• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think about other religions?

Do all the major religions..

• Teach spiritual virtues

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • Teach good character

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Come from the same God

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Am I allowed, as one of Jehovah's Witnesses who identify as Christian?

Jehovah's Witnesses believe the Bible to be true, and thus that serves as a "measuring rod", since we believe it's God's word - the final say on God's view... and they wish to follow God's view, not their own opinion... or anyone else's.

Other religions equal other ways / forms of worship.
The Bible says God accepts only one form of worship - one faith. John 4:23-24; James 1:27; Ephesians 4:4-5

Jehovah's Witnesses understand the Bible says God does not accept interfaith. 2 Corinthians 6:14-18; Revelation 18:4

Jehovah's Witnesses are from all backgrounds, cultures, and ways of life, so they are familiar will all religions.

We have publications that discuss religious beliefs of all people, especially since we try to share the good news of peace with all people.
We studied, for example, "Mankind's Search for God", a publication considering the beliefs of various religions - Hindus, Shinto, Buddhism... to name a few.

Religion cannot unite, for the simple reason, that the source of all religion is not the true God - the God of order, and peace, but rather, the God of confusion - Satan the Devil.

This is the reason there are so many different religions all teaching different doctrines... even in the same "community".

Religion is a form of worship.
When God created the first human pair, there was only one acceptable way of worship to God.
The different forms of worship came about as men moved away from pure worship, and formed their own ways of worship. See the book of Genesis, along with Genesis 11.

Like a tree with many branches, religion spread over the whole earth, along with people.
Jehovah's Witnesses believe that they practice the pure worship as outlined by God, through his word, so that they do not practice a form of worship - religion.

The Devil is a liar, and spreads lies through religion - Revelation 12:9; 2 Corinthians 4:3-4; 2 Thessalonians 2:9-1
This is his trump card, so to speak, to mislead masses away from God.

The Bible talks about not having fellowship with the unrighteousness not good people of other faiths. One cannot call infidels people of other faiths who believe in God.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
First off, I didn't take the poll, because it said "all major religions". I find this exclusionary, as the wording leaves out all my friends in smaller religions like Sikhism, Wicca, JWs, Asatru, and the Baha'is(just to name a few). I don't like to downplay minorities.

I don't think this is dependent on religion. Two people can be of the same worldview and have largely different opinions. And, what is betterment of the world? What specifically are we targeting?

I see religion as a way of seeing things; a way of making sense of the world. One person's view may seem meaningless, ridiculous, or pointless, while it may be what is keeping another going.

I think many religions(both those with many and few members) are the myriad of ways Divinity presents itself.

Yes.

I study pretty broadly. I enjoy understanding how other people see things.

First off, I will say I disapprove of any kind of religious intolerance. There is no reason anyone should be harming, belittling, or trying to squash out any religious path. This is inexcusable.

However, I don't think religions should all 'drop' beliefs in order to become one big unidentifiable mass. Jews do not need Christ. Christians do not need Mohammed. Polytheists do not need to focus on the 'One'. Buddhists do not need theism.

There are many rich cultures, stories, practices, and beliefs that belong to each tradition. To try to push them all into a big group in the name of 'unity' is disturbing to me. We can accept and even love each other without trying to become each other.

Yes I might have better termed it popular religions or just religions. It’s great that you disapprove of all religious intolerance because that’s a major cause of disunity today.

I think we can do a lot better than making derogatory statements against other religions. A healthy common respect is needed. How are Christians for example to get along with Muslims if they say Muhammad is from Satan or a murderer and pedophile? And I once had some Christians knock at my door and invited them in for prayer and I was shocked when they told me that they couldn’t pray with people of other faiths as they might contract a spiritual disease’.

It’s about time we called on people who advocate these hateful practices and demand reform because no Holy Book teaches to hate. People and organisations which teach hate are destructive and deluded and a danger to humankind.

