• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what christians do

outlawState

Deism is dead
There's a line in Anne of Green Gables where a devoutly religious character criticizes someone for despairing because "to despair is to turn your back on God." That's the spirit I'm going for: if you're being driven by despair for the poor or the hungry, aren't you admitting that you don't trust God?

I mean, the record shows that God probably shouldn't be trusted, but still: hasn't a Christian put their trust in God? Isn't that what faith is?
You're confusing different things. God is trusted for salvation. Of the poor, God said, "The poor you will always have with you, and you can help them any time you want." Mark 14;7.

Moreover the poor in today's society are, if not rich, then at least comfortable by the standards that pertained to Jesus' day, thanks to social welfare. In that respect God has taken care of the poor at least in Western European and many other countries. Moreover not only has he taken care of the poor, but they have political rights unheard of in Jesus' time. May not be so in sub-saharan Africa, but that's a governmental thing. No individuals can do anything in countries where armed gangs patrol the streets.

The real pit of today's society is moral wickedness, but that too was prophesied. Which goes back to the point of the original OP. It is imperative that Christians forsake the world and its wickedness. If they do not, then going to church on Sundays is pointless.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
the healthy trust in god is trusting in jesus' teachings of how we should live our lives. faith is that everything, that god wants for us, is for our own benefit. but we are selfish and greedy and misguided. when we say ''we have faith in god'' we should mean that we live in accordance to god's laws, and we do not wait for magical miracles.
Despite the fact that, according to the Bible passage I just quoted (among others), Christians are commanded to "wait for magical miracles," as you put it?

syo

Despite the fact that, according to the Bible passage I just quoted (among others), Christians are commanded to "wait for magical miracles," as you put it?
bible should be studied with caution, i think. or else we all would wait for miracles.

To believe someone to be a Christian is to place a standard upon them that can never be reached in this life. That is important to understand and that is something that should still be considered the greatest honor to that perceived Christian. We all fall short of the mark. That truth is undeniable to Christians. But we strive to be a Christian like Jesus. We fight the good fight and keep the faith despite what we know about ourselves. Not the people around us but ourselves. Excluding God, any truth about a person can only really be known by that individual. Not outsiders who pretend to be God and pass judgment on others whom they can only have a fleeting idea of. The hardest thing to face is yourself because whether you admit it or not you know more than anyone else. With that knowledge will you withdraw from the temporal world and enter into the spiritual world of God? Will you seek his guidance and allow yourself to be transformed and embark on a journey that has no beginning and no end? Take care.

Reactions: syo

Scott C.

Just one guy
this post is an excellent question.

modern christians believe that god is a magician, that will magically alter the worshiper's life. modern christians believe that, if they pray, then god will grant them every wish, like the genie in the lamp.

but that's not how god works.

god made the cosmos, and then he sent jesus christ, to show us the rules of how we should play the game of life.

modern christians do not care about the rules of how we should live our lives, and instead, they pray for miracles, genie in the lamp god.

I like the phrase "Work as if it all depended on you. Pray as if it all depended on God." God will always do what's best for us, but that does not mean we will always get what we think we want. Also, I believe that God is willing and ready to provide us certain blessings, which are contingent upon our asking him in faith.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You're confusing different things. God is trusted for salvation. Of the poor, God said, "The poor you will always have with you, and you can help them any time you want." Mark 14;7.
The passage I quoted talked about food and clothing. It sure seems to me that it was about physical needs.

Moreover the poor in today's society are, if not rich, then at least comfortable by the standards that pertained to Jesus' day, thanks to social welfare. In that respect God has taken care of the poor at least in Western European and many other countries. Moreover not only has he taken care of the poor, but they have political rights unheard of in Jesus' time. May not be so in sub-saharan Africa, but that's a governmental thing. No individuals can do anything in countries where armed gangs patrol the streets.
So the poor are generally doing okay, so there's no need for God to intervene further?

Does this mean there's also no need for human charity?

David T

Premium Member

modern christians believe that god is a magician, that will magically alter the worshiper's life. modern christians believe that, if they pray, then god will grant them every wish, like the genie in the lamp.

god made the cosmos, and then he sent jesus christ, to show us the rules of how we should play the game of life.

modern christians do not care about the rules of how we should live our lives, and instead, they pray for miracles, genie in the lamp god.
Some...

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This is a viewpoint akin to a mule wearing blinders.

I know of many fathers who try to stop their children who are about to be eaten by wolves (analogy) but can do nothing to stop it because of free will.
Nonsense. People help each other without violating "free will" every minute of the day.

What you're talking about is limitation: we often can't help others because we're flawed, limited beings that can't fix everything.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
To believe someone to be a Christian is to place a standard upon them that can never be reached in this life. That is important to understand and that is something that should still be considered the greatest honor to that perceived Christian. We all fall short of the mark. That truth is undeniable to Christians.
What do you see as making up the standard you describe?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Nonsense. People help each other without violating "free will" every minute of the day.

What you're talking about is limitation: we often can't help others because we're flawed, limited beings that can't fix everything.
I didn't say people didn't help others without violating free will... I said that there are fathers who can't help there children even if they want to because of their child's free will.

How many fathers would like to help, tried to help and would do anything to help their addicted children but can't because their children don't want to be helped?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I didn't say people didn't help others without violating free will... I said that there are fathers who can't help there children even if they want to because of their child's free will.
When someone does a thing, this is a sign that the thing can be done.

