• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What caused the Big Bang?

Repox

Truth Seeker
Siti suggested a thread about the big bang. Can science ever explain it, or did God do it?

Here is my explanation. Because science cannot explain how the universe came from nothing, God is the only possible explanation. God doesn't use physical laws and a scientific laboratory to create, He uses his holy will.

What do you think?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Siti suggested a thread about the big bang. Can science ever explain it, or did God do it?

Here is my explanation. Because science cannot explain how the universe came from nothing, God is the only possible explanation. God doesn't use physical laws and a scientific laboratory to create, He uses his holy will.

What do you think?
That is called "The God of the Gaps" argument. It's used a lot by theists, and discounted a lot by atheists.

that is, anywhere science can't currently explain something, insert God as the explanation.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk

What do you think?

"God is the only possible explanation"

I have a different theory:

Donald Trump traveled back in time to before the Big Bang and was elected leader of the universe which lead to the explosion we know as the Big Bang.

Electus de Lumine

Magician of Light

What do you think?

I think that Yahweh may have had a hand in it, but science has it's own numerous explanations so it is by no means the only possibility like you claim.

allfoak

Alchemist
Why is this in the deism section?

iStockFuse.jpg

siti

Siti suggested a thread about the big bang.
I think I suggested there already was one - which there is here.

Of course we don't know what caused the BB - but the evidence that it happened is pretty conclusive. Personally, I'm with Neil Turok on this question - my suspicion is that it was something rather than nothing that banged - exactly what, I don't know, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it was probably no less real and physical than the something that we observe as the physical universe today. So if "God" did it, then I am guessing that the most likely answer is that God IS the universe - that is to say, the universe itself is eternal and therefore the ultimately uncaused cause of its own existence. Personally, I don't mind calling it "God" (which probably makes me what might be called a scientific or naturalistic pantheist (I prefer a different term which I will discuss in a separate thread some time) - others may think this is entirely superfluous and we should just be happy to say that the universe just exists and call it just the universe in much the same way that theists claim that God just exists - with the single exception that there is at least some evidence that the universe exists.

siti

Why is this in the deism section?
I am guessing because being the cause of the Big Bang is just about the only God doctrine that Deism retains. That, and Repox seems to have misinterpreted my comment in another deism thread (as noted above). And perhaps it will induce a few more RF tourists to visit the arid plains of the deism sections.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

What do you think?
It isn't that science cannot explain how the Big Bang occured. There are MANY mathematically consistent physical theories that are well capable of explaining the Big Bang. The PROBLEM is we, at present cannot observe the period before the CMB era, because the universe was OPAQUE upto that point. So until, we can technologically find a way to peel back this opacity, no observational evidence will be available that can help us determine which of the many possible and consistent theories are actually true.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
There was no Big Bang. It was an implosion which sucked debris from an alternate dimension.

Yep, that is what Brane Theory (The Ekpyrotic Model) says.

And being from another dimension, - it appears to come from nothing, and expands in all directions.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Yep, that is what Brane Theory (The Ekpyrotic Model) says.

And being from another dimension, - it appears to come from nothing, and expands in all directions.

Well I just made that theory up too. See how easy it is??

Shad

Veteran Member

No idea. Our idea of nature is always developing and reforming. The quantum world would of been a realm of magic centuries ago. The heavens above us were once literally heaven. To ask the question including the parameter of "ever" suggests that there is no more to learn about a subject at a specific point. This type of thinking has been shown to be wrong over and over.

Here is my explanation. Because science cannot explain how the universe came from nothing, God is the only possible explanation.

This is just an assertion.

God doesn't use physical laws and a scientific laboratory to create, He uses his holy will.

God magic...

What do you think?

A set of assertion with no actual argument. I can do the same. Nature did it use nature magic.

Super Universe

Defender of God

What do you think?

There was no big bang. The scientists discovered that almost all galaxies were moving away from each other so they figured that if they ran it in reverse then everything came from the same location. The idea of all matter coming from a big bang violates what we know about gravity but the scientists still accepted it because the data showed movement outward.

Then they looked at the universe and saw that matter was evenly distributed. If there was a big bang that produced all the matter in the universe then the matter would be in a sphere shape with a large empty space at the center and outside but that's not what they see.

Then they found that the galaxies are not just moving away from each other but they are speeding up so they came up with dark matter and dark energy.

The idea of the big bang is so accepted that no scientist is ready to abandon it. I think they're going to have to figure out dark matter and dark energy before they will finally dump the big bang.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I think the Big Bang and all things are part of the creative action of Consciousness/God/Brahman. In my school of thought, Consciousness/God/Brahman is the fundamental ground of existence and the material universe is derivative from the fundamental.

siti

If there was a big bang that produced all the matter in the universe then the matter would be in a sphere shape with a large empty space at the center and outside but that's not what they see.
That might be what would expect to see from 'outside' the universe but from within you would only be able to see as far as light could have travelled since the BB (actually a little while after the BB because the very earliest phase would be opaque and therefore not visible to us at all) and that works out very roughly to be about 46.5bn light years years in any direction (because the universe is expanding the light that takes 13.8bn years to reach us came from galaxies that by now are 46.5bn light years away - if they still exist). But the whole universe might be hundreds of times that size meaning we can neither see the center nor the edge even if the universe has them (which we don't know). The universe could be infinite in extent for all we know.

What we do observe, in the bit of the universe that we can 'see', is that the stuff is pretty well spread out in all directions, just as one would expect when something goes bang.