• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think? Homosexual descrimination church/school

JoStories

I read the article (second link), and this is what stood out;

Nearly 9 in 10 LGBT students report experiencing harassment within the last school year, according to GLAAD, and three in 10 report missing a class because they felt unsafe, according to gay rights group Georgia Equality.

I think you could argue this is a safety thing.

I had a look, and this is a "k-12 institution" which means it goes from year 1 upto year 12. I'm not american so I had to check what it meant. it would make sense if you had kindgarden kids who were children of gay couples who may get bullied. but LGBT would seem to more logically be a secondary school thing.

this is unless we take into account the effect sex-negative and repressive messages (particuarly religious) can have on young kids. I'm guessing here but I was surprised by alot of the taboos I learned from primary school (which had a "christian ethos") did have an effect on my adult sexuality as I started to come out. the idea that lust was taboo was an idea I had already heard about and did have an effect later on. i.e. the damage is already done before kids even know about the "birds and the bees" as they have been told to feel a certain way. we are just so used to treating sex as taboo. kids aren't asexual, rather sexuality is "invisible" or dormant till you get to adolescence. ask dr. freud. ;)
Interesting. But don't you think that isolating, or rather, separating one group from another is not the answer either? It tells me that the mindset of bullying is being supported and instead of combating bullying head on where it begins, we remove the targets from the bullies purview. IMO, this is a back handed way of endorsing those bullies, saying gays, such as me, are different and must be kept away from the normal kids.

JoStories

we have to keep in mind that the struggles with sexual orientation mean that LGBTQs are disproportionately affected with mental health issues and prone to depression and suicide. that is the measure of just how powerful these social norms are in forming behaviour. it is a radical solution, but trying to cut out the sexually repressive norms of society and being around people who are aware of and understand them may have mental health benifits for the students who start there.

sex isn't simply about who you sleep with, but forms many aspects of your personality. the view that "abstinance" is a normal behaviour for adolescents is probably a source for much neurotic behaviour, sexual misery and unfulfillment. this may be an attempt to create a "sex-positive" culture in a school.
Perhaps yes, perhaps no. It endorses the idea that gays are different. That they have something they must come to terms with and that makes them unlike other people. How is that going to help them? What needs to be done are two things, IMO, stop the damn bullies and change the Christian mindset that is influencing our public and private educational institutions. When people just accept gays as people no different than themselves and Christians stop spreading the claptrap about gays being abominations, maybe then you and I can live in peace.

JoStories

I would not blame parents for wanting to send LGBTQIA kids to a school that completely supports and accepts them, where the kids can meet others like themselves. In an ideal world, they would not need to have a school like that...but let's be real here. Too many kids kill themselves and/or are victims of major bullying for being LGBTQIA.
I strongly disagree. It may seem to support kids but sexuality does not develop until puberty. Furthermore, separating kids who a seen as 'different' only serves to enhance the idea that they are different. Thereby creating an Us V Them mindset that is divisive. Not a good thing. The problem here that needs to be addressed is stopping bullies. I was bullied in high school. Because I came from a poor family, because I am Bisexual and because I have a high IQ. The problem here is not separating people into camps that smack of internment camps but rather addressing the social mores that lead to people not only believing that it is just dandy to bully but to endorse a mindset that anyone different from the 'white middle class, average IQ and hetero Christian' is not acceptable in today's society, and is fair game for abuse and bullying. THAT is the problem.

Laika

Premium Member
Interesting. But don't you think that isolating, or rather, separating one group from another is not the answer either? It tells me that the mindset of bullying is being supported and instead of combating bullying head on where it begins, we remove the targets from the bullies purview. IMO, this is a back handed way of endorsing those bullies, saying gays, such as me, are different and must be kept away from the normal kids.

it does admit the difference involved. This is only a short-term answer to a much bigger and longer term problem. In debates concerning free speech and political correctness, it is clear that we cannot enforce a view which condemns homophobia, only gain support for that position. the bullying is an inescapable reality of living amongst people who have homophobic views. you have to find a way to change these views in the long term without denying them freedom of expression. inevitably that means that enforcing anti-homophobia is on the defensive. Its far from an ideal solution but I hope it will help the handful of people who go through its door.