It all goes back to the corrupt clergy who teach these false doctrines which need to be exposed. If elders are teaching their people not to mix with other faiths and shun them then I believe that is evil and that they are the false teachers holy books warn us about. If religion teaches hate then get rid of such a religion.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
My country is predominantly Christian and we demonize nations that are predominantly Muslim to no end, and some we bomb and invade and try to Christianise them.

Right now we are cooperating with Jews in Israel in order to push Muslims off their land so that Jews can settle there.

The common denominator is that we are all equal human beings whether Christian, Jewish or Muslim but as long as we can’t or won’t see that reality it will be an endless ‘us vs them’ mentality causing hatred and unnecessary suffering and wars.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
This is directed to the respected members of all religions. There are differences between religions but Interfaith tries to look for what we have in common. Should we allow our differences to divide us or should we put aside our differences and work for the betterment of the world?

Most differences can be put aside. The issue arises when we disagree on what it means to work for the betterment of the world. There are a lot of competing ideas about that. I don't think those differences can be easily set aside, and I also don't see any easy resolution to them. In my opinion, this disagreement is the greatest social issue facing humanity.

As a member of your faith, do you accept other religions are true or only your religion?

There isn't a blanket yes/no answer for me here. I agree on some matters, disagree on others.

Does your religion promote fellowship between members of other faiths or not.

Yes. Key to Stoicism is the idea of cosmopolitanism; that we are all citizens of the world and we have to look out for one another. None of my friends, in real life or online, share my worldview.

Do you ever read or study other religions within your religion.

Of course.

Do you think religions can unite and accept each other. For example Jews accept Christ and Christians accept Muhammad. If not why not?

No, because if Jews accept Christ then they would no longer be Jews but Christians. If Christians accept Muhammad then they would no longer be Christians but Muslims. The consequence here isn't religions living in harmony, but everyone converting to one single religion.

Which is a lofty goal. If you could persuade everyone to voluntarily convert to one world religion, that would solve what I just called the greatest social issue facing humanity. Many "perennial philosophies" tried to do just that, like Theosophy and Rosicrucianism, but they ended up creating new religions instead of banding together the existing ones.

I'm not going to say that it can't be done, which is the fatalistic position I've taken in the past. I mean, if you look at Unitarian Univeralism, New Age communities, and a lot of Hindu communities, they find a way to make religious pluralism work. I think any idea like that could spread and become a dominant philosophy under the right circumstances. In fact, I think we're already starting to see that shift in many places now.

I remain a bit skeptical, though, just because I don't want to get my faith in humanity crushed again. I would be willing to hear out what I could do to better usher in this sort of change, though.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
I'm not answering the poll. Neither answer really applies to me, even leaving aside that my conception of "major religion" is probably very different from the original poster's.

Neither. There are many valid, constructive and true religions, but also many utterly false and destructive ones.

Even proper religions can be mispracticed. It is really necessary to gauge whether Adharma and Avidya arise on a case-by-case basis.

I would hope so. Although I have come to realize that establishing what we reject is perhaps as important as reaching out. Sometimes there is no other way of being understood.

Do you mean "outside"? Yes, I have a degree of interest in creeds and religions generally.

Most can, particularly if they are valid in their own terms.

But sometimes there is just no point, particularly in the Abrahamics, which impose serious complications on that front.

I'm not sure of what would constitute acceptance of Jesus in Judaism. As others made abundantly clear, Christianity is utterly incompatible with Judaism.

Muhammad, by way of the Qur'an, says outright that Judaism and Christianity have lost their ways and must give way to Islam. And _also_ that no later doctrine will be in any way better than Islam. So there is no point in attempting to find common ground with other Abrahamics, let alone non-Abrahamics. Islam refuses to even acknowledge that paganism and disbelief are not one and the same thing, nor that either can be valid.

When I go back to the core teachings of each faith or philosophy I find complete harmony. There is just so much wisdom and truth in all the virtues taught. So for instance I use things like the Dhammapadda, the Beautitudes, and the essence of the good that all religions teach to guide my life not just my own religion.

