• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think about this?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I think it may address a survival bias.

When monotheists survive and thrive they loudly attribute their successes to god, when they suffer their voice is not heard loudly from the margins of society, and when they die they fall silent entirely.

This can lead to an eternal dogma: 'It seems simple. If the gods hadn't chosen us, somebody else would be standing here.' -Humandkind.
I don’t find that to be true in my neck of the woods…

When they suffer, they shout, praise and pray the more loudly - praising God that in the midst of the storm they stand knowing that “this is the victory that overcomes the world (circumstances), even our faith”, and again, “we are more than conquerors through him who strengthens us” as we fight the one who steals, kills and destroys.

That is what my family did when there was no food to feed our three children with our mortgage past due along with the light bill.

That is also what I did when I had a back pain that left me immovable on my bed.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If someone takes me out to dinner, they are not responsible for taking everyone in the world out for dinner, and they are not responsible for feeding me every meal in the future. But I do say thank you.

And that's one response to the message behind the meme: God just doesn't feel responsible for feeding starving people.

That would reflect on the character of God, though, and I'm not sure how easily that response can be reconciled with the (presumably) Christian beliefs that the meme is lampooning.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
And that's one response to the message behind the meme: God just doesn't feel responsible for feeding starving people.

That would reflect on the character of God, though, and I'm not sure how easily that response can be reconciled with the (presumably) Christian beliefs that the meme is lampooning.
Why are we assuming God is responsible for feeding the family in the meme? Why are we assuming that God is responsible for feeding anyone?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What's wrong with being grateful for a warm, sunny spring day, while knowing that at the same time there are places on earth where it's dark and cold?
Gratitude for an outcome implies gratitude for the process that gave rise to the outcome. Gratitude for an inequitable outcome - even one that favours you - implies gratitude for the inequity that produced the outcome.

Also, if we make the leap by assuming that the sunny day and the cold darkness were both deliberate choices by the same thinking agent, and then muse about the implications of this, things get very weird - and IMO pretty toxic - quickly.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Why are we assuming God is responsible for feeding the family in the meme? Why are we assuming that God is responsible for feeding anyone?
We aren't (edit: or at least I'm not). We're recognizing that the family in the meme considers God responsible for feeding them (edit: and everybody else, despite the fact that starving people exist).

IMO, this meme is a criticism of religious belief, not necessarily God.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What do you think about this image?
View attachment 90557

A few thoughts come to mind.

First, the most obvious point is that it is a fact that there are some parts of the world where there's plenty of food and a life of relative comfort and luxury, while other parts of the world live in utter destitution, impoverishment, and starvation. This has been pretty established; there's plenty of data to support it, along with much photographic evidence, which we can see from memes such as this one. So, it's not really any great secret being revealed here. I think most people are aware, at least on a superficial level, the general global situation as it stands.

It's meant to be provocative, but I don't have a problem with provocative memes (for the most part). On the other hand, it seems to miss the mark in that it doesn't really illustrate the reasons why such disparities exist in the first place.

And to be fair, many religious-based agencies and relief organizations do try to help many of the impoverished and starving people of the world. But many of them also seem to turn a blind eye to the causes of how the world got to this point.

On a related side note, I have also questioned the general practice of saying grace before meals. Jimmy Stewart's dinner prayer in Shenandoah had an interesting take:

Muffled

Jesus in me
Actually, I was trying to point out the hypocrisy of religion.

It's funny how someone as bad at inferring people's thoughts as you tries to speak for others so often.

Do you seriously think that the Generic American Christian Family in the meme thinks that God considers food distribution outside his job description?
Actually in the Bible God has been known to bring famine on people.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Gratitude for an outcome implies gratitude for the process that gave rise to the outcome. Gratitude for an inequitable outcome - even one that favours you - implies gratitude for the inequity that produced the outcome.
Ridiculous nonsense.

Up next - celebration of birthdays is a celebration of inequality in life spans. How dare we celebrate birthdays when some humans live longer than other humans! Outrageous! No one should ever celebrate any birthdays because this is expressing gratitude for unequal outcomes in life spans!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Ridiculous nonsense.

Up next - celebration of birthdays is a celebration of inequality in life spans. How dare we celebrate birthdays when some humans live longer than other humans! Outrageous! No one should ever celebrate any birthdays because this is expressing gratitude for unequal outcomes in life spans!
I think you missed my point. I also notice you equated "gratitude" and "celebration," which I didn't do.

Gratitude is directed to something... generally to the thing that was responsible for the thing you're grateful for.

So who or what are you grateful for for your birthday? If it's to some invisible agent who doles out lifespans based on its own capricious criteria and your long life means shortening someone else's, then yes: your gratitude may imply gratitude for inequity.

OTOH, if your lifespan and someone else's are independent - or rise and fall together - then not so much.