• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book(s) are you reading now?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am reading Unbowed by Wangari Maathai. 2006 For anyone not understanding what good the feminist movement can do, read it. I think it defines what feminism is quite well. It is not about feminism. It is about a woman who might have done nothing for Kenya if she had not embraced her rights as a human being. The fact that she is a woman might have prevented her good works, but it didn't.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Now reading Thomas Beckett. Only just started, don't have the book on me, and can't remember the author. But I'm travelling a bit at the moment, so I tend to churn through the books.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Now reading Thomas Beckett. Only just started, don't have the book on me, and can't remember the author. But I'm travelling a bit at the moment, so I tend to churn through the books.

Is that St. Thomas Beckett, as in the martyr venerated by the Catholic and Anglican churches?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The Te of Piglet - Benjamin Hoff.
What is Tao? - Alan Watts.
Hua Hu Ching, The Unknown Teachings of Lao Tzu.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Send them to me. I want to learn Spanish, but I'm too lazy and don't have the resources. :p

My mums learning by attending a Spanish coffee club. they all sit around talking Spanish s drinking coffee I guess. Cheaper than textbooks!

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. Finished the first two-- The Blade Itself, and Before They are Hanged-- and now onto the third-- The Last Argument of Kings.

It's relatively satisfying. Games of Thrones-ish feel, but not nearly so complicated or original. I'm a pretty die hard sci-fi/fantasy book geek and it's always a pleasure to stumble upon an author that doesn't make me embarrassed for the genre, usually due to poor writing (especially dialogue *shudder*) or over-the-top plots which tend to just be scientifically sounding word salad.

This series has really good character development, with non-obvious heroes, a good plot with enough whiffs of a back history to make it feel real, and very natural dialogue.

I will definitely read more of his books.

Last edited:

rageoftyrael

Veritas
If you like a good mystery/thriller any jack reacher novel by Lee Child is a good read. I've read pretty much all of them. Very good books, expecially considering I don't much like mystery books.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Namaste,

I am reading A Dance with Dragons. This would be my fourth time reading this novel.

Dear GRRM: Stop writing like a turtle on Ambien (CR). Release the 6th book already! Chop chop!

Regards,
M.V.

Knight of Albion

Currently reading:

'The Silver Birch Book of Questions and Answers' Compiled by Stan A.Ballard and Roger Green.
A treasure trove of great wisdom, insight and spiritual truth.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. Finished the first two-- The Blade Itself, and Before They are Hanged-- and now onto the third-- The Last Argument of Kings.

It's relatively satisfying. Games of Thrones-ish feel, but not nearly so complicated or original. I'm a pretty die hard sci-fi/fantasy book geek and it's always a pleasure to stumble upon an author that doesn't make me embarrassed for the genre, usually due to poor writing (especially dialogue *shudder*) or over-the-top plots which tend to just be scientifically sounding word salad.

This series has really good character development, with non-obvious heroes, a good plot with enough whiffs of a back history to make it feel real, and very natural dialogue.

I will definitely read more of his books.

LOVE me some Joe Abercrombie.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Just finished Dance of Dragons, the 5th book in the Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. These are impressively done, and it's pretty devastating to have to wait another year and half or more for the next book.

And if Jon is dead, so help me, I am going to be very, very angry. You don't want to see an angry lemur.
I just finished it last night. Second time round. Not sure what I'm going to read next... Feast for Crows took me a long time to get through
my theory it's that he goes into Ghost, or he gets miraculously healed by the Wildlings

Last edited: