• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think about other religions?

Do all the major religions..

• Teach spiritual virtues

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • Teach good character

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Come from the same God

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Here's what I believe about other major religions:

I believe that my religion works best for me. That's about it. What other religions teach is really not of that much interest to me, past a bit of study, because they don't work for me. That's not saying that they are less important than my religious beliefs, it's just saying that I stay busy within the parameters of my own belief system, so I don't spend much time wondering about the beliefs of others, and I CERTAINLY don't judge them. As long as consenting adults aren't hurting each other, it's fine by me. I don't care what they do to each other consensually.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Yes. Key to Stoicism is the idea of cosmopolitanism; that we are all citizens of the world and we have to look out for one another. None of my friends, in real life or online, share my worldview.
I consider the world my tribe and when extraterrestrials are a thing, I will add them to my tribe.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
We all get to choose, great indeed is our responsibility to judge.

Interaction with The People of Bahá: A response to Ahmadi Answers

Regards Tony
Yes, so to Baha'is Mirza Ghulam Ahmad is a false prophet? Yet, he has more followers than Baha'u'llah. Which only shows that people are easily fooled by people claiming to be from God.

Now what are you going to do with this guy?
Meher Baba said, was as the avatar of his age, interpreting that term to mean the periodic incarnation of God in human form. He placed himself among such universal religious figures as Zoroaster, Rama, Krishna, the Buddha, Jesus Christ, and the Prophet Muhammad. “I am the same Ancient One come again into your midst,” he told his disciples, declaring that all major religions are revelations of “the One Reality which is God.”​

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Progressive Revelation CG.

It is way too easy to weigh the past with our own current frames of references. To do so, is a monumental error IMHO.

Regards Tony
As if beliefs of people following religious leaders can't be making "monumental" errors? So, how would we know? Maybe that's why for a couple of years now Atheists and others have bee asking Baha'is for more proof and more evidence to substantiate the claims made by the Baha'i Fatih. But all there is the same answer... his character, his writings, his mission.

Baha'is, to me, don't have any good reasons to believe in "progressive" revelation. All you had do is claim that Adam was a manifestation of God and you lost me. Show me any Scriptures that support him being a manifestation, and I'll take a look.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
That needs correct context.

All sexual relationships, outside marriage between a man and women, is against Baha'i Law.

One has to consider how crucial a strong family unit, inclusive of a mother and father, is for the development and future of humanity.

We now have lots of data as to what happens when the strength of the family unit is compromised.

Regards Tony
Yes, the Baha'i Faith is just another religion saying that God hates adultery, homosexuality and other things he thinks are perversions. God, supposedly, has given orders to kill the people that do those things. but it didn't stop the behavior. So, how will a law in the Baha'i Faith that has no punishment anywhere near that get people not to do those things? And, as we've all seen, even religious people and their leaders get caught doing those things. If it is that "crucial" and that important to God, why doesn't he reinstitute the death penalty for all, even the religious people, that break them?

Last edited:

DNB

Christian
I mean you no disrespect, but am genuinely curious how you came to believe that Christianity is the truth if you hadn't studied or experienced any other religions or worldviews.
I should've explained that I have a cursory understanding of them, so that when I hear the over-arching fundaments of the religious philosophy, I can typically discern where it fails - as I would expect anyone else to do, also.
Reincarnation is not plausible in regard to life as we know it - all men act as though they were "born yesterday".
Any form of polytheism is not plausible, as a divine being who is perfectly complete and over-encompassing in all aspects, does not need a second or third entity equal to it, nor could one differentiate one from the other as neither one lacks what the other one has, nor has anything over-and-above - they are all identical in power and spectrum.

Judaism and Islam cannot be true, as works will never ender a person righteously acceptable in the eyes of a holy God - the world is a cesspool, and all men, including myself, has made it as such.

Men need a saviour, or a means of salvation outside of their own abilities. God has offered redemption, by His grace and mercy, via the vehicle of faith. Faith reveals the deepest part of a man's heart, whereas anyone can feign their devotion within their works and rituals.

AdamjEdgar

As you know, that is one of the things I disagree with. Adam, Noah, Abraham and even Moses did not have "impeccable" characters. Some, maybe all, were very possibly mythical people based on legends.
So let me get this straight...

Moses wrote what is clearly a historical account...lots of it provable using ancient historical artifacts (lots of it not as well i get that),
The prophet Isaiah, wrote according to secular dating methods, at least 700 years before Christ...so his prophecies concerning the arrival of Christ could not be manufactured given they had no internet in those days,
the apostles, who were first hand witnesses and wrote extensively about Christ...

All of the above and an enormous amount of archeological finds, such as The black Obelisk (contains a visual description of the Jewish King Jehu bowing before the Assyrian king Shalmanasser )...you don't agree that these and many other well known evidences suggests that perhaps the bible really is an historical account and its characters really existed?

