical being that you just can't accept as being real
No
Kind of yes, but properly defining "responsible" and "magical" in this context would require a mid-size essay on Egyptian theology.
No

But mostly, since I tend to favor images over auditory impressions in my mind, when I hear "god", my brain translates it to:
1000017809.png

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member

No to all the questions except "Do you think of some non-magical force that is responsible for the physical universe?" where my answer is Yes!

s.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
When I think of "God", I don't think of a being or a force. To me, it's a word describing a mystical state experience of oneness and joyful ecstacy that one may experience for themselves. As a polytheist, I don't recognize some Abrahamic-like supreme personal creator god. Odin is the chief deity and closest to "God" in my religion (as he gives form to the universe, created humanity and gives life to us all), but it's not the same as in the Abrahamic religions at all. Also, deities have names and "god" is not a name and really says nothing at all in of itself about what the person is referring to. Which god?

Echogem222

Depends.
I haven't, so no.
No.
No, I can accept a god as being real, just not as the creator of everything, but I currently lack enough reason to believe a god exists.
No.
I don't think I've ever done that before.

I'm an atheist Flawlessist, so my current understanding of things is that Gods/Goddesses/etc. could exist, but they wouldn't be the cause of everything, they would instead be like us but more powerful and existing in unique circumstances that limits what they can do for us.

If you don't know what an atheist Flawlessist is, it's someone who believes in the atheist sect of the Religion Flawlessism.