• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What did you think of, when this happened?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I know it's a delicate story...but what do you guys think of this piece of news of the nineties?
I guess together with the Clinton-Lewinsky affair, it's the most emblematic moment of the nineties.

Don't be prude. Be as frank and blunt as possible.:p;)

John and Lorena Bobbitt - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I know it's a delicate story...but what do you guys think of this piece of news of the nineties?
I guess together with the Clinton-Lewinsky affair, it's the most emblematic moment of the nineties.

John and Lorena Bobbitt - Wikipedia

I'm not sure if this (or even the Clinton-Lewinsky affair) is the most emblematic moment of the nineties. I would think the fall of the USSR would be more significant, along with the US passage of NAFTA. Ruby Ridge, the Waco Massacre, and the OKC bombing were also key turning points in the 90s which directly connect to the political dissension we're facing now.

As for the Bobbitts, that whole situation seemed the butt of jokes, just like Buttafuoco, where even the name itself produced gales of laughter.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I'm not sure if this (or even the Clinton-Lewinsky affair) is the most emblematic moment of the nineties. I would think the fall of the USSR would be more significant, along with the US passage of NAFTA. Ruby Ridge, the Waco Massacre, and the OKC bombing were also key turning points in the 90s which directly connect to the political dissension we're facing now.

As for the Bobbitts, that whole situation seemed the butt of jokes, just like Buttafuoco, where even the name itself produced gales of laughter.
LOL...
You know...I was pronouncing Buttafuoco the Italian way, in my mind (it's a real surname in Italy)...so I wasn't understanding the joke.
Then I pronounced it the American way,,....and I burst out laughing...:p:p:p

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
LOL...
You know...I was pronouncing Buttafuoco the Italian way, in my mind (it's a real surname in Italy)...so I wasn't understanding the joke.
Then I pronounced it the American way,,....and I burst out laughing...:p:p:p

Another thing of the 90s - the Buttafuoco song was played over and over on Comedy Central for a time:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I was very little...so I wasn't capable of understanding why people would giggle when the Bobbitt case was just mentioned or brought up.
Then I grew up and I found the story incredibly weird...
for example...as soon as I saw John Bobbitt's picture in his uniform...I was shocked.
And I said to myself: "why is life so unjust??? Why didn't I marry him? I wouldn't have minded"...:oops:

:p

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Clinton-Lewinski? Much ado about nothing; a private, family affair. Typical behavior of men in power.

The same high testosterone levels that drive their ambition for power also drive a high libido.

I was more concerned about the NAFTA debate, which had real consequences.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Clinton-Lewinski? Much ado about nothing; a private, family affair. Typical behavior of men in power.

The same high testosterone levels that drive their ambition for power also drive a high libido.

I was more concerned about the NAFTA debate, which had real consequences.

I think that if Bill Clinton had had an affair with a male intern, the American people wouldn't have given a da...beeep.
Zero. Nada.

I guess Americans are obsessed with heterosexual marital infidelity...
whenever a heterosexual man cheats on his wife.
That's just my impression. ;)

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

First 90 seconds made it easy to answer

Good on her

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Well..it's something unusual...disturbingly weird.
I mean...if you have enough of your own husband.,...you divorce him.
At least...that's what most women do.

It's definitely disturbing. It seemed to attract the attention of those who take a special interest in gender politics.

It did put this otherwise unknown couple's marital problems into the national spotlight, largely because the bizarre nature of the incident in question.

Its lurid nature also feeds into a certain quasi-voyeuristic element existent in our culture, which is somewhat depraved, in and of itself. Moreover, for it turn into what amounts to a national joke over what sounds like a very painful mutilation and disfigurement is also a sign of a rather sick and depraved culture. But it is what it is, I suppose.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It's definitely disturbing. It seemed to attract the attention of those who take a special interest in gender politics.

It did put this otherwise unknown couple's marital problems into the national spotlight, largely because the bizarre nature of the incident in question.

Its lurid nature also feeds into a certain quasi-voyeuristic element existent in our culture, which is somewhat depraved, in and of itself. Moreover, for it turn into what amounts to a national joke over what sounds like a very painful mutilation and disfigurement is also a sign of a rather sick and depraved culture. But it is what it is, I suppose.
From a juridical and judicial point of view, we are still speaking of a crime. A crime has been committed by a woman.
The attenuating circumstances are very few because he was asleep and she could have fled. She could have gone to the police.
The US criminal law does not allow people to take matters into their hands.

She should have divorced him immediately so he could have remarried.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
As for the Bobbitts, that whole situation seemed the butt of jokes, just like Buttafuoco

Those are two humorous and bawdy aprtonyms, or last names that are oddly prophetic. Another one is Anthony Weiner

Less funnily, we also have tennis star Margaret Court, astronaut Sally Ride, footballer Jim Kiick, sprinter Usain Bolt, golfer Tiger Woods, genius Marilyn vos Savant, and former White House press secretary Larry Speakes

Those are all landmark events that characterize the nineties. Domestic terrorism was a thing then and is again today (Jan 6, intimidating school boards and election workers, Q-Anon), but the Clinton impeachment stands out for me as the most important element on your list, and I would add two more (see below).

The Clinton impeachment was the death of forbearance in American politics. This was the rise of Newt Gingrich and the beginning of the death knell for inter-party civility, Forbearance refers to the idea that even though the parties had different ideas of what would lead to a safe, prosperous future for Americans, they were both still trying to accomplish that somewhat cooperatively. The two parties both respected the Constitution, showed one another mutual respect, acknowledged that the other party not only had a right to participate and should be treated as friend and loyal opposition, but played an important role in governance of the nation just as gas and brake, though opposite, are each necessary in concert to successfully move the vehicle forward. Those were the days when unity and bipartisanship were not just possible, but common, and productive.

That's all gone for good now, I believe. Every prominent Democrat since then has been trashed with loathsome character assassination (both Clintons, Gore, Kerry, Daschle, Reed, Obama, Hillary, Pelosi, and now Biden and Harris). Dragging Bill Clinton over the coals for nothing more than being a Democrat was the shot fired across the bow. It was mean-spirited, and the beginning of party over country for the Republicans. When asked why he chose impeachment over censuring for Clinton, Gingrich answered, "Because we can," which will characterize the Republican's approach to the House in the next two years.

Beside the rise of Newt Gingrich and scorched earth American politics, we also saw the politicization of Christianity (Moral Majority, Falwell) and its merger with the Republican party arise in the 90s.

Also, the incessant propaganda. Technically, the advent of hate radio was earlier - Limbaugh premiered in 1988 and became a player about 1989. But think about how these three brought us to today in a way that

Combine the loss of forbearance with nonstop conservative indoctrination media and a theocratic tendency that has led to the modern Supreme Court, and what we see today is explained.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
From a juridical and judicial point of view, we are still speaking of a crime. A crime has been committed by a woman.
The attenuating circumstances are very few because he was asleep and she could have fled. She could have gone to the police.
The US criminal law does not allow people to take matters into their hands.

She should have divorced him immediately so he could have remarried.

Apparently, she was found not guilty by reason of insanity, and the couple divorced afterwards.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Apparently, she was found not guilty by reason of insanity, and the couple divorced afterwards.
To be precise, we are dealing with a reduced\limited\ partial capability of discernment ( non compos mentis) probably because of the victim's abusive behavior.

By the way the husband was cleared of any accusation, while the wife was sentenced to detention in a psychiatric facility.