• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you like better dogs or cats?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
in-ancient-times-cats-were-worshipped-as-gods-they-have-17953514.jpg

pearl

Its a tough call for me, I love them both and grew up with both. But we now have a dog who hates cats so can't have one now.

Yazata

Dogs, by a mile

I can read a dog's emotions which I sense are very similar to my own, I have some sense of what they are thinking and what motivates them. And I also sense that my dog can read me in much the same way. We have lots of non-verbal communication going. In a word, I guess that dogs are more like human beings in many of the ways that matter to me.

Cats are a closed book to me. They are there in the room but I have no idea what they are thinking or why they behave as they do. It's almost as if I'm sharing the room with a space alien.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Don't mind either, so tend to treat them much the same, even if a dog (Chow) took an undeserved (and unexpected) bite out of my hand as a six-year-old - never owned either although we did have a cat when I was very small:

View attachment 51664

Husband had a similar experience with a chow. :( Enjoys dogs otherwise, but no chows. Honestly, I don't know why everyone focuses on Pits, because I hear so many horror stories from chows.

Paws down it is dogs. More empathy than cats. Cats generally could care less.

That's not true. I had a (male) cat go into labor with me last time around... I'd have a contraction, and he'd roll and howl on the floor. He ran about, wanting someone to take care of the problem. We've also had female cats attend to the babies, and one overly rambunctious cat who defended my son's soup while he went to the bathroom.

Heyo

Veteran Member
That's not true. I had a (male) cat go into labor with me last time around... I'd have a contraction, and he'd roll and howl on the floor. He ran about, wanting someone to take care of the problem. We've also had female cats attend to the babies, and one overly rambunctious cat who defended my son's soup while he went to the bathroom.
Did you know that that is a very recent development? Cats in the wild are loners (except for lions). And so it was a sensation when social behaviour was first described among the street cats of Rome in the 1960s.

Viker

Häxan
Be warned! This footage is of the true nature of the feline beast or better known universally as a flerken.

380d698b8f14b33ea9310bc4b24552d6.gif

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Felis Catus
is your taxonomic nomenclature
An endothermic quadruped
carniverous by nature
Your visual, olfactory,
and auditory senses
Contribute to your hunting skills
and natural defenses.
I find myself intrigued
by your sub-vocal oscillations
A singular development
of cat communications
That obviates your
basic hedonistic predilection
For a rhythmic stroking of your fur
to demonstrate affection.
A tail is quite essential
for your acrobatic talents
You would not be so agile
if you lacked its counterbalance
And when not being utilized
to aid in locomotion
It often serves to illustrate
the state of your emotion
Oh Spot,
e complex levels of behavior you display
Denote a fairly well developed cognitive array
And though you are not sentient, Spot, and do not comprehend
I nonetheless consider you a true and valued friend.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Husband had a similar experience with a chow. :( Enjoys dogs otherwise, but no chows. Hones
I put the naughty Chow down to just having a bad day (waiting for its master outside a shop), was short-sighted, mistook my hand for a food offering, or because they are temperamentally that way, so not a slight on all dogs. Did make me a bit more careful around dogs for a while no doubt.