• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the topless and nude women supposed to represent?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Yes, they can represent all kinds of things, I'm just more curious why they would be in a government building.

Have you ever been to a capitol building before? Were there topless and nude women painted on the walls or ceiling? They are nice works of art and pleasant to gaze at, I just don't get what it has to do with government. I'm guessing one of them was Lady libertatis and another was Columbia.

Perhaps a female body represents certain virtues like justice, freedom, or democracy? idk, I've never been on a personal tour where it was all explained.

Just thought I would ask your opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I'm very aware that there is a whole theology behind the human body that is full of meaning and symbolism. I'm just not really informed about how it is viewed by the government and what it's symbolic of. I imagine that paintings in a government building have meaning that somehow relates to government, no?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Most of those statues of topless women (and a few nude women) that you sometimes see on public buildings were from the late 1800s, early 1900s. There was a cultural assumption in the art world at the time that such nudity represented honestly, transparency, open-mindedness, etc. Most of the women also represented things like truth or justice -- and their nudity was meant to express the notion that truth and justice are honest, and "have nothing to hide", etc.

By the way, in New York City, almost all of the statues of nude or semi-nude women during that period were based on the same model. A young woman who was very popular with artists at the time. Just a bit of trivia.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Most of those statues of topless women (and a few nude women) that you sometimes see on public buildings were from the late 1800s, early 1900s. There was a cultural assumption in the art world at the time that such nudity represented honestly, transparency, open-mindedness, etc. Most of the women also represented things like truth or justice -- and their nudity was meant to express the notion that truth and justice are honest, and "have nothing to hide", etc.

By the way, in New York City, almost all of the statues of nude or semi-nude women during that period were based on the same model. A young woman who was very popular with artists at the time. Just a bit of trivia.
That explanation is sufficient

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

You would know! If you didn't I would be very, very disappointed in you.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, they can represent all kinds of things, I'm just more curious why they would be in a government building.

Have you ever been to a capitol building before? Were there topless and nude women painted on the walls or ceiling? They are nice works of art and pleasant to gaze at, I just don't get what it has to do with government. I'm guessing one of them was Lady libertatis and another was Columbia.

Perhaps a female body represents certain virtues like justice, freedom, or democracy? idk, I've never been on a personal tour where it was all explained.

Hooters-Opens-New-Location-in-Koh-Samui-Thailand.jpg

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member

I think we need more honesty, transparency and open-mindedness in the world today.

lukethethird

unknown member

The drawings represent the government workers lifestyle.

dfnj

I always thought it represented full disclosure in government or openness. When government functions are done in secret they are always the most corrupt.

Besides, female anatomy is the most beautiful thing on the planet.