Perhaps yes, perhaps no. It endorses the idea that gays are different. That they have something they must come to terms with and that makes them unlike other people. How is that going to help them? What needs to be done are two things, IMO, stop the damn bullies and change the Christian mindset that is influencing our public and private educational institutions. When people just accept gays as people no different than themselves and Christians stop spreading the claptrap about gays being abominations, maybe then you and I can live in peace.

because it means "coming out" and refusing to accept they should be bound by the norms of a hetrosexual society. it is their freedom to be LGBTQ, and whilst they are different that is not the same as saying it is wrong. I agree the bullying needs to be stopped but we cannot coerce people into accepting gays. greater cultural changes need to take place within the existing norms of society. the problem is if such a society is intrinsically homophobic because it i not simply a view but a product of an institution such as the family, it necessitates the definition of "correct" or "normal" sexual behaviour as being based on procreation and therefore hetrosexual. you then stop talking about sexual liberation and head into territory better understood as a sexual revolution against socially conservative norms.

ThirtyThree

I'm appalled. This "gay liberation" thing is getting out of control; has gotten out of control. The Lobby started out wanting what I wanted: Equal Protection Under The Law. In other words, I wanted equal treatment. Not preferential treatment. This is gotten ludicrous.
The same thing happened with the race issue. If you are black, you may be proud of being black and not be called a racist. You may only wish to marry a black person and you may live in an all black neighborhood, without being called racist. You may have "black power" organizations, and you are not called racist. You may even go to a special college for free, and that is not racist. If someone Caucasian did any of that, they are called racist.

MARCELLO

Transitioning from male to female
Yes,they did that. It was terrible. No words can describe what I felt at those times.

MARCELLO

Transitioning from male to female
it does admit the difference involved. This is only a short-term answer to a much bigger and longer term problem. In debates concerning free speech and political correctness, it is clear that we cannot enforce a view which condemns homophobia, only gain support for that position. the bullying is an inescapable reality of living amongst people who have homophobic views. you have to find a way to change these views in the long term without denying them freedom of expression. inevitably that means that enforcing anti-homophobia is on the defensive. Its far from an ideal solution but I hope it will help the handful of people who go through its door.

because it means "coming out" and refusing to accept they should be bound by the norms of a hetrosexual society. it is their freedom to be LGBTQ, and whilst they are different that is not the same as saying it is wrong. I agree the bullying needs to be stopped but we cannot coerce people into accepting gays. greater cultural changes need to take place within the existing norms of society. the problem is if such a society is intrinsically homophobic because it i not simply a view but a product of an institution such as the family, it necessitates the definition of "correct" or "normal" sexual behaviour as being based on procreation and therefore hetrosexual. you then stop talking about sexual liberation and head into territory better understood as a sexual revolution against socially conservative norms.

Have you ever been bullied because of your sexual orientation at school in 80's ? Do you know how it feels like? Do you know what happened to me when I came out to my family full of medicine records,full of doctors? It still hurts . And it will hurt for ever,I cannot forget it. Never.

Being normal? This was the questionI was asked by my family for a couple of years everyday,every second.... Dad had no problem with me wearing fishnet tops along with stone washed leather tight pants,as long as I sleep with girls. He also had no problem with his alcoholic brother who was frequently found drunk and almost frozen on the street;it was normal...But I was not normal . What I was doing not normal in his standards was to like boys. I still remember the latin medical books I had found on my desk;advising me how I was to be wrong forever,the gifts coming from lovely dad. ....

Do you know what happened to me when I wrote '' no woman no cry'' of Bob Marley on the wall of my bedroom of 12 sqm? Dad hit my face (bleeding) and proudly announced I was wicked. An atheist dad saying something like that. Funny?

I am from Croatia,these things never happen again there,half of my cousins are gay now and it is no more an issue. But I suffered a lot. For what? for nothing.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
It also creates a mark of otherness, decreases exposure and interaction, and reinforces "them." It's not addressing the problem but rather they are trying to sweep it under a rug and not deal with it. There is also the potential for increased bullying in an attempt to "get rid" of certain students.
Support and change must occur from within - it will never happen if the solution is nothing more than simply sending it away.

