• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you feel is wrong with atheism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
The reason the bible teaches atheist are evil is that atheist reject the moral standards given to man by God...
You could not possibly be more wrong. Well, you probably could, and I'm sure you'll try.

First, morals do not derive exclusively from the Bible or God. If they did, all atheists (and agnostics) would be completely amoral.

Secondly, you don't have a clue as to what "atheist" (sic) reject or embrace, because as a group (like Christians) atheists embrace the entire gamut of morals. There are atheists that believe abortion is fine, and atheists that eschew it. There are atheists that support the war in Iraq, and atheists that oppose it. There are atheists that think consuming alchohol is wrong, and some that are strong supporters of it. There are atheists that are ultra conservative, and atheists that are ultra liberal. For the love of Pete, please get it through your simplistic skull that you cannot lump all atheists into a single group (other than their disbelief in God).

UnTheist

It would be great if you could give us a detailed description of what "Atheistic Logic" is, and how it works, Mr. Gadfly.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Anybody who is reasonably sane knows a joke when they see it. I know that I am not a fly. But, the way you reason about things, do you know that you are not the Voice of Reason.?

Your post sounded like anything but a joke. You might have made the claim that you were speaking figuratively, as Charity suggested, but to claim that you were speaking in jest is pretty hard to swallow.

As for the "Voice of Reason", I'll wager that I'm a lot closer to speaking for Reason than you are to speaking for God.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
I think so. It sure does not teach atheist are righteous.The Bible teaches that atheist lie and the Bible claims atheist are fools. Don't get mad at me. Get mad at God. He said it,not me.
Oh, the irony of it all. You are discussing the shortcomings of atheism in a debate with non-theists, and you quote God to bolster your argument.

Sadly, I doubt that you even see the irony, even after having it pointed out to you.

GadFly

What's the matter? Gadfly not enough backup on this one?
Are you aware that you are violating the ethics you agreed to when you joined this forum to continually make remarks about a third person that is no in your conversation, such as here? I have been the topic of conversation between you and several atheist. It is called ganging up, twisting the facts, trolling and slander. Do you think your ethics are beyond question?

Put your honor where your mouth is and cite the times that I have twisted any fact or done a hurtful thing to an individual on this thread. All you have said about me has been hateful lies and spiteful distortions with your outhouse ethical system. I am standing firm on what I believe and if that offends you, that's tough. I was invited by this thread to say what I think is wrong with atheism and that is all I am doing.

Theocan

Nothing is wrong for what they believe, they have that right.

Why I won't be one, is because there is no answer for the beginning. As though humans are just "dust" (I'm watching the Golden Compass right now, good movie) it is very pessimistic. (and I can understand why.) But I pray that God, guides them something just to be a general theist, recognize a God. (I don't like the term God because it implies a definite limitation to God-- When there is no limitation, no human can fully understand the maximum limitation, but humans can understand that God is limitless, that the word "God" does not represent the "being" in the correct way.)

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Are you aware that you are violating the ethics you agreed to when you joined this forum to continually make remarks about a third person that is no in your conversation, such as here? I have been the topic of conversation between you and several atheist. It is called ganging up, twisting the facts, trolling and slander. Do you think your ethics are beyond question?

Put your honor where your mouth is and cite the times that I have twisted any fact or done a hurtful thing to an individual on this thread. All you have said about me has been hateful lies and spiteful distortions with your outhouse ethical system. I am standing firm on what I believe and if that offends you, that's tough. I was invited by this thread to say what I think is wrong with atheism and that is all I am doing.
That "Self Appointed Martyrdom" is a tough gig, isn't it?

For the record - no, I don't believe my ethics are beyond question. It would appear though, that based on your posts, you believe that yours are (because, as we all know, only yours are derived from God - the REAL God).

I have not lied about you or to you on this thread. I have (along with several others) tried to show you the errors of your logic, which you insist on misreading as "ganging up on". At the risk of appealing to the majority, when 30 different people tell you that your fly is open, you might just want to check it.

The fact that you stand firm on what you believe does not offend me in the slightest. In fact, I am glad that you have the courage of your convictions. On the other hand, I am deeply offended when you insist on prostelytizing, by telling everyone that strays into this thread that you, and only you, can possibly be right.

Something for you to consider:
In this debate, not one atheist has responded to even one of my posts in what you would consider "attack mode". In my very first post in this thread (page 11, post #305), I stated my view as to what was "wrong" with atheism. If you read that post, you will notice that I did not make any generalizations about atheists, nor did I impugn what they believe. I merely expressed why I don't embrace it, and I gave a very clear reason for my position.
Now, obviously, the atheists that are participating in this thread don't agree with my view on this, but they don't feel that I attacked them.

On the other hand, you have done nothing BUT attack them (and, in an act of sheer ignorance, agnostics such as myself as well). Make that a repeated act of ignorance. AFTER it was pointed out to you. Several times.

You have claimed that atheists (and agnostics) don't understand the rules of logic, that only you do, and that we just don't "get it". As if all non-theists are just to obtuse to follow your pristine use of the discipline. Your soul mate (Rolling Stone) has also gone as far as to tell us that not only do we not understand, we are too lazy or incapable of even conducting the search for truth.

