• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think? Homosexual descrimination church/school

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Do you think this is good or is it more descrimination?

This makes me so mad; and, I wish the government would stop making "colored bathrooms".

http://www.gaychurch.org

Even more so, Atlanta Georgia is opening a new homosexual and transgender school. They feel GBLTQQIAA (as so the letters keep growing) individuas will succeed in a environment with people "like themselves." Reminds me of reading and reviewing someone's story on Writing.com. She's a mother of her gay son. Before her son reached the age of question, she already assumed he was gay. It was a true story; and I told her I understood where she comes from (but so many like others), it would be inappropriate to assume someone is of one orientation when you may be surprised he is another (or just a straight feminie male). Who knows?

http://atlantadailyworld.com/2016/0...-pride-school-for-lgbt-students-in-the-south/

This is the school they are talking about. It's surprising it's in Georgia. However, I've only been on the Bible Belt side. I know they must be in an uproar.

I understand the idea but I disagree with it for a couple of reasons

A. It's segregation schooling. (Just as you had the white school and the black school). That's how children grow up in isolated mindsets is that they are told they are different than others.

B. Age: This is for kindergarden to teenagers. So they are basically instilling in a Kindergarden's head who "looks" or "acts" gay, that he should be in this school. Instead of letting that child grow in a healthy home enviornment; and accepting who he is or if he is

It's just plain sad. I didn't know if I should have put this in political or religious because it's both.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
B. Age: This is for kindergarden to teenagers. So they are basically instilling in a Kindergarden's head who "looks" or "acts" gay, that he should be in this school. Instead of letting that child grow in a healthy home environment; and accepting who he is or if he is.
:facepalm:
It certainly is unbelievable. I would like to figure out what kind of people are able to think such hideous things. Childhood, adolescence are delicate growth phases, and categorizing children at a very young age (and ghettoizing them) is monstrous.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
:facepalm:
It certainly is unbelievable. I would like to figure out what kind of people are able to think such hideous things. Childhood, adolescence are delicate growth phases, and categorizing children at a very young age (and ghettoizing them) is monstrous.

My thoughts exactly. I got this from my Christian co-worker, and, as a lesbian, I was surprised we were equally shocked. I dont even know what to say.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Not sure honestly. this is a tricky idea and very much represents trying to create "islands" of tolerance without dealing with the ocean of bigoty. it is a short-term solution to a long term problem, so its doesn't "fit".

And I agree. this is very sad. :(

I'm surprised that would be the solution at all. The closest I'd give is sex education; but to a kindgardner? Plus, there are still Christian values, so any sex education would be all heterosexual. I mean, here, VA is still southern, but we relaxed a bit (outside of specific Churches)

Id ask parents in their late elementary or early junior teen (cant remember) years if they wanted their child educationed in X. That, and boys and girls had seperate classes. Now I think of my ehem, experiences, I should have hung out with the boys. :D

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I can see ensuring individual seat bathrooms and generally allowing privacy, but separate schools... no, I don't like that. At all.

Laika

Premium Member
I'm surprised that would be the solution at all. The closest I'd give is sex education; but to a kindgardner? Plus, there are still Christian values, so any sex education would be all heterosexual. I mean, here, VA is still southern, but we relaxed a bit (outside of specific Churches)

Id ask parents in their late elementary or early junior teen (cant remember) years if they wanted their child educationed in X. That, and boys and girls had seperate classes. Now I think of my ehem, experiences, I should have hung out with the boys. :D

I read the article (second link), and this is what stood out;

Nearly 9 in 10 LGBT students report experiencing harassment within the last school year, according to GLAAD, and three in 10 report missing a class because they felt unsafe, according to gay rights group Georgia Equality.

I think you could argue this is a safety thing.

I had a look, and this is a "k-12 institution" which means it goes from year 1 upto year 12. I'm not american so I had to check what it meant. it would make sense if you had kindgarden kids who were children of gay couples who may get bullied. but LGBT would seem to more logically be a secondary school thing.

this is unless we take into account the effect sex-negative and repressive messages (particuarly religious) can have on young kids. I'm guessing here but I was surprised by alot of the taboos I learned from primary school (which had a "christian ethos") did have an effect on my adult sexuality as I started to come out. the idea that lust was taboo was an idea I had already heard about and did have an effect later on. i.e. the damage is already done before kids even know about the "birds and the bees" as they have been told to feel a certain way. we are just so used to treating sex as taboo. kids aren't asexual, rather sexuality is "invisible" or dormant till you get to adolescence. ask dr. freud. ;)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I read the article (second link), and this is what stood out;

Nearly 9 in 10 LGBT students report experiencing harassment within the last school year, according to GLAAD, and three in 10 report missing a class because they felt unsafe, according to gay rights group Georgia Equality.

I think you could argue this is a safety thing.

