• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book(s) are you reading now?

Yerda

Veteran Member
What is the What by Dave Eggers. Best book I've read in yonks. I mean it incredible and everyone should read it immediately.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
A book about Stoicism, which is extremely boring and it ended up putting me to sleep at work the other day.
In Cold Blood, which reminds me a lot of why I don't like living here. Not just the unpaved dirt roads, but just when I got the feeling those people, especially Herb, would be pretty nasty towards a non-theist, I flip the page and read that religious affiliation is very important to them, just as long as it's some [Christian] affiliation.

Baladas

An Págánach
Living Non-Duality by Robert Wolfe
Taoist Teachings from the Book of Lieh Tzu by Lionel Giles
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. I keep putting it down to play some Assassin's Creed. Not because it's bad, but because it's kind of.......I don't know? Draining? And I keep needing to breathe, I guess. I am also going to start reading a story or two a night from 1001 Arabian Nights. So that could prove exciting. Next up is the Lunar Chronicles (I'm excited!) then Ready Player One. And then either Odyssey or Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. Haven't quite decided yet. :p

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Well, it is actually an AUDIO book, so I didn't read it but LISTENED to it in my car!
$_12.JPG

Book: A Battle for the Soul of Islam - An American Muslim Patriot's Fight to Save His Faith
Author: Dr. M. Zuhdi Jasser

EXCELLENT! Five Stars!

Zuhdi_headshot.jpg

I LOVE his politics, and that is why (even though his main point is to fight Politicized Islamic Extremism by way of Islam and a Republican form of government).
He is the PRESIDENT of the American Islamic Forum for Democracy:

[ur]Dr. Zuhdi Jasser | American Islamic Forum for Democracy
Dr. Zuhdi Jasser | American Islamic Forum for Democracy

He is a GREAT AMERICAN, and I hope he forms an Islamic Party in the USA one day. In the back of my mind, I myself have fantasy of starting a Hindu party in the United States (Hindu American Renaissance Party of the United States of America, H.A.R.P.) - an alliance of Hinduism as foundational to a free society and American Values under a Republican form of government that affords religious expression and values of Duty (Dharma). He has much the same perspective, though from an Islamic view. I would certainly advocate his political action even though, again, his main point is to remove the true plague of Islamic Extremism which is the politicized element that is actually very modern in roots and counter to Democracy and Republicanism. My personal bias is for a Republican system rather than a Democratic system, he is more inclined towards Democratic government but his points are valid.

Great read, great story, very personal and he has lived through life's experience that has given him the erudite vision that he is endowed with!

Baladas

An Págánach
Tao Teh Ching - Lao Tzu (translated by John C.H. Wu)
365 Tao - Deng Ming-Dao
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (STILL! I took a brief break)

SpentaMaynu

One God, All in all
- The Spiritual Growth Bible
- Soekers by Pieter Cilliers (it's an Afrikaans book, 'Seekers', about a church minister turned tv producer in South Africa coming to terms with his homosexuality)
- Twelve Red Herrings by Jeffrey Archer (all his books are awesome)
- Also reading a poetry book

Marisa

Why Evolution is True by Jerry Coyne, and just because every now and again I like a little fiction Hominids by Robert J. Sawyer.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
I am reading "Masks" by E. C. Blake - good read. At age 15, all must don the spell-infused masks. "... mesmerizing new fantasy series, draws readers into a world in which cataclysmic events".

17707611.jpg

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
"Beautiful Bali" by Sir Robert Blackwood (1970, Hampden Hall, Melbourne, Australia).

Quite a find. Bali in 1969 before it was developed as it is today. Full of pictures and insights, and a rare map put together by the author himself. If you can find this book, purchase it, very nice insights to Bali prior to the tourist age. Here I discovered the story of Goa Gadja, or "Elephant Cave" where inside there is an ancient Ganesha Murti, and also 3 famed Lingams as well. I will write up a story on Goa Gadja later, but there is rich history on that place on the internet.

This book inspired me to write a short story based on facts (historical fiction) of The Great Bird of Batukau (Bali 1951, and the flying pterosaurs).

bZKZdh.jpg

VLIKed.jpg

mxyvja.jpg

g95NYB.jpg

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
William Least Heat-Moon - Blue Highways
Douglas Coupland - Microserfs
Foucault - Madness and Society
Heidegger - Being and TIme

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Just bought E V Rieu's translation of The Odyssey. Also finished Lolita a few weeks ago; one of my most favourite books now, along with Politeia.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
The Fall of The Ottomans, by Eugene Rogan, 2015 published by Basic Books.

This book is reenforcing a lot of what I knew, and the sources of the modern terrorist movements. Excellent!

0.jpg

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I suspect many here are avid book readers.

I am currently reading two, in tandem.

One, which is excellent, is Warlock by Wilber Smith. (Ancient Egyptian local)

The second, which is not quite so interesting is, The Sundered World by Frank Ryan.

How 'bout you folks?
I havnt read a good book in three years. Now my eyes are better i picked up East of Eden by John Steinbeck. I read Of Mice and Men, thats a good short book.

Counte of Monte Christo is superb. More secular? Mary Higgins Clark.

Oh, you have to read My Sisters Keeper. Dont watch the movie. Read the book first.

Okay. Carry on.