If you want me to "back off" and give you some breathing space, you are going to have to earn it. Demonstrate some semblance of humility, cut the condescension, and actually learn how to listen to what others say without dismissing things that challenge your belief system as "atheist logic" (whatever the heck you think that is). Then, and ONLY then, will I give you the respect that you crave so dearly. Until then, I will continue to treat your posts with contempt, and I will continue to challenge the outrageously asinine statements that you make.

You embrace intolerance as if it were a badge of honor. Does that make sense to you - on any level?

Your bestest buddy,
TVOR

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
The reason the bible teaches atheist are evil is that atheist reject the moral standards given to man by God. It is a theological concept shared by Christians universally. Are you going to charge every body in Christendom with a personal attack or just me.

The first sentence is utterly false. Atheists don't generally reject the moral standards that Christians accept. As many atheists as Christians don't kill, lie, cheat, steal, etc. The only thing they differ on is the existence of God, not what a person should or should not do.

If you mean that the concept of atheists being evil is shared by Christians universally, then you are sorely mistaken. I'd bet that the majority of Christians don't believe that, but any who do claim that would be making a personal attack on atheists, yes.

GadFly

You could not possibly be more wrong. Well, you probably could, and I'm sure you'll try.

First, morals do not derive exclusively from the Bible or God. If they did, all atheists (and agnostics) would be completely amoral.

Secondly, you don't have a clue as to what "atheist" (sic) reject or embrace, because as a group (like Christians) atheists embrace the entire gamut of morals. There are atheists that believe abortion is fine, and atheists that eschew it. There are atheists that support the war in Iraq, and atheists that oppose it. There are atheists that think consuming alchohol is wrong, and some that are strong supporters of it. There are atheists that are ultra conservative, and atheists that are ultra liberal. For the love of Pete, please get it through your simplistic skull that you cannot lump all atheists into a single group (other than their disbelief in God).
I am almost embarrassed to have to point out how silly and ridiculous your reasoning is. The character you are playing, give it up. You can't pull it off any more after this explanation you give. Use Dumbo the elephant, Donald Duck. or a fruit fly, or something else but the Voice of Reason, you are not.

Even simple minded philosophers admit and know that moral codes either come from God or Man (humanism). Your understanding is that of a sophist, is it not?

The Bible testifies of the morals that are required by God and the Constitution of the USA is based on these self evident truths. If a person rejects these morals, he falls into a category

I am almost embarrassed to have to point out how silly and ridiculous your reasoning is. The character you are playing, give it up. You can't pull it off any more after this explanation you give. Use Dumbo the elephant, Donald Duck. or a fruit fly, or something else but the Voice of Reason, you are not.[/QUOTE]
Talking about not having a clue, you are in for a shock, brother!

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Gadfly said:
I am almost embarrassed to have to point out how silly and ridiculous your reasoning is. The character you are playing, give it up. You can't pull it off any more after this explanation you give. Use Dumbo the elephant, Donald Duck. or a fruit fly, or something else but the Voice of Reason, you are not.

I would have to say that your inability to see the reason in his statements only helps support his title of "Voice of Reason". It seems you have trouble either seeing or recognizing reason, so if you were to call his post reasonable, his reasoning, to me, would come into question.

Scott1

All you have said about me has been hateful lies and spiteful distortions with your outhouse ethical system. I am standing firm on what I believe and if that offends you, that's tough. I was invited by this thread to say what I think is wrong with atheism and that is all I am doing.
Ummm... care to have an outside, CHRISTIAN point of view?

Your theology is un-orthodox ... you consistently show a lack of Christian charity... and it seems hubris has motivated you to attack and belittle those who (by a Christian POV) need the most mercy.

Bravo.... :takeabow:you're doing great.

UnTheist

It would be great if you could give us a detailed description of what "Atheistic Logic" is, and how it works, Mr. Gadfly.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
I am almost embarrassed to have to point out how silly and ridiculous your reasoning is.
At this point in the thread, I highly doubt that you are capable of being embarrased.

The character you are playing, give it up. You can't pull it off any more after this explanation you give. Use Dumbo the elephant, Donald Duck. or a fruit fly, or something else but the Voice of Reason, you are not.
Just a few posts ago, you were complaining that you were the target of personal attacks and ridicule. Once again, irony rears its ugly head.

Even simple minded philosophers admit and know that moral codes either come from God or Man (humanism). Your understanding is that of a sophist, is it not?
Simple minded philosophers, indeed.
As for my being a sophist, I'll agree, with the understanding that you are referring to original Greek usage of the word. Of the Greek sages, I prefer Solon of Athens.
I would also label you as a sophist, using it in the current context (hint - this is not a compliment).

The Bible testifies of the morals that are required by God and the Constitution of the USA is based on these self evident truths. If a person rejects these morals, he falls into a category.
Oy vey!!

Talking about not having a clue, you are in for a shock, brother!
Again with applying your belief system to those that don't embrace it.

Is it lonely in there?

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Ummm... care to have an outside, CHRISTIAN point of view?

Your theology is un-orthodox ... you consistently show a lack of Christian charity... and it seems hubris has motivated you to attack and belittle those who (by a Christian POV) need the most mercy.

Bravo.... :takeabow:you're doing great.

Thanks, Scott. I doubt that he'll digest the meaning of your post, but I do appreciate the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.