I had a look, and this is a "k-12 institution" which means it goes from year 1 upto year 12. I'm not american so I had to check what it meant. it would make sense if you had kindgarden kids who were children of gay couples who may get bullied. but LGBT would seem to more logically be a secondary school thing.

this is unless we take into account the effect sex-negative and repressive messages (particuarly religious) can have on young kids. I'm guessing here but I was surprised by alot of the taboos I learned from primary school (which had a "christian ethos") did have an effect on my adult sexuality as I started to come out. the idea that lust was taboo was an idea I had already heard about and did have an effect later on. i.e. the damage is already done before kids even know about the "birds and the bees" as they have been told to feel a certain way. we are just so used to treating sex as taboo. kids aren't asexual, rather sexuality is "invisible" or dormant till you get to adolescence. ask dr. freud. ;)

True. Nice observation. It's mostly leaning towards safety rather than orientation. Over here we have seperate schools who are unruley to where "detention" just wouldn't cut it. However the age and what they did, they are still human. During school hours, students cant go on Mall (Shopping center) property because of what their peers done. So if student X didn't need to go to school for legitimate reasons he/she can't go on the property because of his peers.

Alot of age descrimination covered up by "we are giving them better education" or "these students-all--are acting this way all because they made into that school" while half of them are probably getting good grades but wrapped up in the wrong crowd.

With the homosexual school, thing, if would be more appropriate if they (as other articles-probably reliigous viewed--say) mentioned safety not homosexuality at all. As I know personally, I never gone through homosexual harrassment. I do live in a little more diverse area before moving where I live now where one mention of homosexuality will make you pushed to confession, repentence, or scriptures.

It's really unhealthy to separate students like that. I'm hoping it's not just homosexual (or who they claim homosexual) students but any student that are harrassed for any reason not just on sexual orientation.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I can see ensuring individual seat bathrooms and generally allowing privacy, but separate schools... no, I don't like that. At all.

True. How would that work out. I don't know about trangender. However, if one has an operation, can that person actually use the restroom as their opposite gender (according to others) would? Would the operation make one able to use the restroom as their opposite sex?

Laika

Premium Member
True. Nice observation. It's mostly leaning towards safety rather than orientation. Over here we have seperate schools who are unruley to where "detention" just wouldn't cut it. However the age and what they did, they are still human. During school hours, students cant go on Mall (Shopping center) property because of what their peers done. So if student X didn't need to go to school for legitimate reasons he/she can't go on the property because of his peers.

Alot of age descrimination covered up by "we are giving them better education" or "these students-all--are acting this way all because they made into that school" while half of them are probably getting good grades but wrapped up in the wrong crowd.

With the homosexual school, thing, if would be more appropriate if they (as other articles-probably reliigous viewed--say) mentioned safety not homosexuality at all. As I know personally, I never gone through homosexual harrassment. I do live in a little more diverse area before moving where I live now where one mention of homosexuality will make you pushed to confession, repentence, or scriptures.

It's really unhealthy to separate students like that. I'm hoping it's not just homosexual (or who they claim homosexual) students but any student that are harrassed for any reason not just on sexual orientation.

we have to keep in mind that the struggles with sexual orientation mean that LGBTQs are disproportionately affected with mental health issues and prone to depression and suicide. that is the measure of just how powerful these social norms are in forming behaviour. it is a radical solution, but trying to cut out the sexually repressive norms of society and being around people who are aware of and understand them may have mental health benifits for the students who start there.

sex isn't simply about who you sleep with, but forms many aspects of your personality. the view that "abstinance" is a normal behaviour for adolescents is probably a source for much neurotic behaviour, sexual misery and unfulfillment. this may be an attempt to create a "sex-positive" culture in a school.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
True. How would that work out. I don't know about trangender. However, if one has an operation, can that person actually use the restroom as their opposite gender (according to others) would? Would the operation make one able to use the restroom as their opposite sex?
Transgenders don't always operate, and many use hormonal therapy besides or instead of surgery.

In any case, I think it is proper to simply allow for both cases.

A transgender may or may not feel confortable using collective restrooms designed for the gender they feel identified with. Even if he or she feels confortable, there may well be a preference for privacy, not necessarily out of concerns of possible bullying.

It is my opinion that collective restrooms should be kept out of volume concerns, but most places should make an effort to offer individual, gender neutral restrooms as well. I have seem some that double as physically disadvantaged people's restrooms and I think that is a very ellegant solution for both concerns.

