• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What causes earthquakes & Volcanoes?

Arlanbb

It is interesting to read some of the writings of the American prophets that started in the 1800's. One is Mrs. E. G. White, the prophet of the Seventhday Adventest church, has this to say about what makes Earthquakes and Volcanoes.
"The coal and oil frequently ignite and burn beneath the surface of the earth. Thus rocks are heated, limestone is burned, and iron ore melted. The action of the water upon the lime adds fury to the intense heat, and causes earthquakes, volcanoes, and fiery issues." Patriarchs and Prophets, p.108.
It looks like Mrs. White's God didn't tell her the real reason about the tetonic plates etc. Any thoughts about her statement?:rolleyes:

Watchmen

Premium Member
200 hundred years from now I hope someone reads your post and rolls their eyes, wondering what weirdo believed tetonic plates are the cause of Volcanoes and Earthquakes.

Arlanbb

200 hundred years from now I hope someone reads your post and rolls their eyes, wondering what weirdo believed tetonic plates are the cause of Volcanoes and Earthquakes.
The problem I see is that E. G. White claimes God told her these thing, I'm only stating what science states, if i'm wrong @ least i don't have to blame it on God.:run:

ittarter

The problem I see is that E. G. White claimes God told her these thing, I'm only stating what science states, if i'm wrong @ least i don't have to blame it on God.:run:

She wouldn't have to either. She could blame herself. Just like we do.

[Watchmen=quote]200 hundred years from now I hope someone reads your post and rolls their eyes, wondering what weirdo believed tetonic plates are the cause of Volcanoes and Earthquakes.[/quote]

Ha! Absolutely.

S-word

Are you suggesting that the so called prophetess "E. G. White"from the 1800s is correct and todays proven scientific observations are wrong?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The difference is, plate techtonics is a scientific theory, and, thus, arrived at by research, testing and analysis of real data. It is reasonable, observable, testable.

Subterranean fire and chemical explosions was mere speculation, given weight by claims of divine revelation (which, arguably, carried less weight than the original conjecture).

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
There were people who thought that putting up lightning rods caused earthquakes because it made god angry.... People like most of the religious establishment of the day.

In America the earthquake of 1755 was widely ascribed, especially in Massachusetts, to Franklin's rod. The Rev. Thomas Prince, pastor of the Old South Church, published a sermon on the subject, and in the appendix expressed the opinion that the frequency of earthquakes may be due to the erection of ``iron points invented by the sagacious Mr. Franklin.'' He goes on to argue that ``in Boston are more erected than anywhere else in New England, and Boston seems to be more dreadfully shaken. Oh! there is no getting out of the mighty hand of God.''
Franklin's Lightning-Rod.

wa:do

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I'm saying there's no such things as "tetonic" plates.
Well, that is certainly instructive. Any chance you are going to be addressing the Geological Society of America any time soon to bring them up to speed?

Re the OP: It is always entertaining how far people will extend their belief in the absence of facts.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I'm saying there's no such things as "tetonic" plates.

Is this a case of "I don't believe in something, regardless of the evidence that supports it, just because it happens to conflict with a personal religious belief, which lacks any evidence to support it."?

Do you think that's honest?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
A tetonic plate is a fragment of crust that moves in relation to other fragments. Like the Pacific plate slides against the North American plate and the Cocos plate (and the Juan de Fuca plate to the north) to make life annoying for California and the west coast.

wa:do

Watchmen

Premium Member
Frubals to atotalstranger (if he hadn't called me douchy).

the point is - we all make mistakes - White did 200 years ago and the OP author did too - was White's thoery really so out-of-line? it was a guess based on the information available to him - that he attributed to God is irrelevant - for example, early dietary regulations found in the OT may have been claimed to come from God - but really, the people were just making common sense decisions based on the info available

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Frubals to atotalstranger (if he hadn't called me douchy).

the point is - we all make mistakes - White did 200 years ago and the OP author did too - was White's thoery really so out-of-line? it was a guess based on the information available to him - that he attributed to God is irrelevant - for example, early dietary regulations found in the OT may have been claimed to come from God - but really, the people were just making common sense decisions based on the info available

That's the problem: when it comes to religion, how do you separate the human errancy from divine revelation, especially when people aggressively defend the former as if it were the latter?

Watchmen

Premium Member
That's the problem: when it comes to religion, how do you separate the human errancy from divine revelation, especially when people aggressively defend the former as if it were the latter?

You categorize it as either scientific or spiritual knowledge.