• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Did Jesus Actually Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Cite the Jewish scripture that says Jesus' father was a Roman soldier? There isn't one. Just an unfounded rant in a rabbinic commentary. And along with that, where's the evidence to back up that (false) claim?

There are several references in the Talmud

And your evidence to contradict is where?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I challenged you first. Which Gospel prophecy is false? Hop out there. Cite the Gospel scripture of your BEST ONE example.
There. Are. No. Messianic. Prophecies. In. The. Gospels.

And you can't use the gospels to prove the gospels.

giphy.gif

ChristineM

Premium Member
It's not up to you to define the end-times. It's the Bible, which apparently you're not up to speed on. Otherwise you would know when the end times are here. Specific signs of the end-times are listed in scripture - i.e. a third Jewish temple, the appearance of the antichrist, etc., etc.

No but apparently its up to you.

And if you want to continue to insult me then this is going to get very hairy. I day that with the knowledge that a staff member is reading this thread.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Care to substantiate this? I guess those people who spent half their lives in Christianity then converted to another religion just didn't do their research? Jehova's Witnesses who studied daily, or people who went to Bible Schools or those who are former vicars and priests who have left the faith? All ignorant as mud.
First off, let me say that neither do I agree with the post to which your post responded, nor do I particularly agree with your second question. I don't think there's anything magically compelling about the Gospels that COMPELS one to believe them. That smacks of a group of vacant-eyed children chanting: "Join us... Be one of us... "

That said, I do believe there's not a great amount of what I would consider "due diligence" in the pews, or in the ranks of disbelievers. Of course, there is some, as well. "Due diligence" for me, though, probably differs from the definition of the other poster. For me, due diligence includes exegeting the texts with the help of peer-reviewed scholars, in the form of books, lectures, commentaries, articles, etc. It includes literary, historic, anthropological, form, literary, redaction, and other criticism, and little apologetics.

Most people I've come into contact with don't understand the context, circumstances, origins, or theological implications of the texts they either adore or dismiss. It's usually a case of either misapprehension or confirmation bias. I generally find the "exegesis" of Jehovah's Witnesses, for example, weak. I generally find the "analysis" of skeptics much too narrow. That being said, they're entitled to their beliefs, so long as they don't foist that belief upon the rest of us.

There are legitimate reasons for disbelief, and then there are a lot of knee-jerk reactions that lead to disbelief. There's A. LOT. of room for interpretation within the household of Christ.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Unlike you, I'm going by what the scriptures say.

You are going by what a selective copy of hebrew scriptures say and it seems you are making stuff up or misinterpreting it to suite your sensibilities

The bible is not a history book?

ChristineM

Premium Member
The Talmud isn't Jewish scripture. The Tanakh is. The Talmud is rabbinic commentary on scripture. And lot of that is contradictory and bs.

The Talmud is the central text of Rabbinic Judaism and the primary source of Jewish religious law and Jewish theology

And just because it contradicts your selective BS is not my problem

Muffled

Jesus in me
From a historical standpoint, what, in his own lifetime, did Jesus of Nazareth achieve? I am having trouble figuring this out, because I can see objectively that Muhammad had a huge impact upon not only his own society but others, all within his lifetime. That the impact was either good or bad is not my point here, but that had had one. Baha'u'llah had some direct impacts, if small, upon his society. In contrast, I can't think of anything Jesus did that no-one else could have done.

He was born, he preached, he was executed.

This is probably going to turn into an 'It was all Paul not Jesus' thread, but have at it anyway.

I believe He did the following:

He preached the gospel of the Kingdom and ordered it to be preached by His disciples leading to the salvation of millions of people.

He assured us that God loves us by dying for us.

He assured us of God's forgiveness by the seal of His blood.

He prophesied the destruction of the Temple, the dispersion of the Jews, His coming again and the end of the world.

He was raised from the dead in a body that doesn't die as a first fruit of those who will receive eternal life.

He initiated the Paraclete.

Muffled

Jesus in me
This is your belief.

And unlike the Jewish belief that Moshe wrote the Torah and Muahammad gave the Qur'an, Christians do not believe Jesus wrote any of what is ascribed to him.

What did he do objectively?

Supposedly Moses didn't write the Pentateuch. Supposedly Mohammed didn't write the Qu'ran.

Although Jesus didn't write anything, as God He inspired it all.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Nothing special. Even his purported teachings weren't original. Siddhartha's teachings are superior when it comes to establishing a doctrine of tolerance, compassion and methods of dealing with daily life, imo, and he was centuries earlier than Jesus. Jesus had a lot of character flaws, too.

I believe no man is better than God and the Buddha had his blind side.

I believe Jesus is flawless since He is God in the flesh.

ChristineM

Premium Member

I know god is a figment of some humans imagination

I believe jesus was the only illegitimate son of a roman soldier. He grew to become a leading member of the fourth philosophy and one of the feared sicarii assassin's. An agitator and anarchist. He was executed for crimes against the official government.

The jesus of the bible was modeled on John the Baptiser.

We all have our beliefs dont we.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

Why are you telling me this? I don't care about you believe. Don't quote me for no reason. It's annoying that I take time to look my alerts and people aren't even responding to anything I've said.

Spartan

The Talmud is the central text of Rabbinic Judaism and the primary source of Jewish religious law and Jewish theology
And just because it contradicts your selective BS is not my problem

Once again, the Talmud is NOT scripture. So your claim that Jewish SCRIPTURE says that the father of Jesus was a Roman soldier is BS.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Once again, the Talmud is NOT scripture. So your claim that Jewish SCRIPTURE says that the father of Jesus was a Roman soldier is BS.

Yet the Talmud which is a highly valued Jewish work does say that JCs dad was not god.

Status
Not open for further replies.