Oh of course. But I keep thinking of those teens who end up killing themselves as a result of severe bullying due to their sexuality or gender identity. Gay kids getting bashed up is still a thing, which is sad.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I would agree that gender identity occurs from an age that is mostly (but not always) between 8-14.

However they often enter these schools before they develop any.

Also there are females than act masculine in some ways but are still overall feminine.

Too true. Then you get people who are genderqueer or genderfluid and never knew it. *cough*

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
These schools promote isolation and sexual orientation identification at a very young age.

It might result in isolation, but I do not think that is the intention. You cannot force kids to identify sexuality or gender identity at any age. People have to come to these realizations themselves. I did not know I was gay until I was about 26, and have recently come to realise that I am genderfluid.

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate
Have you ever been bullied because of your sexual orientation at school in 80's ? Do you know how it feels like? Do you know what happened to me when I came out to my family full of medicine records,full of doctors? It still hurts . And it will hurt for ever,I cannot forget it. Never.

Being normal? This was the questionI was asked by my family for a couple of years everyday,every second.... Dad had no problem with me wearing fishnet tops along with stone washed leather tight pants,as long as I sleep with girls. He also had no problem with his alcoholic brother who was frequently found drunk and almost frozen on the street;it was normal...But I was not normal . What I was doing not normal in his standards was to like boys. I still remember the latin medical books I had found on my desk;advising me how I was to be wrong forever,the gifts coming from lovely dad. ....

Do you know what happened to me when I wrote '' no woman no cry'' of Bob Marley on the wall of my bedroom of 12 sqm? Dad hit my face (bleeding) and proudly announced I was wicked. An atheist dad saying something like that. Funny?

I am from Croatia,these things never happen again there,half of my cousins are gay now and it is no more an issue. But I suffered a lot. For what? for nothing.

I am sorry for what you went through. Truly, I am. Stories like yours make me cringe at many members of the gay lobby who consider idle words as "gay bashing". They have forgotten what the older generations went through But separating us from the rest of the world is not going to solve these issues. In fact, I submit that it will aggravate these issues.

Yes but we should focus on reducing that in public schools instead of isolation.

Exactly! The plight of gay teens in public schools is what gave rise to "Gay/Straight Alliance" and many anti-bullying campaigns. To isolate us from others, I suspect, would only serve to further the idea that we are somehow defective; thus must be kept separate from others lest we contaminate them.

That is what people have been saying for years, but nothing ever happens to reduce it. Especially when you get teachers that are anti LGBTQIA as well.

This is not true. Yes, there still exists incidents of violence (emotional and physical) against gays. But when these happen, at least here in the States, it most often becomes front page news and makes its way to lawmakers who discuss it in chambers. In the past, we suffered in silence. In the past, our straight friends were often intimidated and driven away from us from the bullying. But today, more often than in our day, straight friends of the bullied draw a circle of protection around them. Things have changed.

It might result in isolation, but I do not think that is the intention. You cannot force kids to identify sexuality or gender identity at any age. People have to come to these realizations themselves. I did not know I was gay until I was about 26, and have recently come to realise that I am genderfluid.

If you did not realize you were gay until you were about 26, how can you expect the authority figures to figure that out for them? How many kids will be labeled "gay" and thrown into these schools, convinced by this action and by those aroud them that they are gay when in fact they are not? How many kids will be labeled as "straight" compelled to attend the "normal" schools, convinced by this action any d those around them that they are straight when in fact they are not?

None except the person should ever hold the power to decide what they truly are. These schools are an affront to that basic human right of self-identity.

Which brings a very important point that I don't see addressed: By what criteria do the "powers that be" determine who is gay and who is straight to begin with!?

Shad

Veteran Member
Do you think this is good or is it more descrimination?

