• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do Jews find strange about Christianity and why.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I haven't said those things aren't important, but -

The scripture says and it shall come to pass that whosoever shall call on the name of YHWH shall be saved. Joel 2:32 That sounds very important to me.
All I can share is what I've been taught. YMMV.

In Judaism the focus is not on salvation. The focus is much more on return, T'shuvah. If a person doesn't do the work of T'shuvah, calling the name is as meaningful as birdsong. Beautiful but hollow. Without substance.

TrueBeliever37

Well, you went to the link and said you tried to read it. The answer to the years is explained in that link. If you can't read all the way to the end, and then research basic topics in Jewish history, then you shouldn't be surprised that you come to different conclusions. It isn't arguing as much as it is your refusal to see beyond your limited position when confronted with other information.

I went to the link you posted. Read thru that section. Found what he gave as a starting date and finish date. Realized the math doesn't add up. Asked you about it and you refuse to help find the answer to the problem I told you about. Not my problem anymore. If you want to just ignore it that's up to you.

rosends

I went to the link you posted. Read thru that section. Found what he gave as a starting date and finish date. Realized the math doesn't add up. Asked you about it and you refuse to help find the answer to the problem I told you about. Not my problem anymore. If you want to just ignore it that's up to you.
I'm not ignoring -- I'm encouraging you to read the whole thing. You "realize" something which is explained in the article. Here is what the article says
"Although there appears to be a discrepancy in chronology between the Jewish and secular Gregorian calendars of 166 years (with the secular dates earlier) it is clear that Jewish record keeping is more reliable and consistent concerning these events. Babylonian calendars changed arbitrarily with every new Babylonian king and limited archeological discoveries often reflect their arbitrary chronology. (According to secular chronology 586 BCE is the year incorrectly associated with the destruction of the first Temple the Jewish)"

Here is some information
The Missing 166 Years

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Do note Jews no longer kill birds for their blood for purification.Think about that when you complain about who changed what.
If I may interject?

I don't think that the offering was "for the blood". Someone reading your description might come to a rather inaccurate impression of the temple sacrifices if they read your description.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I meant it was the end of the 70 weeks of years (490 yrs) prophesied about in Daniel 9:
That entirely depends on when you begin the 70 years (there are mulitple possibilities) and whether you decide that each week is a century. it's all a little to subjective.

Shad

Veteran Member
If I may interject?

I don't think that the offering was "for the blood". Someone reading your description might come to a rather inaccurate impression of the temple sacrifices if they read your description.

I never said the offering was blood. I said it blood was used for purification not a sacrifice.

Leviticus 14:48-53

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I never said the offering was blood. I said it blood was used for purification not a sacrifice.

Leviticus 14:48-53
The blood isn't used for purification. It is part of the ritual, yes, but the blood itself doesn't do the purification. The person... the person purifies themselves through the act of the offering.

I think it's an important distinction. However, you may find it to be banal. It goes back to the idea of T'shuvah. A person can bring a sin offering, sure, but if they do not effect a change of heart, there is no purification... do you see what i mean?

Making the blood the subject, I think, is wrong. But... feel free to ignore my blathering :)

ManSinha

And indeed, since Mt Sinai, ethical monotheism has spread--Christianity, Islam, Baha'i... It has even had its impact on entrenched bases of polytheism such as Hinduism, where Brahman is now seen as the ultimate source of all that is and all the other gods are merely masks of Brahman. Yi Kwan Dao is the second largest religion in Taiwan, embracing one God...

Perhaps a small interjection - the Bhagvad Gita was arguably composed around the same time as the TaNaKh

In verse 7:22 Krishna says

sa tayā śhraddhayā yuktas tasyārādhanam īhate
labhate cha tataḥ kāmān mayaiva vihitān hi tān

Endowed with faith, the devotee worships a particular celestial god and obtains the objects of desire. But in reality I alone arrange these benefits.

Many find that a clear nod to panentheism - the Lord is in everything and everything is in the Lord - IOW you may get some argument that Judaism led the way on the acknowledgment of a single Supreme Divine.....

IndigoChild5559

Perhaps a small interjection - the Bhagvad Gita was arguably composed around the same time as the TaNaKh

In verse 7:22 Krishna says

sa tayā śhraddhayā yuktas tasyārādhanam īhate
labhate cha tataḥ kāmān mayaiva vihitān hi tān

Endowed with faith, the devotee worships a particular celestial god and obtains the objects of desire. But in reality I alone arrange these benefits.

