• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you say when

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
How not?

Not going by dictionary definitions. Many Christians, for example, get anszy with the word religion so they use belief or faith. Many pagans dont use religion so they choose path. Some buddhist dont use path many use practice or religion instead.

Either way, in that context only, each faith use the words they are comfortable with when saying what they believe (or practice)

Its not by dictionary. Religion to people like myself is not dogma. Practice to many is not just "doing" things. Path to some is not just "walking amlessly on a dirt road of spirituality.".

Oh. Forgot that one. Spirituality.

Anyway, it depends on the person.
I get that religion is important to you and to many other people, but this doesn't make the things that are important to me my "religion".

Some people are really into baseball, but they don't go around claiming things like "reading is your baseball, so you like baseball" when they find someone who's really into reading.

Basically, I don't like it when people try to co-opt my worldview. I live according to principles and everyone has a "path", but I don't have a faith or a religion. If you don't like that, too bad.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
depends on the person and context but non theist, humanist and naturalist always make the list. other additions are idk like chaote, Taoist, lhp, lucifearen, pagan curious, pantheist, animist etc

i agree with jeff they don't mean the same thing. an example :i practice animism, but i d believe in it or consider it truth.

Practice has more than one meaning, though. Many Buddhist call what they do/believe a Practice. They not only meditate etc..they also believe in he Dharma they practice so it goes together.

The Practice I am not refering to is just actions. I sometimes practice (do) chant to the Gohonzon. However, although I agree with many of the teachings, I dont agree with SGI interpretation of them. So its just an action.

On the other hand, my Practice is paganism because I both believe In it and I practice (do)it. It is my P-ractice. My faith. My religion. All the above. I dont just Do it, I Am the practices/beliefs/religion.

So, what youre saying is you practice (perform actions) asociated with anamism but it is not your Practice/faith/religion.

:leafwind:

What Im asking in the OP is not isolated things you do (you practice) but what Practice (or whatever you lile to call it) makes you, you. Its not just your morals but everything from how you act to how you inteact with others.

I cant think of another word but the ones I listed. Its context.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I get that religion is important to you and to many other people, but this doesn't make the things that are important to me my "religion".

Some people are really into baseball, but they don't go around claiming things like "reading is your baseball, so you like baseball" when they find someone who's really into reading.

Basically, I don't like it when people try to co-opt my worldview. I live according to principles and everyone has a "path", but I don't have a faith or a religion. If you don't like that, too bad.

I just dont separate it. "Whatever" in the OP you like to call it is your preference. Thats why I list them all. Not Everyone likes the word religion. You just showed me that.

Why the hostility? I gave options for a reason. If I just said religion, people would flip. Calm down. Sheesh.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
This depends on the subject, context, and to an extent, who is asking. I'm a theist, with many aspects that may or may not be related to whatever the person is talking about, or the subject. On certain subjects, I'm going to know the persons positions on various things, so I often do not have to explore those topics with said person. ie I don't have to discuss what the person doesn't know.:thumbsup:

That makes sense. For me personally, I try to voice whst I believe as a christian would do too. Christians I am with dont do as I do, pull back and go along with what I say. They are bold and just say "I am This or that".

I have multiple worldviews and morals; I just dont call them religions.

/shrugs/ Its hard being open minded around here where I live.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I know. I know. Yall dont want to label yourselves. Dont worry. Posting isnt cement. Was going to put this in jokes/games. Couldnt make up my mind. Pretend if you like.

Its not that serious, some of you. Call it what you want. Im just curious.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Nice thread!

Depends on my mood - I like to think I take the best from all religions - peace, love, tolerance etc ... there is a Gandhi quote along those lines ...

When I am in a posiitive frame of mind I have compassion for all beings because most people only do the things they do because they are frustrated by their own suffering, even if it is just the subtle suffering of not experiencing all the happiness they can imagine.

I always try to heed this advice -

An old Cherokee chief was teaching his grandson about life ...

"A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy.

"It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves."

"One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, self-doubt, and ego."

"The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith."

"This same fight is going on inside you - and inside every other person, too."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather,

"Which wolf will win?"

The old chief simply replied,

"The one you feed."

All the best!

Kelly of the Phoenix

...someone ask your religion/faith/path/practice/spirituality/whatever?

Im a left-handed christo-pagan?
A buddhist muslim agnostic?
A Catholic Witness?
A right wing christian?

I know. I know. Yall dont want to label yourselves. Dont worry. Posting isnt cement. Was going to put this in jokes/games. Couldnt make up my mind. Pretend if you like.

What would you tell someone your RFPPSW is?
Religion: Nothing official, used to be Christian
Faith: Truth
Path: Benevolence with a side of practicality (sometimes you just gotta break some eggs to make an omelette)
Practice: Whatever seems to work for faith and path at the time
Spirituality: Phoenix
Whatever: Gonzo is the best one :p

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Here is the quote:

"Like a bee gathering honey from the different flowers, the wise person accepts the essence of the different scriptures and sees only the good in all religions"

Have a good one!

4consideration

Premium Member
It depends on who I think I'm talking to and why. If I think I'm talking to someone without an agenda to convince/convert me, I might be more open to having a conversation...but often my response is done with an intention to keep the person from overstepping my boundaries on the issue.

I tend to say something like this: Well I grew up as a Catholic, but have not practiced that religion for many years. I haven't found any church that I think is better, and I'm not really interested in looking for one, so I don't use an organized approach.

edit: I also may mention that I don't use the label of "Christian."

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It depends on who I think I'm talking to and why. If I think I'm talking to someone without an agenda to convince/convert me, I might be more open to having a conversation...but often my response is done with an intention to keep the person from overstepping my boundaries on the issue.

I tend to say something like this: Well I grew up as a Catholic, but have not practiced that religion for many years. I haven't found any church that I think is better, and I'm not really interested in looking for one, so I don't use an organized approach.

edit: I also may mention that I don't use the label of "Christian."

Kinda feels fustrating to have to really do that.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
...someone ask your religion/faith/path/practice/spirituality/whatever?

Im a left-handed christo-pagan?
A buddhist muslim agnostic?
A Catholic Witness?
A right wing christian?

What would you tell someone your RFPPSW is?
Jewish.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Okay. I have another question for you guys. Define each of the words:

Raeligion
Path
Faith
Spirituality
Practice
Whatever

How do You view these words not from the dictionary please.

:herb:

Okay. Okay. I'll start.

Religion: Set of practices and beliefs one has that they shape their life to.

Path: A defined journey that focus on spiritual values and shaping them

Faith: The core or whats behind your religion and whst guides your path. I.e. christians faith would be her relationship with Christ.

Spirituality: The sum of your worldview related to your religion, faith, and path (and practice and whatever)

P-ractice: What do you do that makes you You within your faith

Whatever: 42

I.e. Christian (not saying all)

Religion: Christian
Path: Follower of Christ
Faith: Love of Christ
Spirituality: Spirit of Christ
Practice: the Words of Christ

The OP question/answer: A Child of God

Last edited: