• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book(s) are you reading now?

Dezzie

I started reading "Dani's Story". It's a true story written about a little girl that was abused and considered a feral child. The book was written by her adoptive parents. Very sad that this little girl went through all that she did.

Dani's Story

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
After my daughter's suggestion, just finished "The Hunger Games" and about ready to move on to the second book in the series.

It's a familiar plot, done before in "The Running Man" and "Battle Royale", but I like the mythology Suzanne Collins is weaving so far with Panem's 12 existing districts (or should I say 13?).

Dezzie

After my daughter's suggestion, just finished "The Hunger Games" and about ready to move on to the second book in the series.

It's a familiar plot, done before in "The Running Man" and "Battle Royale", but I like the mythology Suzanne Collins is weaving so far with Panem's 12 existing districts (or should I say 13?).

It's a very good series. I love the second book the most. The third one on the other hand, was kind of disappointing.

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
OK. I don't know if the book you are reading is of the same caliber as Orientalism, but I'd love to get your opinion of what you've read when you finish.

It might be awhile. I didn't start too long ago and I have exams coming up soon, so I'm going to be busy for the next month.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

My niece said I should read the Hunger Games, too. I have it on order at the library- and it has about 700 holds on it.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
My niece said I should read the Hunger Games, too. I have it on order at the library- and it has about 700 holds on it.

The movie release has made it really difficult to find any of the series at any library. :D

My daughter told me she loves the Hunger Games a lot more than she liked Twilight. She read that and thought, "meh." I read Twilight and thought, "cute." (I can see the appeal to teens and tweens)

Both Dana and I, though, are saying, "Go Katniss!!!" As the heroine for a story geared toward young adult readers, Katniss Everdeen kicks major tush.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
It's a very good series. I love the second book the most. The third one on the other hand, was kind of disappointing.

Finished the series a few days ago. I actually liked the third book the most, tbh. Without giving anything away, Katniss descends psychologically from so many years in battle. I can see the appeal from the first two installments with the Games, but Mockingjay brought a grit and a searing sense of madness to the narrative.

Fighting for survival was the obvious theme that played throughout her story. I did appreciate the reality of the cost of surviving in specific scenarios and having to live with the choices.

I read the whole Twilight series the same time as my daughter, and while I love a romance from time to time, I'd recommend The Hunger Games over Twilight for teen and tween readers any day.

Marco19

Researcher
right now The Book of Mormon (reading it for the 2nd time),
and then i'll read a novel (some say it's the first novel in the world) titles:
the tale of Genji ... i've already ordered it :)

41l0V3DJZBL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I am reading two novels- A Place of Secrets by Rachel Hore and The Heart Mender by Andy Andrews.

I am reading several nonfiction books of various readings of religions and books about religion:
The Illustrated World's Religions by Huston Smith
World Religions: From Ancient History to the Present Edited by Geoffrey Parrinder
Confucious The Analects translated by Arthur Waley
Tao Te Ching Loa Tzu translated by Stephen Mitchell
Ramayana by Krishna Dharma

Rakhel

I just finished two books
Word of Honor by Nelson Demille. Vietnam vet forced back into service to face a court-martial for a massacre his troop committed.
And Black Magic by Cherry Adair. Some apocalyptic romance novel. Wizards, snakes and sex all in one. Literally

Straw Dog

I just started reading the Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson. It's kind of a sci-fi satire with absurd elements. It's not bad so far.

Straw Dog

Tao Te Ching Loa Tzu translated by Stephen Mitchell

You seem to be a pretty heavy reader. I haven't read a whole lot lately, but am trying to do more of it. I am also reading the "Te of Piglet" on and off. It's the companion novel to the "Tao of Pooh". I thought you may have read one or both before given your affinity for Pooh culture.

How do you like Stephen Mitchell's version of "Lao Tzu" so far? It's not a direct translation, but a version of a translation I believe. I think he was trying to make it more accessible to a Western audience. Not that it can't still be useful for contemplating. Everything is useful or it wouldn't have become everything. If that makes any sense.

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
You seem to be a pretty heavy reader. I haven't read a whole lot lately, but am trying to do more of it. I am also reading the "Te of Piglet" on and off. It's the companion novel to the "Tao of Pooh". I thought you may have read one or both before given your affinity for Pooh culture.

How do you like Stephen Mitchell's version of "Lao Tzu" so far? It's not a direct translation, but a version of a translation I believe. I think he was trying to make it more accessible to a Western audience. Not that it can't still be useful for contemplating. Everything is useful or it wouldn't have become everything. If that makes any sense.

Mitchell's version is rather poetic and it flows- rather like a stream (kind of odd to say that about a book).

I want to get the feel of various philosophies and religions, so I thought reading their literature would be helpful. Are there any translations that you know of that are good.

Straw Dog

Mitchell's version is rather poetic and it flows- rather like a stream (kind of odd to say that about a book).

I want to get the feel of various philosophies and religions, so I thought reading their literature would be helpful. Are there any translations that you know of that are good.

I'd recommend the translation by John C. H. Wu. It comes in pocket size. I like to carry it with me on hikes and what not. It's probably best to read several different translations at least to get a feel for the philosophy.

Take it easy.