You need to read Bart Erhmans work...even though he is not a Christian, he is one of the leading scholars on the historical Jesus. Bart has shown conclusively Christ and the apostles really did exist as did many of the other characters of the bible. Almost all scholars agree that most of the bible characters really existed simply because it would be difficult to fabricate both testaments of the bible given its easy to prove the significant figures really existed, and given how well the two testaments of the Bible "gell" together..particularly as there was no internet or publishing presses 2000 years ago when the dead sea scrolls were obviously written (and 2700 years ago for Isaiah scroll) as proven by secular dating methods!

InvestigateTruth

That's an important thing to say coming from a Baha'i. And I agree with you. I don't think it can be expected for a believer in one religion to truly believe in the teachings of another religion. Because I do think they contradict.

Tolerating and accepting each other has been and is a big step, though. And even that is hard for some people, since some people that their religion is the truth, and all others are either outdated or false. And, to me, to really say that you accept them is kind of saying that their beliefs are just as good and valid as yours. And that's why I think it's hard for Baha'is to really mean it when they say they "accept" the other religions, because they don't see the others as really being equals. But Baha'is see theirs as the new truth, and the new religion for today. Which does supersede and outdate all other religions. Plus, Baha'is do say that most all the other religions have added in manmade doctrines and dogmas. And those can't be accepted as being true.

So, what can Baha'is really do and say about the other religions? Knowing that Baha'is believe that all people must turn to this new religion in order to bring peace and unity and the "oneness" of religion?
I think the best thing the Bahais of world can do in this regard is to live up to the Bahai standards. Deeds, but not words alone can spread the teachings. I remember Shoghi effendi said something like this...

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Hm, so you mean more so to focus on shared virtues?

What about religions that have virtues that may not quite go together? Would it be an 'agree to disagree, but more power to you, friend" kind of thing?

That would be very difficult, because as it currently stands, I can't see all the countries of the world agreeing on laws regarding religion, marriage, divorce, or punishment. I can't see them all coming together to adopt a universal code.

I think the internet has helped some in this way(though its opened up a Pandora's box in others).

I agree it’s a work in progress but I am a great believer in the goodness of people and that our common humanity is gradually bringing us together to work for the common good. It would be a ‘unity in diversity’ arrangement that we live and let live but with boundaries agreed upon universally such as outlawing war which causes so much misery and destruction. This will all take time but I’m sure attitudes are changing albeit slowly.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
I want to respond to this point in particular by saying that I've seen success in pluralist communities by letting each religious organization dictate its own rules for its own members, as well as allowing people to not be a member of any particular organization.

Of course, that's called anarchism.

A huge problem today is governments cannot be held accountable. Millions of people suffer at the hands of dictators with nowhere to turn to for justice. The women of Iran, genocide of the Rohingya in Burma, the Ukrainians and others call for help while humanity seems unable to help.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
They all cannot be true or correct, as anyone who compares them diligently will realize that there are critical tenets between that are fundamentally in antagonism with the other.
Either the Messiah (God's chosen) has come, or he has not - both Jews and Christians cannot be correct. Either Jesus died on the cross for man's salvation, or he didn't - both Islam and Christianity cannot be in accord with each other. Either we return to life as another entity, or that there is one resurrection that determines one's eternal standing - both Hinduism and Christianity cannot be on agreement.

Within my understanding, only Christianity is the God-given truth and means to salvation. There are truths and valid insights within all other religions, as all men are endowed with God's spirit (created in His image) - they are bound to discover right from wrong whether it be for either moral or practical reasons.

I reject all other religions and I never study any of them, as it is only required to familiarize oneself with the truth in order, to one, optimize one's tenure on earth and attain to salvation, and two, to be able to discern and recognize a fallacy and false religion.

I don’t know about that. I’ve read the holy books of all the major religions and find their spiritual teachings all in harmony with one another.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
I think our differences are worth cherishing, because they’re God-given. God, I believe, gave human beings different religions so that we could each live the life of righteousness, and goodness, and beauty, and holiness that He has for us to live. The problem, of course, is in the idea that another person’s or another culture’s expression of that life is threatening. This is a wrong view.

By religion I do not mean denomination or sect. I mean a different religion or philosophy such as Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam etc.

I accept all religions as beings reflections of humanity’s search for how to understand reality and where we fit into it, to answer the big questions of life, and transform our minds and hearts so as to positively impact the world. Human beings had this need, God in various ways answered. In this sense, all religions give us different glimpses into Truth, different perspectives on reality, but no one of them provides us with the full truth. Otherwise, God would give human beings the same perspectives on things.

Yes, of course! We’re known for that.

Absolutely! I compare the pursuit of knowledge regarding other religions to acquiring an education at school. Typically, a school will have various different subjects: your English courses, your Math, your History, your Foreign Languages, your Art, Music, the Sciences, and all of that. Different kids will have strengths and weaknesses, or preferred dispositions – one kid is a Math Whiz, another is great with Art, another loves English, another likes Science – but every child needs a well-rounded education. All of the subjects are important, are valuable. Religions are the same way: each of us can and should come together and share what we know with each other, become well-rounded so that each of us can have fuller and deeper understandings of our own religions and those of others.

I would say they could and should. Though, I think it depends on what’s meant by ‘unite’. By ‘unite’, if it’s meant that (as various detractors incorrectly try to the paint the Bahá’í teaching) different religions teach exactly the same things or that the different religions are mashed together into a single spiritual mush, then no.

