• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Do Christians Think Of Astral Projection?

Jesse Carr

Hello, I am not here to start any debates or arguments because I know this topic is kind of broad. Some think it's evil some think its okay.

The reason I am posting this is because I am getting into Astral Projection, I see it as something that is not evil and that could actually help you get closer to god.

There are many mentions of it in the bible and nothing says it is bad, there are even many of the main characters that have had Out Of Body Experience stories. The only thing I see that people can relate to it as being bad is the fact that in the bible it says "Occult or Witchcraft is evil". However if you look up what an "Occult" or "Witchcraft" it has to do with demon worship and summoning. This is not Astral Projection at all.

So I am curious, what do other Christians think of Astral Projection? And if you think it is bad, why do you think it is bad and where did you learn that it was bad?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Hello, I am not here to start any debates or arguments because I know this topic is kind of broad. Some think it's evil some think its okay.

The reason I am posting this is because I am getting into Astral Projection, I see it as something that is not evil and that could actually help you get closer to god. However, my mother who is Christian thinks it is evil and that I am summoning demons or something crazy.

There are many mentions of it in the bible and nothing says it is bad, there are even many of the main characters that have had Out Of Body Experience stories. The only thing I see that people can relate to it as being bad is the fact that in the bible it says "Occult or Witchcraft is evil". However if you look up what an "Occult" or "Witchcraft" it has to do with demon worship and summoning. This is not Astral Projection at all.

So I am curious, what do other Christians think of Astral Projection? And if you think it is bad, why do you think it is bad and where did you learn that it was bad?

Thanks everyone!
I think you should stay well clear...

Once you open certain doors you have no way of knowing what you're letting yourself in for

Christianity takes a dim view of such things for good reasons

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member

The reason I am posting this is because I am getting into Astral Projection, I see it as something that is not evil and that could actually help you get closer to god. However, my mother who is Christian thinks it is evil and that I am summoning demons or something crazy.

Thanks everyone!
Those Christians with a science education will think it is bunk anyway, so it won't bother them unduly.

GoodbyeDave

Christianity takes a dim view of such things for good reasons
Astral projection is simply a voluntary out-of-the-body experience, and the latter is as natural as dreaming — where's the problem? I suspect those who have a problem are the sort of fundamentalists who have a problem with everything.

Those Christians with a science education will think it is bunk anyway, so it won't bother them unduly.
I have a scientific education and I don't find it bunk, anymore than the professional scientists who've studied it in departments of parapsychology. I think that you are confusing science with scientism — now that is bunk.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Astral projection is simply a voluntary out-of-the-body experience, and the latter is as natural as dreaming — where's the problem? I suspect those who have a problem are the sort of fundamentalists who have a problem with everything.

I have a scientific education and I don't find it bunk, anymore than the professional scientists who've studied it in departments of parapsychology. I think that you are confusing science with scientism — now that is bunk.
I quote the Wiki article on Astral Projection:

"The idea of astral travel is ancient and occurs in multiple cultures. The modern terminology of 'astral projection' was coined and promoted by 19th century Theosophists.[3] It is sometimes reported in association with dreams, and forms of meditation.[6] Some individuals have reported perceptions similar to descriptions of astral projection that were induced through various hallucinogenic and hypnotic means (including self-hypnosis). There is no scientific evidence that there is a consciousness or soul which is separate from normal neural activity or that one can consciously leave the body and make observations,[7] and astral projection has been characterized as a pseudoscience.[8][9][10][11][12][13][14]."

The only thing close to a "department of parapsychology" I can find is the Koestler Unit at Edinburgh. This seems to focus on looking at a range of alleged parapsychological phenomena from the viewpoint of psychology, viz. what people think they perceive and why. Nothing I can see there suggests scientists accepting astral projection as real.

Christians with a science education will be pretty dismissive of it.

InChrist

Free4ever

Thanks everyone!
I learned that it was evil well before I was ever a Christian. Not through doing it myself, but through a very close encounter with others who were. The demonic entities present there were unmistakable and undeniable.
Human beings have no power to project astrally on their own and God does not give people the ability for astral projection because there is no valid reason or purpose. So if someone is practicing astral projection the source of such power is demonic, in my view.
I think your mom is correct, but more importantly, I think a thorough study of the scriptures on the subject would show this.

nPeace

Veteran Member

Thanks everyone!
There are many mentions of it in the bible?
I have never seen any, but I assume you showed your mom those scriptures. Can you please show me one?

Jesse Carr

My general rule of thumb is: Never go anywhere voluntarily unless you know you have enough gas in your car, or enough money to get you home, or can walk back in a day without crossing water, a desert, or mountains, and you have a map.

So basically you are not saying it's "evil" but just to be prepared and protect yourself just in case?

Jesse Carr

I learned that it was evil well before I was ever a Christian. Not through doing it myself, but through a very close encounter with others who were. The demonic entities present there were unmistakable and undeniable.
Human beings have no power to project astrally on their own and God does not give people the ability for astral projection because there is no valid reason or purpose. So if someone is practicing astral projection the source of such power is demonic, in my view.
I think your mom is correct, but more importantly, I think a thorough study of the scriptures on the subject would show this.

Okay but if you looked into AP more and studied it you would find that a lot of demonic experiences have to do with the fact that people just simply can't control their thoughts and don't realize that in these other states of consciousness thought is very powerful and can manifest itself. People say the same thing about Sleep Paralysis saying demons will attack you. But from personal experience every scary experience I have had I created myself with my thoughts. How do I know? Because I could literally see something scary or what I thought to be a demon and then turn it into whatever I wanted. Every since I realized I am in control I havent seen anything scary since..