What I steer clear of are interpretations saying one religion is superior to another or is the only way to save one’s soul. And any call to violence. Any religion which teaches to hate and kill I believe is no religion and we are better off without such a religion. Some sects teach hatred against and demonise other religionists. This is unacceptable. We are all human beings. That should matter most.

I think the only thing currently where we can find common ground is our common humanity.

lukethethird

unknown member
The common denominator is that we are all equal human beings whether Christian, Jewish or Muslim but as long as we can’t or won’t see that reality it will be an endless ‘us vs them’ mentality causing hatred and unnecessary suffering and wars.
Exactly. It's tribal mentality to raid other tribes in order to take everything they have, and now it's on a global scale.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes I might have better termed it popular religions or just religions. It’s great that you disapprove of all religious intolerance because that’s a major cause of disunity today.

Yes, I think the best way to term it would be just 'religions'... all religions start small. Some grow into larger movements, some stay small. Others reign for a time, and fade away, perhaps to be born again, in a new form.

I think we can do a lot better than making derogatory statements against other religions. A healthy common respect is needed. How are Christians for example to get along with Muslims if they say Muhammad is from Satan or a murderer and pedophile? And I once had some Christians knock at my door and invited them in for prayer and I was shocked when they told me that they couldn’t pray with people of other faiths as they might contract a spiritual disease’.

In circumstances as you mention, harmony is almost impossible. It would be nice if people could say "this isn't the way I see/believe/do things, but I'm happy it works for you". People struggle with that, though... Many believe what's good for them is good for all.

It’s about time we called on people who advocate these hateful practices and demand reform because no Holy Book teaches to hate. People and organisations which teach hate are destructive and deluded and a danger to humankind.

I agree.

It all goes back to the corrupt clergy who teach these false doctrines which need to be exposed. If elders are teaching their people not to mix with other faiths and shun them then I believe that is evil and that they are the false teachers holy books warn us about. If religion teaches hate then get rid of such a religion.

I can't think of any religions that actually teach hate. It seems to me that sometimes folks cherry pick verses they think hint at hate and use that to either act hatefully or denounce an entire belief system as hateful, but I feel that's more of a representation of that individual rather than the religion itself.

Last edited:

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Most differences can be put aside. The issue arises when we disagree on what it means to work for the betterment of the world. There are a lot of competing ideas about that. I don't think those differences can be easily set aside, and I also don't see any easy resolution to them. In my opinion, this disagreement is the greatest social issue facing humanity.

There isn't a blanket yes/no answer for me here. I agree on some matters, disagree on others.

Yes. Key to Stoicism is the idea of cosmopolitanism; that we are all citizens of the world and we have to look out for one another. None of my friends, in real life or online, share my worldview.

Of course.

No, because if Jews accept Christ then they would no longer be Jews but Christians. If Christians accept Muhammad then they would no longer be Christians but Muslims. The consequence here isn't religions living in harmony, but everyone converting to one single religion.

Which is a lofty goal. If you could persuade everyone to voluntarily convert to one world religion, that would solve what I just called the greatest social issue facing humanity. Many "perennial philosophies" tried to do just that, like Theosophy and Rosicrucianism, but they ended up creating new religions instead of banding together the existing ones.

I'm not going to say that it can't be done, which is the fatalistic position I've taken in the past. I mean, if you look at Unitarian Univeralism, New Age communities, and a lot of Hindu communities, they find a way to make religious pluralism work. I think any idea like that could spread and become a dominant philosophy under the right circumstances. In fact, I think we're already starting to see that shift in many places now.

I remain a bit skeptical, though, just because I don't want to get my faith in humanity crushed again. I would be willing to hear out what I could do to better usher in this sort of change, though.