However, if it’s meant recognizing that different religions are various divinely-given responses to the same human longings for truth and understanding of our world (as the Bahá’í Faith actually teaches), and deciding to – both individually and collectively – let go of our own selfish attachments to name and form and graciously accept all colors of the spiritual rainbow without prejudice or animosity, as our Hindu and Buddhist brothers and sisters have shown
us, then absolutely.

Beautifully put.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
I think that a distinction has to be made however, Christians are those who follow exclusively the Bible as their only source of authority. They do not give any other writing Divine inspiration. For this reason i think its not possible to reconcile groups who do not follow the Christian bible exclusively as fulfilling the statement in:

Rev 14: 12 Here is a call for the perseverance of the saints who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.

2 Cor 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? 16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, 18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.
I think it would be the same for most religions who follow different philsophical origins and particularly different writings. For example, Muslims could not accept that those who do not convert to Islam are going to be saved. And this is quite literally because the Koran says they are not. My only defence against the Muslim view here is that the Bible pre-dates the Koran by thousands of years!

But we could generalize by saying that any fundamentalist or extreme groups are an example of this.

My understanding is that the scriptures of any faith do not condemn any other faith, the followers do. There is no reference in the Bible whatsoever stating Hinduism or Buddhism are false and these religions came well before the Bible.

In the Quran the term infidel referred to a traitor or breaker of an oath not a non believer in Muhammad because the Quran teaches Moses and Christ were true and even praises the people of other faiths who do good works and they will be rewarded.

Learned prejudice can always be unlearned through education that all men are one human family. This will take time but we already see such things emerging as interfaith and multiculturalism which hold great hope for humanity that one day we will put aside our prejudices and embrace each other in a spirit of tolerance and unconditional acceptance.

That will be what heals our ills, to accept all men as brothers and sisters.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Be knowledgeable and humble about the logs in one’s own religion before looking for the specks in others. It’s not like Joseph married a 30 year old Mary.

Well put!

For centuries many of us have been badly educated to see ourselves as saved and others as sinners. It’s just prejudice. You know the saying ‘let him who is without sin throw the first stone’

This is the time for us to be tolerant of others who are different. To welcome them as equals. The different colours and shapes and kinds of flowers in a garden enhance its beauty. I believe there is good in all and if we cultivate it we can make this a beautiful world.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
My understanding is that the scriptures of any faith do not condemn any other faith, the followers do. There is no reference in the Bible whatsoever stating Hinduism or Buddhism are false and these religions came well before the Bible.
Well, if we forget one of the 10 commandments, of course.

ciao

- viole

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Well, if we forget one of the 10 commandments, of course.

ciao

- viole

It’s interesting though that Buddhists put Buddha on the same kind of pedestal that Christians put Christ.

53F704E7-198C-4FBC-9C3E-680FB34CC507.jpeg

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
So let me get this straight...

Moses wrote what is clearly a historical account...lots of it provable using ancient historical artifacts (lots of it not as well i get that),
The prophet Isaiah, wrote according to secular dating methods, at least 700 years before Christ...so his prophecies concerning the arrival of Christ could not be manufactured given they had no internet in those days,
the apostles, who were first hand witnesses and wrote extensively about Christ...

All of the above and an enormous amount of archeological finds, such as The black Obelisk (contains a visual description of the Jewish King Jehu bowing before the Assyrian king Shalmanasser )...you don't agree that these and many other well known evidences suggests that perhaps the bible really is an historical account and its characters really existed?

You need to read Bart Erhmans work...even though he is not a Christian, he is one of the leading scholars on the historical Jesus. Bart has shown conclusively Christ and the apostles really did exist as did many of the other characters of the bible. Almost all scholars agree that most of the bible characters really existed simply because it would be difficult to fabricate both testaments of the bible given its easy to prove the significant figures really existed, and given how well the two testaments of the Bible "gell" together..particularly as there was no internet or publishing presses 2000 years ago when the dead sea scrolls were obviously written (and 2700 years ago for Isaiah scroll) as proven by secular dating methods!
My post was to a Baha'i. They don't take lots of things in the Bible literally... like the six-day creation and a world-wide flood. And if we add in the NT, then they don't take the resurrection as being a literal, physical resurrection but a spiritual resurrection, and they believe his physical body died and stayed dead.

They believe Adam, Noah, Abraham, along with Moses were all what they call "manifestations" of God, perfectly polished mirrors that reflect God. I don't think the Bible supports that belief. And for a person that is not a Bible believer, I don't think it is strange at all to doubt just how historically accurate the lives of some of the Bible characters were or if they even were real, historical characters. I wouldn't all be surprised if the stories were embellished with myths and legends. But for you, if you believe and say they were real people that fine with me... But... just how literal do you take those stories? Are you okay with people living for hundreds of years and the world being completely flooded? With Elijah being carried off in a fiery chariot and stories of a talking serpent and wasn't there a story of a talking donkey? For me, I don't think those things really happened but were just added in to embellish the story.