• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What denomination (for lack of a better word) are you?

What denomination are you?

• Vaishnava

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Shaiva

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Shakta

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Smartha

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ganapatya

• Sauram

• Kaumaram

• Other

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Just wanted to know, if you are comfortable sharing of course!

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Other: Advaita Vedanta (which is more a school of philosophy than a denomination; some may argue that I have no denomination).

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
It generally coincides with Smartha.

Smarta tradition - Wikipedia

Given my lack of involvement with Saguna Brahman, I'm not sure I could accurately identify as Smarta.

It reflects a Hindu synthesis of four philosophical strands: Mimamsa, Advaita, Yoga, and theism.[1] The Smarta tradition rejects theistic sectarianism,[1] and it is notable for the domestic worship of five shrines with five deities, all treated as equal – Shiva, Vishnu, Surya, Ganesha, and Shakti.[2]

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Given my lack of involvement with Saguna Brahman, I'm not sure I could accurately identify as Smarta.

It reflects a Hindu synthesis of four philosophical strands: Mimamsa, Advaita, Yoga, and theism.[1] The Smarta tradition rejects theistic sectarianism,[1] and it is notable for the domestic worship of five shrines with five deities, all treated as equal – Shiva, Vishnu, Surya, Ganesha, and Shakti.[2]
That's why I said 'generally'. Aup is no Smarta either, obviously.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Honestly, I don't know. I've always wondered where I fit.

The Smarta tradition is terribly interesting to me, but I don't really know where to begin in seeing if that's the appropriate fit, or what to do about it if it is.

I find inspiration and joy in many different facets within Hinduism. At this point, I just go where I'm drawn.

So, until I know for sure what, if any, specific tradition is appropriate for me, I just identify as 'Hindu', rather than making a fool of myself by saying I'm something I'm not.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Honestly, I don't know. I've always wondered where I fit.

The Smarta tradition is terribly interesting to me, but I don't really know where to begin in seeing if that's the appropriate fit, or what to do about it if it is.

I find inspiration and joy in many different facets within Hinduism. At this point, I just go where I'm drawn.

So, until I know for sure what, if any, specific tradition is appropriate for me, I just identify as 'Hindu', rather than making a fool of myself by saying I'm something I'm not.
A category not on the list, but common is the all encompassing 'village Hindu'.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Can you elaborate more?

I think I know what you mean, but I like to be sure. :)

If you go to rural India, outside of the major temples or centers of education, most folks don't think along sectarian lines at all. They go to temple, they pray to a known God, or a local village protector deity, and they happily go about their business. If you asked then what sect they are, they'd shrug and look at you in sort of a dumbfounded way. Another entire category more common in North India is the Puranic Hindu, whose entire philosophy is based on the Puranas, not the Vedas so much, and the God are all anthropomorphic. But you're not that, I can tell.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
If you go to rural India, outside of the major temples or centers of education, most folks don't think along sectarian lines at all. They go to temple, they pray to a known God, or a local village protector deity, and they happily go about their business. If you asked then what sect they are, they'd shrug and look at you in sort of a dumbfounded way. Another entire category more common in North India is the Puranic Hindu, whose entire philosophy is based on the Puranas, not the Vedas so much, and the God are all anthropomorphic. But you're not that, I can tell.

That makes sense. Thanks for the info. :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Advaita. Self (but self is not a God). I think a village Hindu is a 'Smarta' because he/she will worship any and all Hindu God or Goddess that come along giving equal respect to all.
Perhaps Shaivas, Vaishnavas, and Shaktas too, though not all, can be considered "Pouranic"* unless they have a special philosophy - Siddhantas (Shaiva), Pancharatra (Vaishnavas), or Tantra (Shaktas).
Will welcome views on this ^^.
Correct use: Puranas, and Pouranic (those who follow puranas).

Last edited:

Athrey

As far as I have come to know ,Smarthas are those who want to adhere to , Vedic system and Dharma shastras. Though the other sidhanthas , like shaivism , vaishnavism etc have stemmed from the vedic system and its ideology , they focus more on the adjunct sampradayas (scriptures , procedures)proposed by their own Acharyas..Hence they digress towards it to an extent. This led smarthas to get aligned to Adi Shankara who mastered vedas at the age of 8 and became a sanyasi ,travelled round India to revive the dormant vedic tradition... Nevertheless this ancient wisdom is farfetched in vougue , as we ve gone way too far from it ,and sanskrit is felt as an aliens language in which vedic hymns are written..Any translation leads to misinterpretations and core point is not understood in Letter and Spirit...like . .how most translations of Nachiketas story in kato Upanishad, conveys wrongly that the father of Nachiketas wants to do away with useless things instead that he renounces every material he possess

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
...like . .how most translations of Nachiketas story in kato Upanishad, conveys wrongly that the father of Nachiketas wants to do away with useless things instead that he renounces every material he possess

Perhaps it's because I just took my first sip of coffee, but I'm having difficulty understanding what you're trying to convey here. Are you saying the real meaning is that Vajasravasa renounces his possessions or that he's doing a way with useless things?

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Living in the West, it's more likely to be inspired by a group that proselytizes. I agree mostly with Hare Krishna, except for their philosophy; I believe in Advaita Vedanta. Tried to learn about a personality cult (guru cult) called "Bhakti Marga", marketed as the path to "Love" with a capital L, but I didn't get along with their polytheism. When there are "too many" gods, they become sort of "irrelevant" to me, and the guru remains the "only constant". I was previously in a Tibetan Buddhist group which was the same, and it isn't my cup of tea.
I suppose I am a Puranic Hindu rather than a philosophical one, since in Hare Krishna the Srimad Bhagavatam is considered most significant, even though sometimes they come to silly conclusions due to literalism.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
Advaita is the tradition I've spent most time exploring. I don't know much about the options listed in the OP.

Athrey

Brahman is not an entity one can hold in mind , neither a thought nor an experience.. in essence ,beyond all possibilities of human understanding, and so there is no choice in vedic literature but to let the reader decipher the implied meaning, symbolism , metaphors .. Nirguna Brahman seems a far-fetched reality, so subtle , and too complex for an normal human mind to hold on and meditate. Nevertheless Saguna Brahman (across religion monotheistic ,polytheistic.. whatsoever)comes to rescue ,for a helpless seeker to prepare him/herself to smoothly transit to subtler Nirguna Brahman.
However traditional advaita , do not recommend the vendanta scripture/a yogic practice of for anyone, to embark on . AdiShankaracharya , says 'sadhana chatushtayam' is a precursor, like,Natural tendency of dispassion for any worldly object (akin to the dispassion of adult for toddler toys,) , One pointedness , ( thoughts not hovering over, ...) and so many.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Worship Shiva, Vishnu, Durga, Ganesha, Surya (Sun God). Sankara advocated five. People later added Murugan/Kartikeya, that is when it came to be known as Shanmata (worship of six - Shanmata - Wikipedia). That does not mean that one denies other Gods and Goddesses.

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Worship Shiva, Vishnu, Durga, Ganesha, Surya (Sun God). Sankara advocated five. People later added Murugan/Kartikeya, that is when it came to be known as Shanmata (worship of six). That does not mean that one denies other Gods and Goddesses.

That is pretty much how I feel, though its not as neatly packaged.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That is pretty much how I feel, though its not as neatly packaged.
There is also the concept of 'leaning', which means you can be one sect but leaning towards another. For example, a Smarta whose ishta devata is Vishnu could be said to be a Smarta leaning to Vaishnavism.
The temple you go to is a Smarta temple, although in true Smarta tradition, there would be a central shrine with the 5 or 6 all on it.