• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book r u reading?

JIMMY12345

I bet The Bible, The Koran, The Veda's The Torah will all be mentioned but does not have to be religious.
I was in a charity shop and picked up David Niven's The Worlds a balloon. Hilarious 6/10.
Your turn.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I've finished reading most of my books. All that I have on the plate right now is reading a very long instruction manual for a computer program.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Currently:

Other Minds: The Octopus, the Sea, and the Deep Origins of Consciousness by Peter Godfrey Smith

The Perfectionists: How Precision Engineers Created the Modern World by Simon WInchester

exchemist

Veteran Member
I bet The Bible, The Koran, The Veda's The Torah will all be mentioned but does not have to be religious.
I was in a charity shop and picked up David Niven's The Worlds a balloon. Hilarious 6/10.
Your turn.
Yes I read that and it was very funny indeed.

I've just finished "The Essex Serpent", by Sarah Perry. The Essex Serpent - Wikipedia

I found it a lovely book. Plot details are in the link. Set in late Victorian London and Essex, it is really a story about love, in all its various forms, i.e. not just romantic, sexual love (though there is that) but all kinds of love. In the process, it shows the reader that late Victorians were a lot freer in their behaviour and a lot more modern than the classic stereotype. (Perry did a lot of research before writing it.) It is also very warm and humane and - most important for me, these days - avoids resorting to the appalling traumas that so many modern writers seem to feel they must include in the plot to harrow the reader.

I found it quite rich: I would read a chapter and then stop and think about it a bit before embarking on the next. But I really did want to know what happened next, so there was no lack of appetite to continue.

I recommend it highly. It's the best novel I've read in years.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

I've just finished "The Essex Serpent", by Sarah Perry. The Essex Serpent - Wikipedia

I found it a lovely book. Plot details are in the link. Set in late Victorian London and Essex, it is really a story about love, in all its various forms, i.e. not just romantic, sexual love (though there is that) but all kinds of love. In the process, it shows the reader that late Victorians were a lot freer in their behaviour and a lot more modern than the classic stereotype. (Perry did a lot of research before writing it.) It is also very warm and humane and - most important for me, these days - avoids resorting to the appalling traumas that so many modern writers seem to feel they must include in the plot to harrow the reader.

I found it quite rich: I would read a chapter and then stop and think about it a bit before embarking on the next. But I really did want to know what happened next, so there was no lack of appetite to continue.

I saw Essex..Serpent, but actually I read Wessex and Serpent Breath and my mind jumped to Uhtred of Bebbanburg. :relaxed:

JIMMY12345

You probably enjoyed the Magus (John Fowles)
Your fleshed out short description was most useful. Realise just Title and author is not enough.Hope other posts follow your educative format.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Uhtred is the main character in the Last Kingdom. In the books he's incredibly massive and has long, blond hair. But TV Uhtred got all the looks.:D
Oh that's interesting. I don't know the books or the TV adaptation, but my son read a large number of Cornwell's Sharpe series about the Napoleonic Wars when he was a teenager. He found them very good.