• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do Jews find strange about Christianity and why.

rosends

The text and Hebrew is persuasive to me. However other authorities on Hebrew are disagreeing with you. The name is coming from a root word of YHWH, and a root word regarding salvation. Hoshea's name was changed to YHWSH which means YHWH is Salvation.
See, you were doing so well until you made this last claim, one which, as I have pointed out, is unprovable and not in line with other uses of names textually. You can feel free to say that it "could" mean that, or that you think that if it meant that, that would be neat-o, but to say "which means" is just plain wrong.

I believe you are so against the possibility of YHWSH being the Messiah, you will fight against anything that would even remotely indicate that.
I believe that you are so fixated on your need to justify your belief that you will ignore text, precedent, logic and any/all arguments which put your blind faith claim in doubt.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
He is my God. I know quite a bit about him.
I don't doubt it. But this 4 letter name, there's a lot to it. I just hope that you will consider that your current knowledge-base on The Name would benefit from listening to other's point of view. There's an old saying, "Ya don't know what ya don't know." It's true for everyone...

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
@TrueBeliever37 ,

Examples:

What is the meaning of the yud? The vav? Why 2 letter hei's? What does it all mean? There's been a lot of writing on this subject. You might want to check it out.

TrueBeliever37

@TrueBeliever37 ,

Examples:

What is the meaning of the yud? The vav? Why 2 letter hei's? What does it all mean? There's been a lot of writing on this subject. You might want to check it out.

I prefer to see what the scripture says on a subject. The people you are wanting me to listen too, don't even know for sure how to pronounce the name anymore. They don't say the name. They have abandoned the use of the name. God wanted his great name and his power known throughout all the earth. Exodus 9:16 David said YHWH was to be praised. How are you going to do that by avoiding his name?

TrueBeliever37

I don't doubt it. But this 4 letter name, there's a lot to it. I just hope that you will consider that your current knowledge-base on The Name would benefit from listening to other's point of view. There's an old saying, "Ya don't know what ya don't know." It's true for everyone...

To me view points don't matter. The only thing that matters is what the word of God says on the subject.

TrueBeliever37

See, you were doing so well until you made this last claim, one which, as I have pointed out, is unprovable and not in line with other uses of names textually. You can feel free to say that it "could" mean that, or that you think that if it meant that, that would be neat-o, but to say "which means" is just plain wrong.

I believe that you are so fixated on your need to justify your belief that you will ignore text, precedent, logic and any/all arguments which put your blind faith claim in doubt.

It is just plain wrong for you to say it doesn't mean that. I think you know it can mean exactly what I said. You have just been unwilling to acknowledge it. Say that it is impossible to mean what I said it meant.

rosends

It is just plain wrong for you to say it doesn't mean that.

Why is that wrong? Do you know otherwise? No one does, so to say unequivocally that it means something IS WRONG.
I think you know it can mean exactly what I said.
"Can"??? That's the point -- it only "can" but that doesn't mean it DOES and that's your claim. Sat that it is possible that it DOESN'T. You already have by saying "can".

TrueBeliever37

Why is that wrong? Do you know otherwise? No one does, so to say unequivocally that it means something IS WRONG.

"Can"??? That's the point -- it only "can" but that doesn't mean it DOES and that's your claim. Sat that it is possible that it DOESN'T. You already have by saying "can".

I think I am done. We are not getting anywhere. We just disagree with each other.

As far as the meaning of the name. I feel like I gave proof for what I said with p.221 in the Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew-English Lexicon. I haven't seen proof of what you said other than just your say so.

We discussed the 490 years in Daniel chapter 9. You referred me to a link, which I went to. I pointed out there seemed to be a problem with the math, and asked you to explain. You either couldn't or wouldn't explain. Because if it started at 586 BCE and ends at 70 AD. That is more than 490 years.

No need to continue if it is just going to be arguing.

Last edited:

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
It seems like you are just trying to cause trouble. I wasn't even discussing anything with you. When I say God's word matters to me, it is the same to me, as saying what he thinks matters to me.
So the only point of view that matters to you is Gods point of view?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
They have abandoned the use of the name.
There's more ways to use a name other than saying it.
God wanted his great name and his power known throughout all the earth.
Let's say I agree with you. Do you acknowledge that this is one thing that God wants among many others? Is there any reason to focus more on this than, say... caring for the orphan and the widow?
David said YHWH was to be praised. How are you going to do that by avoiding his name?
Unification

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
To me view points don't matter. The only thing that matters is what the word of God says on the subject.
Is the word of God, in this case in Hebrew? Are you talking about the words of the Torah?

Or is there other scripture which you believe to be the word of God?

TrueBeliever37

So the only point of view that matters to you is Gods point of view?
What I mean is that opinions of man don't really matter. What matters is what God has said in his word. God's view and opinion on things is what is going to matter. He is the judge and will have the final say.