• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What came before the Big Bang?

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
hey Thief,
Somewhere in the Cosmos, are many, many big bangs occurring.
Each one a piece of the remnants of the big bangs that occurred before it.
Hey Thief, it's kinda like Genesis, with a lot of small g's at the start of the words.
Now what always bothers me is the thought of what was before the "first" big bang.
Same old question, no new answers. I think you will say "God".
What bothers me a little more is, how old is your God.
What bothers me even still more is, where was He born,
and of course, who were His parents and so on and on and on.
Now what bothers me is, where is negative infinity, somewhere out there beyond the light !
Damn...same old question again...
~
'mud

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
hey Thief,
Somewhere in the Cosmos, are many, many big bangs occurring.
Each one a piece of the remnants of the big bangs that occurred before it.
Hey Thief, it's kinda like Genesis, with a lot of small g's at the start of the words.
Now what always bothers me is the thought of what was before the "first" big bang.
Same old question, no new answers. I think you will say "God".
What bothers me a little more is, how old is your God.
What bothers me even still more is, where was He born,
and of course, who were His parents and so on and on and on.
Now what bothers me is, where is negative infinity, somewhere out there beyond the light !
Damn...same old question again...
~
'mud

Eventually you get to a singularity of Existence. It is pure in essence and Monadic. It is One. It is there by necessity, for without it, there would be nothing. Something cannot come from nothing. Even quantum particles and vacuums are something. So what is there is the first touch of the pen to the paper, before ever a word was writ. :) After than came change, and then more change. Evenutally that brings about us. That's when the problems start.. hee hee

idav

Being
Premium Member
The answer to the OP is we do not know.

I wouldn't say an initial singularity ever existed if we weren't able to literally observe the origins of the universe.

Before the big bang was a singularity.

The important thing to consider is that the maths have been making predictions, that is the correct maths. I'm not a maths person but say someone is correct I guess we would still say they don't know but they could be right and we are weeding out the bad maths a lot quicker now.

Reaching back across 13.8 billion years to the first sliver of cosmic time with telescopes at the South Pole, a team of astronomers led by John M. Kovac of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics detected ripples in the fabric of space-time — so-called gravitational waves — the signature of a universe being wrenched violently apart when it was roughly a trillionth of a trillionth of a trillionth of a second old. They are the long-sought smoking-gun evidence of inflation, proof, Dr. Kovac and his colleagues say, that Dr. Guth was correct.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/18/s...tresses-landmark-theory-of-big-bang.html?_r=0

godnotgod

Thou art That
Something cannot come from nothing.

Where else can it have come from, if not from No-thing? Is it possible for you to even conceive of 'Something', without Nothing being present at the same time?

Everything comes out of Nothing, and returns to Nothing, just as all sound comes out of Silence. No Big Deal. After all, its just Nothing, you see.
:)

Robert.Evans

You would need to learn what nothing actually is before making that statement with credibility. Nothing is a state of mind in your context.

I made mention of the science play on words.
But 'nothing' in this context would clearly mean NOTHING in the FULLEST extent of the word... so no God no life no space no time, no energy. Abslolutly nothing. That cannot be. There has to be something that IS. You are playing with words in your own mind to try and discount the idea of something, and that something might be God. Nice try.

Robert.Evans

Who is the 'we' again? The royal 'we' perhaps. If you speak of science, so what? Science is always behind in understanding. Common sense of scientists tells them that there is something... it is only atheistic thinking that says there is nothing. Closed dumb thinking. :(

Robert.Evans

Where else can it have come from, if not from No-thing? Is it possible for you to even conceive of 'Something', without Nothing being present at the same time?

Everything comes out of Nothing, and returns to Nothing, just as all sound comes out of Silence. No Big Deal. After all, its just Nothing, you see.
:)

Haha.. Ok very good, perhaps even funny. By I am all laughed out now with outhouse. But if it returns to 'nothing' then that is something. All things are something. You can't seriously think that everything just from nothing in the FULLEST sense of the word... can you?

Robert.Evans

I think there is a tragic misuse of this word 'nothing' by some scientists. The more honest ones that don't have a book to push like ATHEIST Krauss, will say it comes from nothing that is physical that we understand, but rather from virtual particles. It will take a pragraph. But when one is in league with Dawkins, and death, how can one sell a book saying Everything comes from Something? Firstly it would not sell too well, and secondly if there is something there, that something could be God. Even physicist Kaku has said that something must be before the big bang and that a powerful mind is probably behind it all.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Or one may take my position of whatever caused our universe I'll call "God" and pretty much just leave it at that since taking it any further is beyond my job description.

outhouse

Atheistically
Whats missing is what attributes such a spark of somethingness would have.

Because we don't know. Again, a supermassive blackhole that exploded would look like, and leave the same evidence we see today.

But at this time Israelite mythology has no bearing on this reality what so ever.

It Is idiocy and a perversion to try and place any aspect of mythology into reality that is not addressed by this mythology.

There not need be any sign or spark for a natural occurring event.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Because we don't know. Again, a supermassive blackhole that exploded would look like, and leave the same evidence we see today.

We know things and are learning things about black holes. It is amazing they were predicted before observing their effects.

Lets start here on things we DO know, as far as attributes to such an event as the big bang. A black hole contains information.

The black hole information paradox[1] results from the combination of quantum mechanics and general relativity. It suggests that physical information could permanently disappear in a black hole, allowing many physical states to devolve into the same state. This is controversial because it violates a commonly assumed tenet of science—that in principle complete information about a physical system at one point in time should determine its state at any other time.[2][3] A fundamental postulate of quantum mechanics is that complete information about a system is encoded in its wave function up to when the wave function collapses. The evolution of the wave function is determined by a unitary operator, and unitarity implies that information is conserved in the quantum sense. This is the strictest form of determinism.
Black hole information paradox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

godnotgod

Thou art That
Haha.. Ok very good, perhaps even funny. By I am all laughed out now with outhouse. But if it returns to 'nothing' then that is something. All things are something. You can't seriously think that everything just from nothing in the FULLEST sense of the word... can you?

Yes, I can. What if the 'something' you think is real happens to be an illusion on a level much higher than the garden variety illusion we all know and love? After all, you must admit that recent knowledge about the atom tells us that it is over 99.99999% empty space, with the rest being energy. There is virtually nothing to an illusion. It's entire life is fully dependent upon that which is creating it, and that which is creating it is found in Pure Nothingness, which is none other than Pure Consciousness.

When you are asleep, dreaming, you do not know you are dreaming. Upon awakening, you realize you were dreaming. But the first level of awakening, called Waking Sleep, is still existence within a dream. You are still asleep, living in a dream world you only think is real. A higher level of Awakening is needed to then come to the realization that you were, in fact, only dreaming, and that the world you perceived as real is merely an illusion. It is this higher state of conscious awareness that can see into the nature of Reality and tell you that this world is unmistakably an illusion manifested from an underlying source. This realization is called 'Enlightenment'.

Negate negation itself. That is Absolute Nothingness.

Skeptisch

We know things and are learning things about black holes. It is amazing they were predicted before observing their effects.

Lets start here on things we DO know, as far as attributes to such an event as the big bang. A black hole contains information.
What is wrong with agreeing that we don’t know what came before the big bang? :computer: