• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do Jews find strange about Christianity and why.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
The largest inaccuracy is in the title of the article: "Messiah to be God-Divine".

@Spartan ,

In the article you provided from Menorah.org, there is a mistake ( from what I can tell ). It says:

"... many rabbis recognized that the Messiah would be God. R. Abba bar Kahana explicitly stated that the Messiah's name would be "Lord-God (Adonai)", and quotes Jeremiah 23:6 as evidence [Lam. Rab. 1:51]"

The problem is that Lam Rab 1:51 specifically says that Messiah is not God, but is God-like. ( link ) Because of this, the claim, "many rabbis recognized..." is an unsubstantiated claim.

The article you provided doesn't provide evidence that Messiah = God. However, it was a fascinating article. And I appreciate that you provided it.

Last edited:

Spartan

@Spartan ,

In the article you provided from Menorah.org, there is a mistake ( from what I can tell ). It says:

"... many rabbis recognized that the Messiah would be God. R. Abba bar Kahana explicitly stated that the Messiah's name would be "Lord-God (Adonai)", and quotes Jeremiah 23:6 as evidence [Lam. Rab. 1:51]"

The problem is that Lam Rab 1:51 specifically says that Messiah is not God, but is God-like. ( link ) Because of this, the claim, "many rabbis recognized..." is an unsubstantiated claim.

The article you provided doesn't provide evidence that Messiah = God. However, it was a fascinating article. And I appreciate that you provided it.

There were other scriptures noted in the article that support a divine Messiah, and the New Testament and history has shown that Jesus was divine. He prophesied he would raise himself from the dead, and that's what happened. Only God can do that. Plus, there's more:

The Deity of Messiah in the Tenach and other Jewish Writings

Spartan

I know what the two messiahs are. What you wrote was a bunch of nonsense that you assume about Jews and Judaism.

There's no nonsense there, Harel. You can't reconcile the two Jewish Messiah's into one person. If you think you can without a second coming, try it.

Spartan

That doesn't answer your claim of "rabbis" saying the messiah is god. Those are not rabbis, my friend. Christian priests, through and through.

You're welcome to your opinion. Biblically-based Messianic rabbis are the real deal these days. They support the real Jewish Messiah - Jesus Christ.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
There's no nonsense there, Harel. You can't reconcile the two Jewish Messiah's into one person. If you think you can without a second coming, try it.
So what you're is that Jesus started out as son of Joseph and during his second coming he'll magically become son of David? o_O

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
You're welcome to your opinion. Biblically-based Messianic rabbis are the real deal these days. They support the real Jewish Messiah - Jesus Christ.
Why bother with the term "rabbi"? Priest isn't good enough?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The Messiah has already come. Sorry you missed it.
Can you please tell me and thousands of Jews how one can 'miss' the Messiah?

The Messiah is a King. He will rule over Israel. He will bring peace to Israel. He will gather the ten lost tribes back to Israel and no-one will war against the Jews or harass them anymore. They will be able to study in peace and live according to Torah values. Everyone in the lands round about will know that the G-d of Israel is The G-d and no-one will need to tell anyone about Him.

Please tell me how your messiah did all this without any of your spiritual Israel woo and your 'he'll do it next time' spiel.

Your messiah did absolutely nothing. Nothing whatsoever changed after he appeared. Nothing at all. A new theology was introduced and a new religion, but nothing tangible emerged. All that happened was your religion made up a problem for your messiah to fix, that had never been part of Judaism and is not and never will be.

Please, please, please tell me what Jesus actually did. In real terms. Again, without the spiritual 'he took away our sins' nonsense.

We've missed nothing.

Spartan

The Messiah is a King. He will rule over Israel. He will bring peace to Israel. He will gather the ten lost tribes back to Israel and no-one will war against the Jews or harass them anymore. They will be able to study in peace and live according to Torah values. Everyone in the lands round about will know that the G-d of Israel is The G-d and no-one will need to tell anyone about Him.

Please tell me how your messiah did all this without any of your spiritual Israel woo and your 'he'll do it next time' spiel.

Your messiah did absolutely nothing. Nothing whatsoever changed after he appeared. Nothing at all. A new theology was introduced and a new religion, but nothing tangible emerged. All that happened was your religion made up a problem for your messiah to fix, that had never been part of Judaism and is not and never will be.

Please, please, please tell me what Jesus actually did. In real terms. Again, without the spiritual 'he took away our sins' nonsense.

We've missed nothing.

Yeah, you guys did miss your Messiah. Here's some of the reasons why:

Why Israel Missed its Messiah

Spartan

We've missed nothing.

In addition, there's only two places in the Old Testament that show when the Messiah would appear in history - the 1st century. Here they are:

Until Shiloh Comes

DANIEL'S 70 WEEKS PROPHECY

So you missed the TIME of the Messiah also.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
In addition, there's only two places in the Old Testament that show when the Messiah would appear in history - the 1st century. Here they are:

Until Shiloh Comes

DANIEL'S 70 WEEKS PROPHECY

So you missed the TIME of the Messiah also.
You haven't responded to any of my points.

Tell me what he did that I don't need to believe.

Tell me about the world peace he brought.

Tell me about the King he was.

Go on!

How many times can tell you? You cannot miss the Messiah. When he comes it will be obvious.

Last edited:

Spartan

You haven't responded to any of my points.

Tell me what he did that I don't need to believe.

Tell me about the world peace he brought.

Tell me about the King he was.

Go on!

The Millennial reign of Jesus is still to come.

The Resurrection of Jesus Christ is the key.

Bust the Resurrection - if you can. That's the crux of it. Let's see you try.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Bust the Resurrection - if you can. That's the crux of it. Let's see you try.
Why? Even if he were resurrected what does that prove? So was the widow's son whom Eliyahu resurrected. So was Lazarus, in your scripture. Eliyahu didn't even die, G-d just took him right up to Heaven.

The Tanakh never says the Messiah will die and be resurrected. So I don't care if Jesus rose from the dead 7 times.

rosends

Before this veers too far off topic, I'll just point out that it is conversations like this that Jews find weird. The use of gospel texts to try and convince Jews of anything. The attempt to select Jewish texts and tell Jews what they mean. The practice not of touting why any other religion is right, but the insistence on why Judaism and the ideas of Jews about Judaism are wrong. That's strange.