Maybe if we adopted a world embracing attitude and a universal ethic we would be able to practice world citizenship. The boundaries are all man made. We are basically one people living on one planet. I think that religious pluralism works. For example, religions can accept each other’s ‘spiritual teachings’ can they not? A Jew can accept the law of love taught by Jesus and the Beautitudes, the Christian can accept the Dhammapada for its teachings are all about virtues and so on with Hinduism etc. For all the virtues in all the religions are not in conflict with one another. So I accept all the spiritual teachings of all religions very easily. So I am a Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim, Christian and Jew - a universal person.

As to social laws, laws of marriage, divorce, punishment etc that may need to be decided by each nation according to its culture or humanity’s governments can consult together on a universal code of laws probably based on something like the UniversalDeclaration of Human Rights being adopted as the constitution of the world.

With world international travel and communication I think we are much closer to a world civilisation being born than most think or realise.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe if we adopted a world embracing attitude and a universal ethic we would be able to practice world citizenship. The boundaries are all man made. We are basically one people living on one planet. I think that religious pluralism works. For example, religions can accept each other’s ‘spiritual teachings’ can they not? A Jew can accept the law of love taught by Jesus and the Beautitudes, the Christian can accept the Dhammapada for its teachings are all about virtues and so on with Hinduism etc. For all the virtues in all the religions are not in conflict with one another. So I accept all the spiritual teachings of all religions very easily. So I am a Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim, Christian and Jew - a universal person.

Hm, so you mean more so to focus on shared virtues?

What about religions that have virtues that may not quite go together? Would it be an 'agree to disagree, but more power to you, friend" kind of thing?

As to social laws, laws of marriage, divorce, punishment etc that may need to be decided by each nation according to its culture or humanity’s governments can consult together on a universal code of laws probably based on something like the UniversalDeclaration of Human Rights being adopted as the constitution of the world.

That would be very difficult, because as it currently stands, I can't see all the countries of the world agreeing on laws regarding religion, marriage, divorce, or punishment. I can't see them all coming together to adopt a universal code.

With world international travel and communication I think we are much closer to a world civilisation being born than most think or realise.
I think the internet has helped some in this way(though its opened up a Pandora's box in others).

Ella S.

*temp banned*

I want to respond to this point in particular by saying that I've seen success in pluralist communities by letting each religious organization dictate its own rules for its own members, as well as allowing people to not be a member of any particular organization.

Of course, that's called anarchism.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
I can't think of any religions that actually teach hate. It seems to me that sometimes folks cherry pick verses they think hint at hate and use that to either act hatefully or denounce an entire belief system as hateful, but I feel that's more of a representation of that individual rather than the religion itself.

I know a few, but I think even mentioning them is borderline against the rules on this forum.

DNB

Christian
This is directed to the respected members of all religions. There are differences between religions but Interfaith tries to look for what we have in common. Should we allow our differences to divide us or should we put aside our differences and work for the betterment of the world?

By religion I do not mean denomination or sect. I mean a different religion or philosophy such as Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam etc.

As a member of your faith, do you accept other religions are true or only your religion?

Do you think religions can unite and accept each other. For example Jews accept Christ and Christians accept Muhammad. If not why not?
They all cannot be true or correct, as anyone who compares them diligently will realize that there are critical tenets between that are fundamentally in antagonism with the other.
Either the Messiah (God's chosen) has come, or he has not - both Jews and Christians cannot be correct. Either Jesus died on the cross for man's salvation, or he didn't - both Islam and Christianity cannot be in accord with each other. Either we return to life as another entity, or that there is one resurrection that determines one's eternal standing - both Hinduism and Christianity cannot be on agreement.

Within my understanding, only Christianity is the God-given truth and means to salvation. There are truths and valid insights within all other religions, as all men are endowed with God's spirit (created in His image) - they are bound to discover right from wrong whether it be for either moral or practical reasons.