This makes me so mad; and, I wish the government would stop making "colored bathrooms".

http://www.gaychurch.org

Even more so, Atlanta Georgia is opening a new homosexual and transgender school. They feel GBLTQQIAA (as so the letters keep growing) individuas will succeed in a environment with people "like themselves." Reminds me of reading and reviewing someone's story on Writing.com. She's a mother of her gay son. Before her son reached the age of question, she already assumed he was gay. It was a true story; and I told her I understood where she comes from (but so many like others), it would be inappropriate to assume someone is of one orientation when you may be surprised he is another (or just a straight feminie male). Who knows?

http://atlantadailyworld.com/2016/0...-pride-school-for-lgbt-students-in-the-south/

This is the school they are talking about. It's surprising it's in Georgia. However, I've only been on the Bible Belt side. I know they must be in an uproar.

I understand the idea but I disagree with it for a couple of reasons

A. It's segregation schooling. (Just as you had the white school and the black school). That's how children grow up in isolated mindsets is that they are told they are different than others.

B. Age: This is for kindergarden to teenagers. So they are basically instilling in a Kindergarden's head who "looks" or "acts" gay, that he should be in this school. Instead of letting that child grow in a healthy home enviornment; and accepting who he is or if he is

It's just plain sad. I didn't know if I should have put this in political or religious because it's both.

It is segregation of the victims due to people being unable to get over their bigotry, the oppressors. Rather than confront the bigots they remove the target of their bigotry. Better to expel the bigoted students and fire bigoted teachers than to ignore the issues of their bigotry. This will teach them that their views are not tolerated, it their problem and they had to deal with the consequences of their views.

JoStories

Regarding your first paragraph, I agree that we have no right to silence the voice of those who think being gay is wrong. They do have the right to freedom of expression. However, that being said, how is enduring this erroneous mindset, which then leads to the children of these blowhards being bullies, help anyone? What this boils down to , IMO, is allowing the white Christian majority to continue to dictate what is acceptable and what is now based on a book written by men. So long as our country is a veiled theocracy, gays have no means of ever being accepted into the mainstream.

Regarding the second paragraph, You say right of the bat that LGBTQ are 'different', which IMO, makes me think that subconsciously even you consider those like me as second class or lower than the straights. How are we different? Because we love those of the same sex? To me, this intimates that even you consider gays, etc, as second class citizens. It is my view that as long as the Christian right gets to set the norm on what is wrong and what is acceptable or right, those who are different will never get a fair shake.

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate
It is a sad truth that the gay must accept that anti-gay sentiment exists and live with it. We live in a country where we have gay legislators; so no, I don't agree that gays in the United States "will never get a fair shake". I am not saying that there is not intolerance and discrimination against us. What I am saying is ... Keep it in perspective.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
This is not true. Yes, there still exists incidents of violence (emotional and physical) against gays. But when these happen, at least here in the States, it most often becomes front page news and makes its way to lawmakers who discuss it in chambers. In the past, we suffered in silence. In the past, our straight friends were often intimidated and driven away from us from the bullying. But today, more often than in our day, straight friends of the bullied draw a circle of protection around them. Things have changed.

I remember being called to the deputy principles office in year 11 because she found a note my friend had written me (who was very popular with the teachers) and thought I was trying to turn my friend into a lesbian. She really didnt like me after that. I am willing to bet it still happens here in public schools, our public school system is pretty terrible anyway. Way way worse in private schools. My sister is bisexual and attending a catholic school, she has to keep her sexuality a complete secret.

If you did not realize you were gay until you were about 26, how can you expect the authority figures to figure that out for them? How many kids will be labeled "gay" and thrown into these schools, convinced by this action and by those aroud them that they are gay when in fact they are not? How many kids will be labeled as "straight" compelled to attend the "normal" schools, convinced by this action any d those around them that they are straight when in fact they are not?

None except the person should ever hold the power to decide what they truly are. These schools are an affront to that basic human right of self-identity.
Which brings a very important point that I don't see addressed: By what criteria do the "powers that be" determine who is gay and who is straight to begin with!?

I am not saying that anyone should have the power to determine the sexuality or the gender identity for a person. Kids seem to be more aware of sexuality and gender identity these days. These kids should have the option to go to a school where they will be physically and mentally safe. Not just from teachers but from other kids who have picked up phobic behaviour from their parents.