Jesse Carr

I have never seen any, but I assume you showed your mom those scriptures. Can you please show me one?
Many parts in the bible talk about "in spirit" is a reference to literally being in spirit. Of course not all, but revelations could be viewed as an out of body experience. Lot's of references in the bible point to the fact that you need to believe in mind, body and spirit. In my opinion AP is a form of spirit. Now of course other references of "spirit" as in "the spirit" mean as in the holy spirit or god. Very confusing I know but if you look up each definition of "in spirit" when it is used you will see it is used to reference many different things. Also there are parts in the bible that talk of god visiting in visions. This is a form of Lucid Dreaming where god or jesus would come visit people in a dream. Which is also a form of Astral Projection, it is just projecting inward instead of outward.

Jesse Carr

Also I forgot which point in the bible this was, somewhere in the beginning. But when Jesus was baptized and had that experience of encountering satan and satan trying to trick him. This is could also be seen as an out of body experience and he was learning to control his fears. While he was being baptized he was held under to the point of having a near death experience where he found himself in the astrals or out of body. Re-read it with an open mind of it being an out of body experience and that he is facing his fears. You will notice that it being an out of body experience does make alot of sense.

Jesse Carr

I quote the Wiki article on Astral Projection:

"The idea of astral travel is ancient and occurs in multiple cultures. The modern terminology of 'astral projection' was coined and promoted by 19th century Theosophists.[3] It is sometimes reported in association with dreams, and forms of meditation.[6] Some individuals have reported perceptions similar to descriptions of astral projection that were induced through various hallucinogenic and hypnotic means (including self-hypnosis). There is no scientific evidence that there is a consciousness or soul which is separate from normal neural activity or that one can consciously leave the body and make observations,[7] and astral projection has been characterized as a pseudoscience.[8][9][10][11][12][13][14]."

The only thing close to a "department of parapsychology" I can find is the Koestler Unit at Edinburgh. This seems to focus on looking at a range of alleged parapsychological phenomena from the viewpoint of psychology, viz. what people think they perceive and why. Nothing I can see there suggests scientists accepting astral projection as real.

Christians with a science education will be pretty dismissive of it.
My answer to this is you wont really know until you project yourself. Me I have projected on accident many times and you can really tell that it is not a dream. I even tested it at one point and had my brother write down 4 numbers on a paper in his room (I did not know what these numbers were). I projected went to his room read the numbers and came back. I relayed what I saw and the numbers to him after and he freaked out, I was spot on. There are other studies from Robert Monroe and Willian Buhlman doing the same things. Projecting, seeing friends and what they were doing and then coming back and confirming with them to see if he was correct. With no prior knowledge of what they were doing, and he was pretty much able to get it correct every time. There is a very clear and distinct difference between dream and astral. And you will only really know if you leave your body.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Many parts in the bible talk about "in spirit" is a reference to literally being in spirit. Of course not all, but revelations could be viewed as an out of body experience. Lot's of references in the bible point to the fact that you need to believe in mind, body and spirit. In my opinion AP is a form of spirit. Now of course other references of "spirit" as in "the spirit" mean as in the holy spirit or god. Very confusing I know but if you look up each definition of "in spirit" when it is used you will see it is used to reference many different things. Also there are parts in the bible that talk of god visiting in visions. This is a form of Lucid Dreaming where god or jesus would come visit people in a dream. Which is also a form of Astral Projection, it is just projecting inward instead of outward.
So there are not many mentions of Astral projection in the Bible. Just people interpret many passages in the Bible to mean Astral projection. I understand, that explains your belief. Thanks.

Those passages are understood differently by different people.
Can you explain more specifically what leads you to believe that some part of the person left their body... what part is that, and what scriptures you would say, support your belief.

nPeace

Veteran Member
My answer to this is you wont really know until you project yourself. Me I have projected on accident many times and you can really tell that it is not a dream. I even tested it at one point and had my brother write down 4 numbers on a paper in his room (I did not know what these numbers were). I projected went to his room read the numbers and came back. I relayed what I saw and the numbers to him after and he freaked out, I was spot on. There are other studies from Robert Monroe and Willian Buhlman doing the same things. Projecting, seeing friends and what they were doing and then coming back and confirming with them to see if he was correct. With no prior knowledge of what they were doing, and he was pretty much able to get it correct every time. There is a very clear and distinct difference between dream and astral. And you will only really know if you leave your body.
This reminds me of the examples of divination in the Bible. Are we not warned by God, not to practice divination? So why do you think it is a good thing, just because you can do it? Does the fact you can do it, make it right?
Have you ever come across Rex Church, and heard what he does?
Is God pleased with any practice he condemns?

Terry Sampson

So basically you are not saying it's "evil" but just to be prepared and protect yourself just in case?
  • I've never done it myself and have never personally known anybody who has.
  • I am familiar with stories about Padre Pio's "bilocations", i.e. being in two places at the same time (See Bilocation)
    • I've never seen anyone refer to his "bilocations" as APs, so I'm not absolutely certain that what occurs in both is the same thing.
    • Padre Pio's bilocations were consequences of his closeness to the Lord, something I suspect that you may be lacking a few years of experience in, with all due respect.
  • Jesus' temptation by Satan was something no one ought to be trying to undergo. 1st rule of life: "Don't go looking for Satan, 'cause he makes a nasty dance partner."
  • I checked William Bulman and see that he actually offers/offered a 6-day workshop.
  • Right now, I'm inclined to think you're just having fun with the experiences that you've had messing with other folks' minds. Get past that attitude.