I reject all other religions and I never study any of them, as it is only required to familiarize oneself with the truth in order, to one, optimize one's tenure on earth and attain to salvation, and two, to be able to discern and recognize a fallacy and false religion.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I reject all other religions and I never study any of them, as it is only required to familiarize oneself with the truth in order, to one, optimize one's tenure on earth and attain to salvation, and two, to be able to discern and recognize a fallacy and false religion.

I mean you no disrespect, but am genuinely curious how you came to believe that Christianity is the truth if you hadn't studied or experienced any other religions or worldviews.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Most major religions are bad guides. Life is a journey, not a paved road for the believers only. Major religions are exclusive clubs, and they can't all be right, but they sure can all be wrong.

I'm not against God worship so long as there is reality and truth to it, and it doesn't call for condemning those honest non believers.

danieldemol

Premium Member
This is directed to the respected members of all religions.
I think that is a shortcoming in your vision, you have already excluded an extraordinary amount of people when you exclude the non-religious.

There are differences between religions but Interfaith tries to look for what we have in common. Should we allow our differences to divide us or should we put aside our differences and work for the betterment of the world?
I sense you are looking at this overly simplistically. Whose version of world betterment are we to follow? And how do we know that is the best solution without examining the differences in approach? Are there situations where if we agreed we would both be wrong?

By religion I do not mean denomination or sect. I mean a different religion or philosophy such as Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam etc.
In other words you are not considering religion comprehensively, another blind spot in your vision perhaps?

I consider all religions to be a conglomerate of truth and falsehood and things which are neither true nor false.

I believe in trying to be friendly up to a point, but don't expect me to agree or fellowship with those who are prepared to use violence to enforce theocracy.

There are no religions "within" my beliefs, but I believe in being open minded and considering all ideas I come across.

I think it would be difficult if not impossible because I believe Abrahamic religions are largely spread through birth rates rather than consideration of evidence, so I'm inclined to think that alone causes a significant obstacle to their acceptance of each other. Then there is the other matter which is that I believe Judaism, Christianity and Islam (and Baha'i) contain falsehood to at least a partial degree, and how can people unite under the banner of falsehood without some degree of compulsion or misinformation?

In my opinion

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member

I think our differences are worth cherishing, because they’re God-given. God, I believe, gave human beings different religions so that we could each live the life of righteousness, and goodness, and beauty, and holiness that He has for us to live. The problem, of course, is in the idea that another person’s or another culture’s expression of that life is threatening. This is a wrong view.

I accept all religions as beings reflections of humanity’s search for how to understand reality and where we fit into it, to answer the big questions of life, and transform our minds and hearts so as to positively impact the world. Human beings had this need, God in various ways answered. In this sense, all religions give us different glimpses into Truth, different perspectives on reality, but no one of them provides us with the full truth. Otherwise, God would give human beings the same perspectives on things.

Yes, of course! We’re known for that.

Absolutely! I compare the pursuit of knowledge regarding other religions to acquiring an education at school. Typically, a school will have various different subjects: your English courses, your Math, your History, your Foreign Languages, your Art, Music, the Sciences, and all of that. Different kids will have strengths and weaknesses, or preferred dispositions – one kid is a Math Whiz, another is great with Art, another loves English, another likes Science – but every child needs a well-rounded education. All of the subjects are important, are valuable. Religions are the same way: each of us can and should come together and share what we know with each other, become well-rounded so that each of us can have fuller and deeper understandings of our own religions and those of others.

I would say they could and should. Though, I think it depends on what’s meant by ‘unite’. By ‘unite’, if it’s meant that (as various detractors incorrectly try to the paint the Bahá’í teaching) different religions teach exactly the same things or that the different religions are mashed together into a single spiritual mush, then no.

However, if it’s meant recognizing that different religions are various divinely-given responses to the same human longings for truth and understanding of our world (as the Bahá’í Faith actually teaches), and deciding to – both individually and collectively – let go of our own selfish attachments to name and form and graciously accept all colors of the spiritual rainbow without prejudice or animosity, as our Hindu and Buddhist brothers and sisters have shown
us, then absolutely.