• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Buddhist items do you have for worship?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Yakov -

Again, this is going to be very different depending on what tradition and school of Buddhism you choose. The styles of meditation will also vary widely.

zenzero

Its only a Label
WORSHIP.
When the self is only a part of the whole and is not a sepearte individual; who is to worship and whom?
When all gestures are prayerful in itself; worship is over. Life itself becomes a worship / prayer.
Love & rgds

Ozzie

I have a Buddha fountain loungeroom decoration that was given to me. It helps to remind me of what the fat guy looks like from time to time.

St0ne

Yeah I have nothing really and even if I have any statues or whatever I wouldn't worship to them in anyway. I don't think worship will get me anywhere.

Random

I have a statuette of Buddha Tara that I worship as a goddess. Actually, she is one thrid of my Trinity of goddesses that I worship @ home, the other two being the Blessed Virgin (of Christianity) and another, secret goddess that I can't tell you about cos' I swore an oath of secrecy.

I actually am probably insane, and fully realize Buddha Tara is not a "goddess" in Buddhist lore, but I like being a flexi-theist when the old "GOD" thing creeps up on me.

I sometimes am reminded of Sakyamuni Buddha during meditation, but I do not pay him divine honours. He would not have wanted that...

Please forgive me if it seems inappropriate for me to post in the Buddhist DIR forum, hope you understand my own personal religion has a lot in common with Buddhism. :)

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I totally worshop Putin, whoever he is, as well as Ozzie and that Engyo fellow, and the Buddha himself. Buddha consciousness is indicative of worship of all of them ... at once (umm...not).

Ozzie

I totally worshop Putin, whoever he is, as well as Ozzie and that Engyo fellow, and the Buddha himself. Buddha consciousness is indicative of worship of all of them ... at once (umm...not).
Ah. You must have one of those Mr Ozzfest dolls we set up down under when we barbeque our meat. You know, the one that says occasionally, "where's my beer?".:p

anders

It looks like I have more items than most of you practicing Buddhists, but I don't use them for worship... One not too small dorje + drilbu ensemble, and a small bronze statuette of the Green Tara, and a 1½ ft long silk woven thingy depicting eight sacred symbols, all bought in Darjeeling.

Random

It looks like I have more items than most of you practicing Buddhists, but I don't use them for worship... One not too small dorje + drilbu ensemble, and a small bronze statuette of the Green Tara, and a 1½ ft long silk woven thingy depicting eight sacred symbols, all bought in Darjeeling.

Hmm...bronze statue of green Tara. How does that work?! :confused:

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Well, if ya really wanna know.......

This is our temple's altar space. Not visible in photo: mokusho (wood drum), ke (cast iron bell), chudaiko (smallish taiko drum), inken (small hand bell), and lots more. Doesn't include other statues for specific ceremonies, and so on and so forth. We have different candlesticks and vases and offering bowls that get changed out as necessary or on a whim. Lots of different kinds of incense, including shaved sandalwood. A fairly wide range of options as far as lighting goes - the pic shows it fully lit, but we often dim it down for meditation sessions.

The big point here is that none of this stuff is NECESSARY. It's cool, and fun, but it's not NECESSARY.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,
Once again.
Please note that physical things are not at all important for prayers; specially Budhha himself had said that even if he comes in the way to cut him.
Meaning that prayers are akin to meditation and in meditation there should not be even the trace of any thing.
Totally ZERO / Shunya / nothingness.
Love & rgds

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I guess it all depends on if we're talking about my personal altar items or our altar located at our Sang'ha.

Either way..........Engyo buddy, you got me beat by a mile. Spectacular! :bow:

Peace,
Mystic

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Well, to be honest this is our temple altar. It just happens to be located in my house at this time.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,
To pray/worship means to communicate.
Whom is one supposed to communicate to? some unknown god?
No basically what is, one is part of that. And that is in each individual's centre.
To communicate to that centre one does not need any object.
Objects are basically used to create an environment where thoughts are more focussed or lessened to one object and thereby being near that centre to communicate.
When that object too is not there rather there remains no thoughts one reaches the centre directly what ZEN tries to achive instantaneously.
Choice is individual.
Create a room like Engyo or like me who is communicating with the centre while communicating with all by writing/talking/etc.
Love & rgds