How many fathers would like to help, tried to help and would do anything to help their addicted children but can't because their children don't want to be helped?
So God has already helped those in need to the point that anything more would violate their free will?

Same question for you: does this mean that there's no need for human charity?

If God's already done all that he can, what can there possibly be left for us to do? You don't think you're more capable than God, do you?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I like the phrase "Work as if it all depended on you. Pray as if it all depended on God." God will always do what's best for us, but that does not mean we will always get what we think we want.
So where's the room for human charity? I would think that if God really is giving a person what's best for him, then that person is doing fine. Any help I could give won't improve his situation... right?

suncowiam

What makes you or anyone an authority to define what modern Christians are?

outlawState

Deism is dead
The passage I quoted talked about food and clothing. It sure seems to me that it was about physical needs.

So the poor are generally doing okay, so there's no need for God to intervene further?

Does this mean there's also no need for human charity?
In respect of the "good samaritan" opportunity for doing good, I think it could be fairly said that opportunities for such financial aid are more rare now, although there are always people in need. Yet how much need? Christians are required to promote the kingdom of God, first, and not satiate the needs of the "not so well off" just because they happen to be not so well off.

Christianity is not political communism, and Christian charity is, scripturally, mainly limited to Christians, of which there are plenty deserving. What Christians do must aim to promote the kingdom of God, so don't think that it's a Christian's duty to provide a social welfare service for pagans.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
When someone does a thing, this is a sign that the thing can be done.
Tell that to the ones that have lost their loved one.

So God has already helped those in need to the point that anything more would violate their free will?
I wouldn't say it that way... let me rephrase.

God has done everything He could do to open the door for help to reach humanity when His son died on The Cross. However, the precedent (or law of firsts) is still in place. If humanity doesn't want His help, He won't force it on us.

Same question for you: does this mean that there's no need for human charity?
Again, I wouldn't say it that way... let me rephrase since our desire to help those in need is a God attribute.

God gave mankind the dominion on this earth and He enjoys being a co-partner in the effort. He isn't a sugar-daddy. If we, as parents, did absolutely everything for our children, we would have irresponsible children.

So God partners with mankind and wants us to be His hands and feet and as we respond, He does what only He can do while we do what we can do as those who have dominion.

Practical application:

God knew I needed food. I was working (commission sales) and doing everything I could do but circumstances delayed sales and I had no money. So my wife and I prayed (no one else knew of our situati

As the story was related to us, in the afternoon these three elderly ladies are driving and the one sittiing in the back said "I believe God wants us to buy groceries for Ken and his family" (not exact words as its been over 30 years now). The other two said, "Yes, that would be a nice thing". But just kept driving.

About 10 minutes later the one in the back said, "I think we need to buy them groceries now". God doing what only He can do - moving hearts to do things. That early evening, we had food for the family.

God partnered with the three women.

Jesus application:

15 And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness a free will issue: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.

16 And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:

17 And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?

18 And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.

19 And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.

20 But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?

God blessed him but expected him to be rich towards God by helping the poor (a commandment from God)

21 So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.

God expects us to be like Him and help others as partners in the dominion of this earth. If there are poor on this earth there can only be a couple of reasons... 1) Someone wanted to be poor rather than work, 2) Some people are covetous and don't want to listen to God no matter what He says.

If God's already done all that he can, what can there possibly be left for us to do? You don't think you're more capable than God, do you?
Because of above your question has been answered.

Last edited:
If there was a perfect system divined in which all people were relieved of their physical and mental sufferings/hardships what place would there be for perseverance and patience? Or greater yet, faith? There would be no need for charity. No need of sacrifice for another's sake. Our idea of perfection may not be God's idea. Would a man no perfection if he saw it? And if he did would that idea change in his mind over time?

I prayed for things in the past and received them and come to find they are what caused me some of the worst pains of my life. Did God send me those things? Did I not have the wisdom or strength to appreciate what I thought I wanted at the time? Have I changed? Do I know what I want? I ask myself these questions now and I try my best to be patient, persevere and keep the faith through my daily life. I wonder if death came now would I have held on to my faith until the last moment? God and myself may be the only ones who will know. I guess what I want to say is that God is an experience and explanations, while noble, can not come close to the heartfelt presence.

idea

Question Everything

There are also those who condemn Christians for not "being Christian" - for not solving the world's homeless problems, for not taking care of all their neighbors, for not fixing everything and everyone.... fixing people's problems is not how g-d works? I guess it is not how Christians work either... so what is the point of any of it?

idea

Question Everything
If there was a perfect system divined in which all people were relieved of their physical and mental sufferings/hardships what place would there be for perseverance and patience? Or greater yet, faith? There would be no need for charity. No need of sacrifice for another's sake. Our idea of perfection may not be God's idea. Would a man no perfection if he saw it? And if he did would that idea change in his mind over time?

I prayed for things in the past and received them and come to find they are what caused me some of the worst pains of my life. Did God send me those things? Did I not have the wisdom or strength to appreciate what I thought I wanted at the time? Have I changed? Do I know what I want? I ask myself these questions now and I try my best to be patient, persevere and keep the faith through my daily life. I wonder if death came now would I have held on to my faith until the last moment? God and myself may be the only ones who will know. I guess what I want to say is that God is an experience and explanations, while noble, can not come close to the heartfelt presence.

Faith in what? In ourselves? In our own two feet and hands? G-d won't help us because that would rob us of our character-building experiences, so really - even in religious circles, it's all up to me, myself, and I? So faith in what exactly? sounds like we are all supposed to save ourselves to me.