• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Do Christians Think Of Astral Projection?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Hello, I am not here to start any debates or arguments because I know this topic is kind of broad. Some think it's evil some think its okay.

The reason I am posting this is because I am getting into Astral Projection, I see it as something that is not evil and that could actually help you get closer to god.

There are many mentions of it in the bible and nothing says it is bad, there are even many of the main characters that have had Out Of Body Experience stories. The only thing I see that people can relate to it as being bad is the fact that in the bible it says "Occult or Witchcraft is evil". However if you look up what an "Occult" or "Witchcraft" it has to do with demon worship and summoning. This is not Astral Projection at all.

So I am curious, what do other Christians think of Astral Projection? And if you think it is bad, why do you think it is bad and where did you learn that it was bad?

Thanks everyone!

Are you asking this question from the theology of Christianity or Christians?

PearlSeeker

There was also a similar thread:

astral projection is biblical

I posted there:

There is a documented 200 years old question and a reply by a rabbi. It's about about energy work and various phenomena in hypnosis (trance). I think it can also apply to astral projection and other "paranormal" phenomena and latent abilities.

"Rabbi Ettlinger’s opinion is that the practitioners’ attempts to explain the various phenomena naturalistically make these treatments halakhically permissible, and he distinguishes between these practices, on the one hand, and the use of Forces of Impurity or names of foreign deities, on the other."

Source:
Reiser D. Mesmerism, Hypnosis and Jewish Mystics in Vienna in the Early Twentieth Century
https://ef.huji.ac.il/sites/default/files/europe/files/daniel_reiser_for_web.pdf

While I think these practices are acceptable there has to be a distinction between occult (hidden) and spiritual. Seeking occult knowledge and miraculous powers is not the same as spiritual seeking. As Paul said:

"If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing." (1 Cor 13)

Sometimes even spiritual goods renounced for God's sake are greater good:

If a man were in an ecstasy as St. Paul was (2 Corinthians 12:2-4), and if he knew of a sick person who needed a bowl of soup from him, I would consider it far better if you were to leave that rapture out of love and help the needy person out of greater love. (Meister Eckhart)

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
My answer to this is you wont really know until you project yourself. Me I have projected on accident many times and you can really tell that it is not a dream. I even tested it at one point and had my brother write down 4 numbers on a paper in his room (I did not know what these numbers were). I projected went to his room read the numbers and came back. I relayed what I saw and the numbers to him after and he freaked out, I was spot on. There are other studies from Robert Monroe and Willian Buhlman doing the same things. Projecting, seeing friends and what they were doing and then coming back and confirming with them to see if he was correct. With no prior knowledge of what they were doing, and he was pretty much able to get it correct every time. There is a very clear and distinct difference between dream and astral. And you will only really know if you leave your body.
I wonder why they don't get useful information, like bank account numbers, passwords, valuable proprietary information, where criminals are and what they are up to? But four numbers. Wooooo! Heady stuff.

PearlSeeker

I wonder why they don't get useful information, like bank account numbers, passwords, valuable proprietary information, where criminals are and what they are up to? But four numbers. Wooooo! Heady stuff.
Monroe Institute was developing a program for CIA. It included OBE and remote seeing... Results were not reliable enough to be useful for their purposes...

Frank Goad

Hello, I am not here to start any debates or arguments because I know this topic is kind of broad. Some think it's evil some think its okay.

The reason I am posting this is because I am getting into Astral Projection, I see it as something that is not evil and that could actually help you get closer to god.

There are many mentions of it in the bible and nothing says it is bad, there are even many of the main characters that have had Out Of Body Experience stories. The only thing I see that people can relate to it as being bad is the fact that in the bible it says "Occult or Witchcraft is evil". However if you look up what an "Occult" or "Witchcraft" it has to do with demon worship and summoning. This is not Astral Projection at all.

So I am curious, what do other Christians think of Astral Projection? And if you think it is bad, why do you think it is bad and where did you learn that it was bad?

Thanks everyone!

I heard that while using astral projection you can do divination.If that is so.Then why don't people who have divination in their astral projections.Use it to know the ultimate way to prove it to non believers?Like jws for example.;) Because if you read Daniel 12:2 it makes it sound like the dead can not leave their bodies.

Last edited:

Frank Goad

Thanks everyone!

I want to leave my body too.My method is praying to jesus over and over to help me have one.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I want to leave my body too.My method is praying to jesus over and over to help me have one.
Have you at any time enjoyed punching the wind Frank? Do you think it makes sense for someone to repeatedly punch the wind?
Praying to Jesus over and over for something that he would never grant us, not to mention that he isn't even paying any attention to, since he said, to ask the Father, in Jesus name... is equivalent to repeatedly punching the wind.

Did Jesus not say this? Then why do you think disobeying what he said, and insisting on what we want, regardless... is wise?
Please read Matthew 15:7-9

...The reason I am posting this is because I am getting into Astral Projection, I see it as something that is not evil and that could actually help you get closer to god....

What does it mean to you and why it is helpful to you?

I think Bible is the best way to get closer to God, because it gives good understanding of matters.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Whenever you engage in deep spiritual opening, you have to protect yourself from negativity. I, as a clergy person, am fine with it, but it’s like playing with guns. It’s serious business that requires focus, clarity, and intent if you want it to work without biting you in the butt. I’d only advise undertaking the practice with the guidance of a trustworthy spiritual mentor.

Kelly of the Phoenix

I mean, technically, didn't Jesus pull that off occasionally?

Once you open certain doors you have no way of knowing what you're letting yourself in for
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil. :)

Human beings have no power to project astrally on their own and God does not give people the ability for astral projection because there is no valid reason or purpose.
There's not much valid reason or purpose to most miraculous acts. Most of it's just for show.

So basically you are not saying it's "evil" but just to be prepared and protect yourself just in case?
If you're going on a hike, don't forget clothes and water and stuff. :)

Every since I realized I am in control I havent seen anything scary since..
"Demons" can't stand it when you realize you're more powerful than them. :)

Are we not warned by God, not to practice divination?
What do you think prophets did?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

Thanks everyone!
how do you think Jesus knew Zacchaeus was in the tree and called him by name

nPeace

Veteran Member
There’s a recipe for either disaster or lack of anything worthwhile.
I already am aware of the opinions you hold sojourner. No harm done your sharing it... again, though.

What do you think prophets did?
According to the Bible, the faithful prophets sought God's help, while the unfaithful sought answers through divination. Perhaps you think I missed something... Please feel free to share it.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I already am aware of the opinions you hold sojourner. No harm done your sharing it... again, though.
Great! You can be sure that I shall continue to do so wherever the spectre of irresponsible interpretation raises it's ugly head.

InChrist

Free4ever
There's not much valid reason or purpose to most miraculous acts. Most of it's just for show.
Actually, from the biblical perspective there are valid reasons for miracles. They demonstrate the power and reality of God to humanity. In the New Testament the miracles validated the Person of Jesus Christ as the Son of God and promised Messiah. When the gospel has spread throughout history to new areas, miraculous signs often accompany it giving validation and demonstrating the power of God through Jesus the Savior.

If some claim miracles for the sake of miracles, then I would agree, they are nothing more than mere show. There have been plenty of those so-called ( fake ) miracles, which do nothing to glorify God or demonstrate His power at all.