• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book is yours now?

Alceste

Vagabond
See, just because we don't have a word for it in English, doesn't mean we can't describe it with multiple words.

Westerns aren't so unenlightened now, are they?

Not "unenlightened", per se - Westerners, who are brought up with a certain world view and whose insights are subject to certain limitations inherent in their language, have great difficulty understanding a perspective that arises from a totally different cultural foundation and language. But, because there is great variety among people and the best insights transcend language and culture, individual Westerners who are predisposed to a certain point of view will have an easier time than others grasping what is actually being said. The trouble is, almost all of them think they've definitely grasped it - a sure sign that they have not. :D

If you personally relate to the insights being communicated, you may find Taoist philosophical concepts give you words for many things that have no parallel in English, even when multiple words are used to describe them. If you get really into it (for example, start practicing an art based on Taoist philosophical principles - such as Tai Chi), you will learn that no English translation of chi is adequate to communicate what it is. It's easier and more accurate just to say chi. Same goes for tao and te.

Last edited:

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
Yeah, that sounds about right, & thanks for the welcome. Some other good books on Taoism are "the Tao of Pooh" & "the Te of Piglet" by Benjamin Hoff & "Watercourse Way" by Alan Watts.

I second these recommendations. I have never read The Watercourse Way, but I own the books by Benjamin Hoff. They are wonderful.