Skwim

Veteran Member
It almost seems like running away from the issue. Instead of having a chance to educate homophobes, potential or otherwise, that mistreatment of LGBTs is wrong, in a sense the school is removing the focus of the problem. Remove all the LGBT students and no more discrimination can take place. I recognize that LGBT students would likely feel more welcome in a LGBT-only school, but separating them from mainstream school society only reinforces the US and THEM dichotomy rather than fostering a more healthy WE acceptance.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
we have to keep in mind that the struggles with sexual orientation mean that LGBTQs are disproportionately affected with mental health issues and prone to depression and suicide. that is the measure of just how powerful these social norms are in forming behaviour. it is a radical solution, but trying to cut out the sexually repressive norms of society and being around people who are aware of and understand them may have mental health benifits for the students who start there.

sex isn't simply about who you sleep with, but forms many aspects of your personality. the view that "abstinance" is a normal behaviour for adolescents is probably a source for much neurotic behaviour, sexual misery and unfulfillment. this may be an attempt to create a "sex-positive" culture in a school.

I can see that. I still have off feelings about it. Then, again, of course, I never had that sort of harrassment based on sexual orientation. In Georiga, I can't imagine all of the mess kids go through because of religious bias.

ThirtyThree

Being transgender myself, (I mainly identify as male, live as masculine but tend to prefer being called "it" or "they" over much else), this settles strangely with me. I am not certain how well islands of tolerance shows actual tolerance. It might be better just to properly discipline the youth who discriminate and fine their families. No, honestly. I think parents have a lot to do with why many youth act the way they do, especially those of religious extremist views. Fine the parents or even take the youth away from those parents if it comes down to it. Discrimination on the basis or race, sexual orientation or gender association is not acceptable in my eye.

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate
I'm appalled. This "gay liberation" thing is getting out of control; has gotten out of control. The Lobby started out wanting what I wanted: Equal Protection Under The Law. In other words, I wanted equal treatment. Not preferential treatment. This is gotten ludicrous.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I'm appalled. This "gay liberation" thing is getting out of control; has gotten out of control. The Lobby started out wanting what I wanted: Equal Protection Under The Law. In other words, I wanted equal treatment. Not preferential treatment. This is gotten ludicrous.
What are the students getting they wouldn't get if they stayed in public schools? From what I've read it only amounts to a lack of bullying and derision because of their LGBT status. :shrug:

Lighthouse

This makes me so mad; and, I wish the government would stop making "colored bathrooms".

http://www.gaychurch.org

Even more so, Atlanta Georgia is opening a new homosexual and transgender school. They feel GBLTQQIAA (as so the letters keep growing) individuas will succeed in a environment with people "like themselves." Reminds me of reading and reviewing someone's story on Writing.com. She's a mother of her gay son. Before her son reached the age of question, she already assumed he was gay. It was a true story; and I told her I understood where she comes from (but so many like others), it would be inappropriate to assume someone is of one orientation when you may be surprised he is another (or just a straight feminie male). Who knows?

http://atlantadailyworld.com/2016/0...-pride-school-for-lgbt-students-in-the-south/

This is the school they are talking about. It's surprising it's in Georgia. However, I've only been on the Bible Belt side. I know they must be in an uproar.

I understand the idea but I disagree with it for a couple of reasons

A. It's segregation schooling. (Just as you had the white school and the black school). That's how children grow up in isolated mindsets is that they are told they are different than others.

B. Age: This is for kindergarden to teenagers. So they are basically instilling in a Kindergarden's head who "looks" or "acts" gay, that he should be in this school. Instead of letting that child grow in a healthy home enviornment; and accepting who he is or if he is

It's just plain sad. I didn't know if I should have put this in political or religious because it's both.

I'm all for intermingling different cultures, different backgrounds, different types of people in harmless ways. Don't really care much for any segregation with race, culture, or sexuality.

With that being said, my child is in upper elementary school and has been raised to respect any other child or person. She thought it was weird seeing two adult women holding hands somewhere we were. I had to explain to her that people being different than her is fine and to respect people as they are.

Excluding religion or bible belts influencing youths, I think that in general it's a part of immaturity and growing up with most youths. They are already very segregated, especially in high schools with different social classes/cliques/and groups. Anyone that isn't like them or in minority will raise some emotions. . especially with youths. This may just segregate others a little more and raise even more isolation in that area.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What are the students getting they wouldn't get if they stayed in public schools? From what I've read it only amounts to a lack of bullying and derision because of their LGBT status. :shrug:
One of the main reasons for having public education in the first place, particularly at the youngest ages, is to teach socialization and mutual acceptance.

Segregating by sexual profile is perhaps necessary at this point, but it will always have a downside.

Lighthouse

One of the main reasons for having public education in the first place, particularly at the youngest ages, is to teach socialization and mutual acceptance.

Segregating by sexual profile is perhaps necessary at this point, but it will always have a downside.

Why do you think it's necessary at this point?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Why do you think it's necessary at this point?
I hope it is not.

But it is conceivable that some people may simply be too hostile at this moment in time and end up teaching their kids to be abusive towards LGBT in school.

Those things build a critical mass rather quickly, as I learned since the 2008 controversy about California's Proposition 8. But were it to come to my own personal decision about how my child might fare... well, I just don't know if I would be willing to run that risk as of now.