Many find that a clear nod to panentheism - the Lord is in everything and everything is in the Lord - IOW you may get some argument that Judaism led the way on the acknowledgment of a single Supreme Divine.....
Thank you for sharing this.

TrueBeliever37

That entirely depends on when you begin the 70 years (there are mulitple possibilities) and whether you decide that each week is a century. it's all a little to subjective.
If you understand that the end of the 490 years culminated with the destruction of Jerusalem at 70 AD, then you back up 490 years and you know it had to start at 420 BCE.

TrueBeliever37

I'm not ignoring -- I'm encouraging you to read the whole thing. You "realize" something which is explained in the article. Here is what the article says
"Although there appears to be a discrepancy in chronology between the Jewish and secular Gregorian calendars of 166 years (with the secular dates earlier) it is clear that Jewish record keeping is more reliable and consistent concerning these events. Babylonian calendars changed arbitrarily with every new Babylonian king and limited archeological discoveries often reflect their arbitrary chronology. (According to secular chronology 586 BCE is the year incorrectly associated with the destruction of the first Temple the Jewish)"

Here is some information
The Missing 166 Years

Thanks for finally sending something. I will read thru it better when I have a chance. But on first glance it makes the dates I gave look pretty accurate. I had said the 490 years started at 420 BCE and ended at 70 AD.

Last edited:

Ebionite

The blood isn't used for purification. It is part of the ritual, yes, but the blood itself doesn't do the purification. The person... the person purifies themselves through the act of the offering.

I think it's an important distinction. However, you may find it to be banal. It goes back to the idea of T'shuvah. A person can bring a sin offering, sure, but if they do not effect a change of heart, there is no purification... do you see what i mean?

Making the blood the subject, I think, is wrong. But... feel free to ignore my blathering :)

In related verses, the practice and consent of the people of the covenant was intangible, and the blood was a tangible token of that:

And he took the book of the covenant, and read in the audience of the people: and they said, All that YHWH hath said will we do, and be obedient.
And Moses took the blood, and sprinkled it on the people, and said, Behold the blood of the covenant, which YHWH hath made with you concerning all these words.
Exodus 24:7-8

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
In related verses, the practice and consent of the people of the covenant was intangible, and the blood was a tangible token of that:

And he took the book of the covenant, and read in the audience of the people: and they said, All that YHWH hath said will we do, and be obedient.
And Moses took the blood, and sprinkled it on the people, and said, Behold the blood of the covenant, which YHWH hath made with you concerning all these words.
Exodus 24:7-8
Do we agree that blood is not purifying in the Korbanot?

IndigoChild5559

If you understand that the end of the 490 years culminated with the destruction of Jerusalem at 70 AD, then you back up 490 years and you know it had to start at 420 BCE.
Seriously? I'm so sorry, but now you are reasoning in a circular fashion, deciding first that it culminates in the destruction of the Temple, and then figuring it backwards!!!! I mean, really!!!

You know, most Christians do the same logical error, but they figure backwards from the crucifixion.

Last edited:

TrueBeliever37

Seriously? I'm so sorry, but now you are reasoning in a circular fashion, deciding first that it culminates in the destruction of the Temple, and then figuring it backwards!!!! I mean, really!!!

You know, most Christians do the same logical error, but they figure backwards from the crucifixion.

Surely you can tell it ends with the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans at 70 AD. If not we really don't even have enough in common to discuss it any further. Even the link given by rosends seemed to agree that it ended with the desolation of Jerusalem.

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Surely you can tell it ends with the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans at 70 AD. If not we really don't even have enough in common to discuss it any further. Even the link given by rosends seemed to agree that it ended with the desolation of Jerusalem.
No, TrueBeliever, I can't. I have no opinion on when it will end. It may be the destruction of the Temple or the desolation of Jerusalem. Or it may have not yet come to pass. What I'm saying is that:
1. We don't know when the date to begin the count is.
2. We can't be sure that each week is a hundred years.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
when 1+1+1=1 then yes there is a problem

Maybe it depends through what lense you see it? If you are looking at it as a mathematical equation it doesn't make sense. But who said one must see it like that?

The problem is that when looking at the scriptures neither unitarianism or western trinitarianism makes sense when looking at the texts.

When looking at other religions and the nature of their gods and how they interacted then we possibly see how the relationship between Jesus, the Holy Spirit and God work according to the bible.

It baffles me that believers think that the nature of God must make sense to them when the bible books themselves doesn't go into depth about the topic.